Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130309 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #780 on: January 15, 2015, 06:51:39 pm »

Historically, my gramps saw Avatar and said: "It's basically Fern Gully."

Yeah!... well not really.

Only in superficial qualities (in that it is about a human who is shrunk so he is fairy sized against an environmental monster)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 15, 2015, 08:39:38 pm »

I had that exact same thought!

It really is exactly the same plot as Fern Gully, except with technobabble instead of magic.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 15, 2015, 08:42:17 pm »

It really is exactly the same plot as Fern Gully, except with technobabble instead of magic.
Quaritch and Hexxus are around the same level of sexy...
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 15, 2015, 11:13:46 pm »

Except we all know it's really just Dances with Wolves IN SPACE with the "right" people winning this time. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 16, 2015, 02:32:08 am »

Welcome to Joseph Campbell's Monomyth.

Really, the thing is everywhere, from Avatar, to the Bible, to Star Wars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 16, 2015, 07:14:54 am »

Very interesting.

Also very "fixable" if you have a mac cannon pointing the dwelling of said "hero" and he has no way to know you are up there.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 16, 2015, 07:54:03 am »

?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 16, 2015, 08:10:49 am »

Really? The Bible has a mother goddess? Any of the characters has went into the underworld? Which ones refused the call?

The trick is that because you HAVE to stretch it to apply to everything all you have to do is relax the elements.

And once you relax the elements you just get a basic plot layout that applies to almost anything.

Character sees something, character does something, Character sees someone, something bad happens, something good happens, the end... In any order

Above is the monomyth boiled down to all the details people look at.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:14:09 am by Neonivek »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 16, 2015, 08:19:39 am »

I agree, it's one thing to try to fit every round peg Movie into a monomyth square hole, and another to point out that the plot of Eragon is the same as Star Wars nearly scene for scene. Which it was...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 16, 2015, 08:49:21 am »

?
That I would like to see that. Avatar 2. The RDA comes back with a ship fitted with a MAC cannon. They shoot the darn tree, hopefully killing that traitor, end of the monomyth. Restart mining operations with even heavier military support. Perhaps even some government and heavier weapons support, now that the natives are proven threats to humanity. End of movie. I know it would be a really bad and short movie, but it would also be probably what would happen in real life.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 16, 2015, 09:26:39 am »

I know it would be a really bad and short movie, but it would also be probably what would happen in real life.
What you do, is make another movie about mostly unrelated stuff but in the same or similar universe, and have at some point some characters mention off-hand a successful mining operation on the planet Pandora that some PETA activists are trying to boycott due to alleged wildlife preservation issues or something.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 16, 2015, 09:33:06 am »

I know it would be a really bad and short movie, but it would also be probably what would happen in real life.
What you do, is make another movie about mostly unrelated stuff but in the same or similar universe, and have at some point some characters mention off-hand a successful mining operation on the planet Pandora that some PETA activists are trying to boycott due to alleged wildlife preservation issues or something.
:P hahahaha that's a good one!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 16, 2015, 10:23:40 am »

Really? The Bible has a mother goddess? Any of the characters has went into the underworld? Which ones refused the call?

The trick is that because you HAVE to stretch it to apply to everything all you have to do is relax the elements.

And once you relax the elements you just get a basic plot layout that applies to almost anything.

Character sees something, character does something, Character sees someone, something bad happens, something good happens, the end... In any order

Above is the monomyth boiled down to all the details people look at.

They do say "Very few myths contain all 17 of the stages".  Which makes it even easier to fit vastly different stories into the framework, of course.  I still think it's a fun exercise and highlights common elements in most stories.

Well, until I actually read the steps and Campbell's comments on them.  Wow.  Not only are these steps metaphorically (even misleadingly) named, they're tied to some disturbing, obsolete concepts.  It's understandable since he was talking about ancient myths I guess, but even then he's shoehorning them into meanings I'm not sure match the original intent.  And the overuse of metaphor to stretch the connections makes it hard to take seriously.

I was going to say that the Virgin Mary is a Mother Goddess, and that Jesus goes to the underworld.  But the Goddess step isn't about a goddess at all!  It's about unconditional love, usually from the love interest, which unites the spiritual hero with the worldly world.  Campbell just calls the step "The Meeting with the Goddess", presumably because unconditional love is a divine trait in a woman.

But just... read his comments on that section.  Again, he's talking about ancient myths, but... ugh.  He did specifically try to fit Jesus into these somehow.  It can work if you consider "The Queen Goddess of the World" to be his apostles, which I think highlights the absurdity of his metaphors.  I don't know if that's what he claims, or if he just made a bunch of assumptions about Mary Magdalene.

This touches on at least two topics with high derail potential...  If that happens I'll make a Monomyth thread.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 16, 2015, 10:28:16 am »

Joseph Campbell was just trying to generalize based off of his own observations.

This falls under a sort of George Orwell staple called "People misattributing his work far beyond his intent to an absolute predictive template". Taking his work which is a loose generalization and upgrading it to an outright template that almost all fiction "must" be following.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:30:00 am by Neonivek »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 16, 2015, 10:39:21 am »

If that happens I'll make a Monomyth thread.
Which I promptly blow up with a MAC cannon.  :P

The basic criticizing towards that is here
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:42:10 am by LordBaal »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 88