Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130010 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1215 on: December 04, 2015, 01:07:24 pm »

I didn't even touched the issue of sex itself because that's beyond reason. It could go from a harmless (if shocking) activity to certain death, or anything between, passing of course by the oh! all fun possibility of your genitalia dissolving or the act making you go sick beyond limits.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: December 04, 2015, 01:12:38 pm »

It just irks me that hollywood writers cant seem to pull off a human interest story without using sex.

It gets double plus ungood when they do that with aliens in sci-fi.

I think so too. It always bothered my just how hard it is to find a sci fi story about aliens in which the aliens are at least a bit inhuman. Its also my biggest turnoff in regards to star trek, and I actualy like star trek, mind you.

I always hated how hard they tried to invent an in-universe reason as to why pretty much every alien that shows up in the series are humanoids with weird foreheads. Ocasionaly, some non human alien shows up, but they're never actualy important or interact with the plot much, and seem to have a very human mindset.

There was this 4x game thing for the pc in which pretty much every alien species looked REALLY alien and even non euclidean, but I can't remember the name of it. I faintly remember one of the species being entirely composed of flying female blob things that seem to be made almost entirely of sexual organs, boobs and jello :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: December 04, 2015, 01:20:41 pm »

I'm not sure which game you're referring to, but if you're looking for games along those lines, Ascendancy was a race that was distinctly short on humans or humanoid aliens of the funny head variety.  It did include the classic sapient rocks, "critter folk" (rats, lizards, and bugs), amoeba, and body snatchers, but also stuff like sapient sponges, donuts, walking eyes, both sapient gas and water, and...huh.  Actually, looking closer at the Govorom, I think this might actually be the game you're referring to.  I never caught that before.  To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure I see it, so I could easily be wrong, but...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 01:24:22 pm by Culise »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: December 04, 2015, 01:24:02 pm »

Yep, thats the thing.
Here's a screenshot of the alien I was referring to.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course, I can still vaguely make out some human shapes in it, but they did a better job at making aliens than, say, hollywood. Granted, some of the aliens look hilarious (oh noes, space mammoths), but hey.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: December 04, 2015, 05:48:08 pm »

I recall that there was some variation among the Narn of Babylon 5
Related 'fact' (some slight disputes, but sounds good, so I'm rolling with it), regarding the Centauri race's styling.  In particular the hair-styling.

Londo (or his actor, Peter Jurasik, rather) went into make-up to prep him for the so-far-undecided hairstyle he was to get to represent the 'ancient and decadent republic' theme.  They drew his hair back in the now-familiar fashion just to get ready for the final decision of what to do with it by JMS.  JMS saw it like that and thought that was their proposal, and liked it, so it quite literally stuck like that!

(There's a lot of discussion about the hairstyle in season 1 being not as neat as in later seasons, but (in-universe) that can be explained by Ambassador Mollari was in a dead-end position with only a degree dead-end pride in his appearance.  His social status entitles him (by long-standing standards) to the length of the hair-crest, but he's too interested in various leisure activities and too surrounded by non-Centauri to take too much care.  His star rises (and, even when it isn't doing, he's trying to make it rise) in later series and so he takes more pride in his appearance.  Naturally, in a patriarchal society (ostensibly so, anyway, Londo's three differently-scheming wives show that the females of the species could at least sometimes be quite formidable background powers), their women have zero status and thus no 'fan' at all (or restrict themselves to a ponytail from an otherwise bald head).  And an emperor can do what he likes.  So, when a new one comes along who wilfully overturns the old standard, he is of course copied by many an ingratiating lacky.  But not Londo, who is a traditionalist who has no interest in changing his accustomed ways.)

Of course, there's a lot on B5 that is intriguing in that way.  Separating that which is canon from that which is fanon is a sometimes thankless task, though. ;)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: December 04, 2015, 06:25:28 pm »

It just irks me that hollywood writers cant seem to pull off a human interest story without using sex.

It gets double plus ungood when they do that with aliens in sci-fi.
I didn't even touched the issue of sex itself because that's beyond reason. It could go from a harmless (if shocking) activity to certain death, or anything between, passing of course by the oh! all fun possibility of your genitalia dissolving or the act making you go sick beyond limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7WwOOuwSlM#t=10m05s
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:30:18 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: December 06, 2015, 11:55:20 pm »

In Megamind, "Tighten" is given a tiny baby-sized suit that "stretches", so it fits his muscled super body. But when he turns back to Hal, the suit doesn't shrink back to the original size. I mean, it could be like, it only stretches but doesn't shrink, but that doesn't seem very useful (I mean eat too many sandwiches one day then slim back to super, and you forever have a suit with a permanently overstretched gut).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: December 07, 2015, 02:57:36 am »

Isnt that what spandex actually does though?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: December 07, 2015, 11:58:38 am »

Stretch and then go back to original size? Or stretch and remain stretched forever?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: December 07, 2015, 12:12:33 pm »

Stretch and then go back to original size? Or stretch and remain stretched forever?

It does both in real life :P

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1225 on: December 07, 2015, 01:38:47 pm »

Depends how much you stretch it. Plastic deformation is a thing.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: December 07, 2015, 01:42:00 pm »

ITT: bay12's experiences with spandex clothing

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: December 18, 2015, 07:55:07 pm »

And, finally, the single non-spoilery nitpick/question, did anyone else feel like they tried shoving three movies into one with this?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: December 18, 2015, 08:04:51 pm »

And, finally, the single non-spoilery nitpick/question, did anyone else feel like they tried shoving three movies into one with this?
Oh, you preferred when Peter Jackson tried to stretch one movie into three with The Hobbit?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: December 18, 2015, 09:10:38 pm »

Oh, you preferred when Peter Jackson tried to stretch one movie into three with The Hobbit?

To be honest I think Peter Jackson's adaptation of The Hobbit has fewer pacing problems than the original novel did.

EDIT:
Tolkien was like Lovecraft and Dickens, he told good stories badly.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 88