Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can a torn artery heal?  (Read 7060 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Can a torn artery heal?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 09:23:04 pm »

Shame werebeastism is one of the quickest fading abilities in the game...  I think a hulk-syndrome would be cooler and more !!FUN!!.

An anger counter or a hunger counter or frustration or even a counter of recent combats enjoyed by the afflicted.  If such a counter crossed a threshold: BAM!  Instant rampaging monster.  Such a threat is more random, less controlable, and would add a small element of fun to your adventurer.  He's on his way to the sewers, in the market "hey, that smells go---" BAM! Ramaging beast!  I would personally even add a "blackout(disable player control at least)" for the period if friendlys are around and hostiles aren't...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 01:01:27 am »

Shame werebeastism is one of the quickest fading abilities in the game...  I think a hulk-syndrome would be cooler and more !!FUN!!.

? ? ?

An anger counter or a hunger counter or frustration or even a counter of recent combats enjoyed by the afflicted.  If such a counter crossed a threshold: BAM!  Instant rampaging monster.  Such a threat is more random, less controlable, and would add a small element of fun to your adventurer.  He's on his way to the sewers, in the market "hey, that smells go---" BAM! Ramaging beast!  I would personally even add a "blackout(disable player control at least)" for the period if friendlys are around and hostiles aren't...
The problem with counters and the like, is that is starts to blur the line between DF and a generic video game. And DF can't compete with generic video game graphics :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 01:03:22 am »

Motor and sensory nerves are hardcoded in their behaviour, and 'activated' by the [HAS_NERVES] tag. The nervous tissue in the tissue file is for spinal tissue.

I'm pretty sure their healing properties are still determined by the tissue itself, isn't it? Or is that behavior hardcoded as well?

et ketra.

Wow.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 01:05:02 am »

Pff. There are plenty of counters in the game already, you just don't see them, like cave adaptation and combat hardness (doesn't care about anything anymore etc.)

I would love a "current anger state" counter that could be used in interactions as COUNTER_TRIGGERs.

Motor and sensory nerves are hardcoded in their behaviour, and 'activated' by the [HAS_NERVES] tag. The nervous tissue in the tissue file is for spinal tissue.

I'm pretty sure their healing properties are still determined by the tissue itself, isn't it? Or is that behavior hardcoded as well?

The only nervous tissue that can be modified in-game is the one for spines.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 01:06:35 am »

Pff. There are plenty of counters in the game already, you just don't see them, like cave adaptation and combat hardness (doesn't care about anything anymore etc.)
Oh yes they definitely exist, but they're not counters :P

When you're thirsty DF tells you you're thirsty. Not at 60% optimum liquidation

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 02:23:23 am »

That's also a counter, just one you don't see.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 02:25:07 am »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that how thirsty you are in DF occupies some range between perfectly hydrated and dehydrated to death. Even if that range were just made up of what you see (nothing, thirsty, dehydrated, dead), that's still effectively a "counter", just one with rather low resolution.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 04:14:36 am »

That's a value that gets tracked, not a counter :/

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 04:29:23 am »

...I've been using them as synonyms >_>

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 11:42:43 am »

That's a value that gets tracked, not a counter :/

... Could you please explain to me what you think the difference is?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 01:39:58 pm »

This is what a counter looks like:

Code: [Select]
while(horriblecounter < Urist){
do_something();
Urist++;
}

This is probably what a condensed thirst code looks like:
Code: [Select]
if(hours_passed == 5){
thirstlevel++;
change_thirst_display(thirstlevel)
}

So, technically, it isn't a counter, but rather a variable that increments upon a certain condition, and the thirst display reads that variable to determine thirst/color.

So, both of you are right. But either way, there are already maaaannnyyy things that DF tracks quantifiably. Anything with a variable is like that. DF has a shit ton of variables. Everything is a variable. Literally.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.
Pages: 1 [2]