Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43

Author Topic: LP Civ4:C2C (6050 BC - Slightly delayed)  (Read 141118 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
LP Civ4:C2C (6050 BC - Slightly delayed)
« on: July 29, 2012, 07:23:14 pm »

Hello everyone, and welcome to yet another attempt at an LP by yours truly :P

The game I'm going to play, Civilization 4, should be familiar to all of you, and even if you haven't actually played the game you'll no doubt have heard of it. If you want to read an excellent LP of the base game, I highly reccommend Zoolooman's LP in the LP Archive. But this LP is not of the base game, but a mod called Caveman2Cosmos, an overly ambitious mod that attempts to push the engine to the limits and stuff everything, from discovering fire to transcending the limitations of the physical universe, into one mod.

Mind you, I'm not going to be alone when playing this. I'll be depending on you all to make insane, unreasonable and plain stupid demands of me. Bonus points for having no idea what's going on and making demands anyway. Or you can make sensible ones, those are fine too. But the point is, I will listen to any request, no matter how inane, and attempt to fulfil it. I have three rules in case of mutually contradictory requests:
-Majority vote wins
-If it's a tie between doing something and not doing something, status quo wins
-Else, the senior request gets fulfilled

These are the settings that have been decided upon:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's a list of civilizations and leaders:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We went with the Jivaro Empire, led by Charles de Gaulle.

Table of Contents:

Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World Leaders (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:38:41 am by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 07:26:44 pm »

Ooh, ooh! Do Unrestricted Leaders!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 07:31:49 pm »

Wow, that sounds like a big unwieldy mod.  I like how they used Empire Earth art for the splash page.

I say turn the speed up slightly, because that seems needlessly slow, and Always War off because that's just silly.

For a civilization, I say go with the Jivaro Peoples (one of two I had to look up), because the idea of headhunters in space is awesome.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 07:41:20 pm »

I think we should be the Aztec Empire. Human sacrifice your way to the stars so we can sacrifice even more to them. I mean, if we're going to worship and sacrifice people to something, stars sound like a good target to me.

Show us the full list of victory conditions and explain any that aren't apparent. I'm curious.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 08:19:54 pm »

OK, so:
1 vote FOR Unrestricted Leaders
1 vote FOR higher Marathon speed
1 vote AGAINST Always War
1 vote FOR Jivaro Empire
1 vote FOR Aztec Empire

Also, victory conditions:
Time: Have the highest score by the end of time
Conquest: Conquer every other civ
Domination: Have at least 30% of the world's population in your city and 65% of the world within your borders; tends to ruin conquest games
Cultural: Have three cities with legendary culture
Religious: Your state religion is present in at least 80% of your cities and 75% percent of all cities worldwide, no other religions may be present in your cities and you must have built your state religion's shrine(ie Temple of Solomon for Judaism, Masjid al-Haram for Islam)
Space Race: Build a starship and fly to Alpha Centauri! This requires going well beyond the modern era in terms of technologies researched.
Diplomatic: Build the UN and become elected president of the world.
Scientific: Research some seriously advanced techs and build the Ascension Gate.
Mastery: DISABLES ALL OTHER VICTORY CONDITIONS. Although I suppose if you destroy every other civ you win by default. It's basically Time victory, but with a different method of scoring. Launching a spaceship gives you 100 points for example.

I'd like to note that most of the future tech stuff hasn't been implemented yet. There's plenty of techs that do nothing at all beyond the modern era - it's basically half-baked. It's still perfectly possible to play and the developers are currently working on implementing the colonization of Mars and Luna, which will be on separate maps. Oh, and beyond that they're also intending to implement galactic travel and colonization.

And since we will apparently be using Unrestricted Leaders, does anyone have an opinion on who our leader should be? I can tell you the traits they have, but compiling a list of every leader's traits would be exhausting, so please just ask about individuals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 08:24:23 pm »

I vote for Mastery to be the only active victory condition.

And actually examining the leaders? Hah. Our leader must be none other than Charles De Gaulle, Undying God-Emperor of the Aztec Empire.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 08:30:42 pm »

I vote for Greek Empire with MIGHTY STAILN as our leader.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 09:56:56 pm »

Honestly the one thing that STILL bugs me about civilisation that I am astounded doesn't bug anyone else is how you can play some civilisations WAAAAAAY outside of their existance.

It is honestly one of the major things that breaks the entire game for me.

So as a suggestion: NO America... Heck no Canada either (and I am Canadian)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 12:06:26 am »

So it looks like we'll be the Jivaro Empire, led by Charles de Gaulle, at marathon speed, aiming for a Mastery victory. Other settings are as outlined in the OP.

I'll probably wait a bit longer for some more votes. Maybe an hour or so, then I'll generate the world.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 12:53:00 am »

Honestly the one thing that STILL bugs me about civilisation that I am astounded doesn't bug anyone else is how you can play some civilisations WAAAAAAY outside of their existance.

It is honestly one of the major things that breaks the entire game for me.

So as a suggestion: NO America... Heck no Canada either (and I am Canadian)
It doesn't bother me much, nobody said games have to be realistic, and besides how many of today's civilizations were even around 5000 years ago? The only one I can think of is China, and China has undergone so many changes that it's difficult to even call it the same civilization.

If the game had all the empires eventually collapse, and new civilizations cropped up and were consumed by other civilizations all the time, it might be more realistic, but it would also be rather hard to play.

Also, I just thought I'd point out that it's funny that you can play as the Greeks, and the Byzantines. Also the Ottomans and the Arabian Empire. It'd be awkward if those were the only civilizations around... I vote we have a game that includes all those empires together...

Or better yet, have the German Empire, the Hunnic Empire, the Holy Roman Empire... and why not throw in the Gothic Empire as well, they were German too, right?

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 12:57:45 am »

We can easily have all of those be AI nations, if that's what you want.

Also, supposedly the mod does allow for civs to collapse and splinter, and for barbarian cities to grow into full-fledged civilizations as well. I haven't played enough to see it happen though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 01:30:57 am »

besides how many of today's civilizations were even around 5000 years ago?

Some I can forgive because they represent them before they took the form we see today. Sure Britain didn't exist in 2000 BC, but there were people there.

But America cannot use that excuse... AT ALL!

We can easily have all of those be AI nations, if that's what you want

Naw its ok I am being irrational again.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 01:43:32 am »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this, but the choice of nation isn't actually that important. You see, in this mod, all nationality does is divide civs along continental lines and restrict leaders, and we're using unrestricted leaders. There are no unique national units or buildings, at least not like vanilla Civ. Since the Jivaro are from America, they get to build the Culture (American), and once they research the proper techs and have a city in the right environment, they can build stuff like Culture (Jivaro), Culture (Apache), Culture (Inuit) and Culture (American). Yes, it's a bit silly, although it's less silly than having Mexicans in a tundra and desert-dwelling Vikings.

We can easily have all of those be AI nations, if that's what you want

Naw its ok I am being irrational again.
But it's no fun if all I get is rational demands :P

But of course, you're the one who decides what you want.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 02:10:30 am »

Alright, I think I've waited long enough already. I'm going to start the game now and I'll see you again once the game's set-up is complete. It takes a long time to start a game with a big map and a big mod, you see.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 02:13:39 am »

Watching this. No votes (and it looks like you're starting already anyway, so whatever), because I don't have BTS or this mod. Looks very interesting though :D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43