Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43

Author Topic: LP Civ4:C2C (6050 BC - Slightly delayed)  (Read 141133 times)

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 12:01:05 am »

I think we should name the Volcano Armok. The waters near our city will be called the Sea of 12 Bays, and we should rename our city to Bokslan. We should also master Fire & Cooking, because Armok demands it.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2012, 12:06:53 am »

Alright, I suppose I should get on with it and make another update.

Forward the butter!

We have some names now. Unfortunately our city ran afoul of the character limit, but that just makes it sillier.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We work on capturing fire and then cooking. Oddly enough, you have to build the captured fire national wonder before you've actually caught any fire.

Also, for some reason we are now the City State of Head Hunters. Why? Beats me. We don't even have a proper city.

And now we've captured fire. Kinda.

Here you can see the status of MP4. Currently our storytellers are coming up with an excuse for why we're stuck here, called a creation myth.

Later, we discover cooking. In the previous picture you saw how MP4 had slightly more unhealthiness than healthiness, right? This tech is enough to push us into healthy territory.

Now that we've researched cooking without having any fire, I decide on my own to aim for Hard-Hammer Percussion. Stone tools were an important feature of the stone age, after all, and the Stone Tool Maker is the premiere building of the prehistoric era. It starts out weak, requiring a lot of hammers for little gain, but it gets a lot of boosts from various technologies. It also reveals various stone resources; something I neglected to mention before.

First we research scavenging. It reveals a bunch of resources, but unfortunately there are none of those on this island.

Mt. Armok, dormant for many centuries, has begun to erupt once more.

We research tool making, which allows us to build clubmen(we started with a clubman but we couldn't build them).

Then we research Hard-Hammer Percussion.

And wouldn't you know it, there's a source of very nice rocks right next door! It's not within our borders yet, though, but once it is we can build Culture (Neanderthal), I think. There's also a hawk over there - I'll send our clubman out to hunt it.

Here's a bit more of the tech tree. Note that bonuses to the Stone Tool Maker are not listed on the picture, so techs like Chopping and Scraping don't appear as useful as they are. Also, Naturopathy is the first tech to found a religion - Druidism, although we have Choose Religion enabled - and we might be able to get it first.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:05:15 am by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 03:35:42 am »

Odd I thought Animism was the first religion. Hmmmm... Druids do have time machines... that explains a few things in this LP

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2012, 03:48:04 am »

Technically speaking there was no first religion, just a great many hunter-gatherer bands with lots of myths about the world. That said, there were probably religions before there were modern humans at all, being as some of our immediate ancestors were sapient too.

Civilization, and this mod by extension, are really just an abstraction so we shouldn't worry too much about it. Though I find it odd that this mod starts during the hunter-gatherer phase instead of at the Neolithic Revolution like the games normally do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2012, 04:07:09 am »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2012, 04:27:15 am »

PTW and get my name on anything bound to take a lot of punishment.
This is a blank sig.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2012, 04:31:38 am »

Technically speaking there was no first religion, just a great many hunter-gatherer bands with lots of myths about the world. That said, there were probably religions before there were modern humans at all, being as some of our immediate ancestors were sapient too.

Civilization, and this mod by extension, are really just an abstraction so we shouldn't worry too much about it. Though I find it odd that this mod starts during the hunter-gatherer phase instead of at the Neolithic Revolution like the games normally do.
A lot of this mod's decisions can be summed up as "ADD MORE STUFF". In fact, ADD MORE STUFF is pretty much the mission objective.

Incidentally, we'll probably found a religion eventually even if we don't go for Naturopathy early on. There's a big list and we have to choose one of them; I'll give you a complete list when I make the next update, probably. But it does include Asatru, Mormonism, Scientology and Tengriism, as well as more traditional fare.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2012, 04:52:20 am »

Well, clearly we will have to go with Scientology and take ourselves back to Xenu's Galactic Confederacy
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2012, 05:19:35 am »

The Jivaro practiced polygamy, so we could end up  Fundamentalist Mormon Native South American Headhunters in Space lead by an Undying Frenchman of questionable sanity and unquestionable badassery. And then we'll conquer the universe.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2012, 05:37:47 am »

I must PTW this.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2012, 08:07:03 am »

PTW as well.  Bloody hell this is in-depth.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2012, 09:15:38 am »

PTW
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2012, 09:18:37 am »

This is a scary-big looking mod.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2012, 11:15:27 am »

So I decided to install the mod and try it a bit myself... You didn't mention that this is the song that plays on the main menu?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2012, 11:58:45 am »

Ah hah! I knew it was familiar when I heard it in an LP video, but it's been so long since I heard it... Great, now I have to go through and watch all of his new stuff.

Oh, also, a vote for prioritizing getting to the point where you can discover and use water resources.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43