Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43

Author Topic: LP Civ4:C2C (6050 BC - Slightly delayed)  (Read 138434 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 02:41:10 am »

It is the dawn of the year 50000 BC.

We're in a pretty wet location. You can see muddy, lush and peat bog terrain there, and plenty of very long grass, which is useful early on for making grass huts I guess.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While not truly sedentary yet, this band of Homo Sapiens Sapiens must decide what area it will wander.

The game recommends that I settle a tile to the west, but I see little reason to. It'd take an additional turn and we'd lose out on access to bamboo, which gives us cheap armor. From what I can see, it might allow us to grow a bigger capital city with more food, but less production. If nobody objects to it, I'll settle where our settler is.

Here's our tech tree. As you can see, we haven't even researched nomadic lifestyle or language. That's pretty primitive. If nobody objects to it, I'll go for nomadic lifestyle and then gathering.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:36:31 pm by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 02:59:09 am »

Can we get a brief run-down on what each of those techs do?

Also, I vote for language. It's basically the first true step to civilization, after all.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 03:14:53 am »

Alright, I'll give you the rundown on the techs you can see:

Nomadic Lifestyle: Enables the wanderer, the earliest kind of scout, as well as a couple of promotions. Also the Sioux culture, but I don't think we're in position to build that.
Language: Makes all cities a little happier and enables the native language civiv(yes, language is a kind of civic in this mod).
Gathering: Enables the earliest worker, the gatherer, and the earliest improvements, grain camps and gathering camps. Also reveals various grains, fruits and nuts, as well as enabling several useful early buildings representing early food sources that boost food and production.
Cave Dwelling: Enables the cave dwelling national wonder, which starts a golden age and gives a defense bonus. Might allow us to build Culture (Neanderthal), but we probably don't meet the requirements.
Weaving: Early commerce boost that reveals a couple of resources.
Scavenging: Enables more early food sources, reveals most animal resources and enables the improvement for harvesting them, and enables some early military in the form of thieves and early unique units.
Controlled Fire: Lets us catch fire as a national wonder, which gives a fire pit in each city. Fire pits give +1 culture.
Herbalism: Enables an early food source and reveals tobacco, opium and peyote.
Cooperation: Enables some great general promotions, not very useful early on by itself.

If we're going to research language, we might as well beeline to the tech after Cooperation: Oral Tradition, the first "research tech" of the game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 03:26:00 am »

There are soo many things wrong with this... but then again Civilisation games were never about logical progressions of techs in any sort of historical way.

But... wow... Nomadic Lifestyle... needs to be researched?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 03:38:17 am »

I stick to my vote of language. It is the foundation of just about every great and not-so-great civilization known to man, and thus it should be the foundation of our own.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 03:39:44 am »

I stick to my vote of language. It is the foundation of just about every great and not-so-great civilization known to man, and thus it should be the foundation of our own.

I agree. Having our people be able to express the evolution we developed several forms ago would be nice.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 04:58:42 am »

Alright, I'll get started on the next update now.

EDIT:
Alright, we settle our first 'city', and it's called... Mayapan? Isn't that a Mayan city? Well, I guess the head hunters didn't really build any cities.

Also, if you look at the top right corner you can see the number of turns completed and the total number of turns in the game.

It's not a very impressive city I guess. Two things to note here: First, the unhealthiness comes mostly from our civics, which are primitive, but our leader also reduces city health by 1. Second, it takes a really long time for a city to grow early on. Again, this is because of our civics, which greatly increase the amount of food needed for cities to grow.

Our explorer finds our first goody hut!

They give us a map. I guess not every tribe knows the secrets of nuclear fusion.

Later, we develop language. Wait, how did the villagers give us maps if we're this primitive? They couldn't even tell us where stuff was because we couldn't talk! Come to think of it, we can't build huts, either! Damn you, tiny tribal villages! Damn you and your technological superiority!

Choices, choices...

I'm having some odd problems with a few screenshots. They're coming out oddly and I can't use them. So I can't show you the completion message of Nomadic Lifestyle, but I can show you the completion message of Gathering.

Unfortunately, we haven't found any resources. All we have found is a problem.

We're stuck on a small swampy island. And yes, I'm building a stick gatherer in Mayapan. It gives a production boost.

Anyway, I picked Cooperation as the next tech to research so we can get Oral Tradition, but you guys can veto that. Especially since a big chunk of the benefits come from the myths it unlocks, which require you to hunt, and it's damn hard to hunt on such a small island. And here I was, hoping to show off the hunting system soon.

A quick description of the new techs:
Shelter Building: Production and commerce. Very useful.
Basketry: Commerce.
Persistence Hunting: Hunting.
Tool Making: Warfare and food.
Cooking: Food.
Oral Tradition: Research
Tracking: Hunting and a bit of trade and warfare.
Trapping: Food, commerce and resources.
Hard-Hammer Percussion: Production.
Ground Stone: Food.
Prehistoric Music: Culture and happiness.
Prehistoric Dance: Culture and happiness.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:35:54 pm by Boksi »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 07:10:29 am »

Later, we develop language. Wait, how did the villagers give us maps if we're this primitive? They couldn't even tell us where stuff was because we couldn't talk! Come to think of it, we can't build huts, either! Damn you, tiny tribal villages! Damn you and your technological superiority!
And this is why I play with No Tribal Villages (or at least one of the reasons). I guess I'll be keeping an eye on this Let's Play as well.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 09:40:40 am »

Spoiler the Screenshots, It should let you scroll them.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 09:41:32 am »

I'm gonna vote for Shelter Building to get our people out of the rain and then Oral Tradition so we can tell our children about the... um. I guess so we can tell them about the tiny swampy island we're on and the other land on the horizon to the northwest and northeast.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 04:34:48 pm »

So the only demands made while I was a sleep were to spoiler my screenshots and go for shelter building and then oral tradition? I was hoping someone would come up with a better name for the city. It can be renamed, you know.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 04:36:16 pm »

And this is why I play with No Tribal Villages (or at least one of the reasons). I guess I'll be keeping an eye on this Let's Play as well.

I STRONGLY STRONGLY assume that Language represents a more formalised language.

Given that we had language before Homo Sapien Sapien.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 04:39:55 pm »

I STRONGLY STRONGLY assume that Language represents a more formalised language.

Given that we had language before Homo Sapien Sapien.
It probably represents something like the communication of abstract ideas.

I haven't switched to the native language civic yet, by the way. I'd rather get a several changes done in a big revolution, preferably during a golden age but if that's impossible then our leader's trait makes anarchy last a maximum of four turns.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 04:47:19 pm »

There are soo many things wrong with this... but then again Civilisation games were never about logical progressions of techs in any sort of historical way.

But... wow... Nomadic Lifestyle... needs to be researched?

I agree, that was my first question when I saw that.

Since we're on a swampy island, I conclude we are in fact on the site of our history's Jamestown colony, and thus should develop herbalism so as to export Tobacco post-haste!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 04:57:14 pm »

Oh jegus, we're really back there.

We should focus on expansion first. We need to get a kind of settler, then get some sort of boating ASAP. If we can get a sizable chunk of land under our belts by the time we hit the ancient era we should be good just turtling and researching the living hell out of the tech tree. If we're smarter than the AI, techwise, we can win any war.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43