Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Cloth shoes are serious business  (Read 14244 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Cloth shoes are serious business
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2012, 10:09:40 pm »

My god, you're right. I bet the same applies to arrows/whatever else you can shoot at walls, too. Maybe another use of the dwarven auto shotgun?

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2012, 10:19:52 pm »

I'll test it in the morning by pasturing some kittens in a catapult training room recovery trench, see if it hurts them.  They'll either take no damage, normal catapult damage, or falling object damage depending on how it works out.  If the stone DOES convert from a catapult projectile to a falling object when it hits the wall and drops, maybe catapults will finally be useful for more than pissing off distant elephants. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2012, 11:05:01 pm »

Now if only catapults could shoot kittens...

Here's schematics for an an animal launcher that I've come up with recently. Maybe that helps-- although I'd prefer to drop animals using bridges, since the use of minecarts includes the possibility of injuring them by hurling them against the wall, preventing you from effectively firing, say, giant war tigers. In most cases, dropping animals directly onto an enemy will hurt him quite badly, but leave the animal only bruised. It will also stun whoever it lands on, leading to easy mauling.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2012, 11:07:13 pm »

My god, you're right. I bet the same applies to arrows/whatever else you can shoot at walls, too. Maybe another use of the dwarven auto shotgun?

... It is as if a million voices cried out in pain, then were slowly silenced over the course of an hour by thousands of falling serrated glass disks.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2012, 09:04:22 am »

What if the bridge was in a 3x30 hallway, pointing outwards, with a 1x1 channeled out whatever-stockpile-tile one Z above it, so that you could reload it under combat circumstances? Would the dwarves put the items on the stockpile, effectively dropping them in the hole which leads to the loading chamber of the sockapult?

You could even make it a stockpile for lets say bolts, and set up a weaponsmith right next to it or something...

(My first post on these boards and its about accelerating footwear to lethal speed...)
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2012, 09:24:13 am »

I do not believe that would work.

Minecarts would probably be a better option.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2012, 12:08:54 pm »

Would the dwarves not place the items there or would you be unable to channel through a stockpile / stockpile over a channel?

Other than that, i think this would be a great way to get rid of excess stone, im routinely drowning in that stuff, especially clay...
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2012, 08:28:32 pm »

Designate a garbage dump on it, and dump a load of stone. It'll quantum stockpile though, so you'd need to erase the dumping location and make another until you were happy with the amount of stuff on each hatch or whatever. if that doesn't work you can always use the minecart autodump thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]