Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 989911 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #225 on: August 07, 2012, 11:38:31 pm »

Sorry, Frumple. Check the post.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 07, 2012, 11:44:43 pm »

Goddamnit, TLC. Just when I thought they couldn't get any worse...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 07, 2012, 11:47:48 pm »

Ah. That first one's... a bit of a WTF, I guess. Still won't look, but how exactly do they get from mr. Rogers to entitled kids? I vaguely remember the show as more of a friendship/caring/positive message of Jesus sort of thing than an "I Deserve SUV" thing.

As for the second, reality TV. Dim view of that stuff, yeah. Monetizing peoples suffering, which is what most of them do, more or less, is pretty sickening.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 07, 2012, 11:54:37 pm »

Quote from: Some guy in the comments
I miss Hitler

holy shit bro.
Hello Hunam

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 07, 2012, 11:57:29 pm »

Ah. That first one's... a bit of a WTF, I guess. Still won't look, but how exactly do they get from mr. Rogers to entitled kids? I vaguely remember the show as more of a friendship/caring/positive message of Jesus sort of thing than an "I Deserve SUV" thing.
It's because Mr. Rogers said that everyone was special and unique, instead of being mindless drones  ::)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:05:27 am by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 08, 2012, 07:05:28 am »

@Frumple: Apparently Mr Roger's line "everyone is special" caused all American children for every generation since then to expect to get "A"s on every test, and they flip-out when given a B or C. "I deserve an 'A' because I'm special, Mr Rogers said so" i guess.

But the cited evidence is college kids mystified at getting lower grades :-
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB118358476840657463.html
There's the source of FOX's claim, a professor observing the actions of freshmen college students.

There's a much simpler explanation for the same phenomena which doesn't require every kid was indoctrinated by the same TV show:

Those college kids "expect" to get A's because they were top of the class in high-school, say the top 20%. They coasted through because the material was paced so that the C students can keep up. College is filled to the brim with the 'A' students from every high school, and the work is harder, not everyone in the course can get an 'A', you now have to be in the top 20% of the previous 20% for that mark.

This leaves 80% of college kids getting worse marks than they feel they deserve.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:55:24 am by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 08, 2012, 08:13:28 am »

Well, except that a lot of "B" and "C" students get into college now too. Which means the material gets dumbed down, because it looks bad if you fail most of your students. That was going on even when I was in undergrad.

Welcome to the unintended consequences of decades of pushing the idea of "college for everybody". Well-intentioned, but a bad idea. Might work better if we had a more robust system of technical/vocational schools and reserved the traditional academic universities for the top students.

This is one reason why a Bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma, and a Master's Degree is the new Bachelor's.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 08, 2012, 12:29:07 pm »

I'm entering college in like two weeks and find this pretty disturbing.

Considering I coasted through high school without ever studying.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 08, 2012, 12:53:26 pm »

What will your major be?  If it's soft, you won't notice.  But if it is something like engineering, then be prepared for a kick in the pants.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 08, 2012, 12:54:25 pm »

What will your major be?  If it's soft, you won't notice.  But if it is something like engineering, then be prepared for a kick in the pants.
QFT.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 08, 2012, 12:58:49 pm »

Computer Science.

My junior year of HS I was in an engineering type class (one of those tech programs) but I quit, wasn't really what I wanted and I needed to put calculus in my schedule, and damn glad I did.

I wasn't a bad student, I was in the B-C range due to just not turning stuff in but still scored really well on tests, though I suppose that isn't a good metric for college.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 08, 2012, 02:48:27 pm »

You'll probably coast through most of the prereqs/University Studies stuff without even blinking; most of those courses require nothing more than missing fewer than 10 sessions and not being a complete moron to pass.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 08, 2012, 02:51:21 pm »

Depends pretty heavily on the teacher and the class... some of them, tests are pretty much the only thing that heavily effects your grade (Though, do note: If the teacher's worth a shit, your high school test taking strategies will not work.).

Others, homework-type stuff is a significant portion of the grade, and you're screwed if you don't stay on top of it.

Regardless, staying on top of it (again, caveatted by a decent teacher, who's actually assigning stuff on the basis it'll expand your understanding of the topic) is going to seriously impact your ability to pass the classes, to say nothing of actually learning the material (tremendously more important than actually getting a good grade, t'be honest).

Though, being fair, as Dice says, most of that doesn't apply to lower level, general education stuff. Just the stuff once you're actually in your degree and working with higher level material.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 08, 2012, 02:52:48 pm »

You'll probably coast through most of the prereqs/University Studies stuff without even blinking; most of those courses require nothing more than missing fewer than 10 sessions and not being a complete moron to pass.
I'm a complete moron and missed half a semester and still breezed through most of my exams. Well, more like half of them. Project management is hard.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 08, 2012, 03:20:59 pm »

The vast majority of freshman/prerequisite courses aren't going to be any harder, material-wise, than anything you had in high school. The BIG adjustment is learning to cope with the freedom.

Don't feel like going to class? You don't have to!
Feel like partying up till 4am the night before a big test? You can!
Missed your semester final because you were passed out after a night of drunken debauchery? Too fucking bad, you fail!

(I speak from experience on the above points...)  :-\

Even if you don't go off the deep end like I did, there's still the struggle of just balancing the amount of reading (which is typically a good bit heftier than in high school) and project work for all your classes. And trying to enjoy your newfound social life.

It gets steadily harder through the 4 years, but the material also gets more interesting so you're more eager to put in the extra work.
Then if you get to graduate school, it's like restarting the game on Hardcore mode. "Welcome to class, here's the syllabus, read these 300 pages by next class."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 510