Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1007279 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #2310 on: October 18, 2012, 11:37:50 am »

I think I literally just lost faith in everyone with an IQ below 110.
The fact that you ever had faith is the surprising part. As the late, great George Carlin pointed out: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that!"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: October 18, 2012, 01:33:53 pm »

Best thing about polar bears is that you can dye them any colour you wish~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: October 18, 2012, 01:42:12 pm »

I think average IQ is around 100, but I could be completely wrong.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: October 18, 2012, 02:06:02 pm »

100 should be the statistical average.

IQ is calculated as ("mental age" / "physical/real age" ) * 100. So if you're a 10-year old who performs at a 15-year level of cognition, you have (15/10) * 100 = 150 IQ.

The problem with the formula is twofold:
1. How exactly do you define mental age? And how on earth do you assess something like "a mental age of 90", given the deteriorated mental state of most 90-year olds?
2. Everyone's IQ inherently converges towards 100 with age, by nature of the formula.

5-year old with the brain of an 8-year old = 160 IQ. To maintain that 160 IQ, you have to assimilate knowledge at a rate of 1.6 "mental years" per calendar year. By the time you're 30, you have to have be mentally 18 years beyond your physical age.

I was assesed around at 155+ when I was in kindergarten. There's no way in hell I'm still a 155+. I don't think I've gotten stupider, it's just that it's much more difficult to be 36 and mentally 20 years beyond your age than it is to be 6 and 3.5 years beyond your age.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: October 18, 2012, 02:09:42 pm »

If that's the official formula then I went from gifted to demented in less than ten years.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: October 18, 2012, 02:43:20 pm »

If that's the official formula then I went from gifted to demented in less than ten years.

That's why IQ is only valuable for children. After that it becomes next to impossible to assess realistically using that same formula.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: October 18, 2012, 02:45:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BTW: A bit of trivia: most 90 years old are, in fact, not demented.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:48:38 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: October 18, 2012, 02:50:50 pm »

I realize people are getting smarter in general as Enducation gets better even in places with crappy education to begin with.

But then why do my peers seem so damn stupid?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: October 18, 2012, 02:58:14 pm »

"Smart" and "stupid" are relative. A smart person 1000 years ago would be considered incredibly uneducated by today's standards.

Also, you only really see your peers in certain situations. They might be "stupid" at say, math or whatever, but smart in other areas.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2321 on: October 18, 2012, 03:14:36 pm »

But then why do my peers seem so damn stupid?
Who do you notice more, those of equal intellectual level to you, or higher/lower?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: October 18, 2012, 04:30:39 pm »

100 should be the statistical average.

IQ is calculated as ("mental age" / "physical/real age" ) * 100. So if you're a 10-year old who performs at a 15-year level of cognition, you have (15/10) * 100 = 150 IQ.

Not that this is wrong per se, but they haven't done it like that since before almost all people on this board were born. They started doing away with that in WWII, and the new tests superceded the old by the 1960's. Even the older tests were modified to remove the quotient system.

Wechsler is best known for his intelligence tests. The Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS) was developed first in 1939 and then called the Wechsler-Bellevue Intelligence Test. From these he derived the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC) in 1949 and the Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence (WPPSI) in 1967. Wechsler originally created these tests to find out more about his patients at the Bellevue clinic and he found the then-current Binet IQ test unsatisfactory. The tests are still based on his philosophy that intelligence is "the global capacity to act purposefully, to think rationally, and to deal effectively with [one's] environment" (cited in Kaplan & Saccuzzo, p. 256).

The Wechsler scales introduced many novel concepts and breakthroughs to the intelligence testing movement. First, he did away with the quotient scores of older intelligence tests (the Q in "I.Q."). Instead, he assigned an arbitrary value of 100 to the mean intelligence and added or subtracted another 15 points for each standard deviation above or below the mean the subject was. While not rejecting the concept of global intelligence (as conceptualized by his teacher Charles Spearman), he divided the concept of intelligence into two main areas: verbal and performance (non-verbal) scales, each evaluated with different subtests.

The WAIS is today the most commonly administered psychological test (Kaplan & Sacuzzo, 2005). The tests are currently updated approximately every ten years to compensate for the Flynn effect.

Pretty much every IQ test since at least the 1960's has used Wechsler's method and not the quotient method.

What they do is test samples of every age group and both genders, assign an arbitrary mean of 100, a normalized bell curve with standard deviation of 15, and fit everyone's data into that curve no matter how they actually scored.

This has obvious advantages and disadvantages, in that you don't have to come up with some amazing test, since the data gets molded into shape afterwards, but you also don't gain any information from the "fixed" scores? Is IQ going up or down? Are women or men smarter? You can't say, because you forced your data to fit an identical curve due to ideological reasons.

IQ tests: the only "scientific" field where they force data to fit a specific curve for ideological reasons, then claim they can tell you things about reality because of the shape of the curve.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:38:25 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: October 18, 2012, 04:35:46 pm »

Also, IQ tests are subjective fare that don't do much for telling you who is most intelligent and will consistently rate minorities and members of cultures not aligned with the test creator's as being below average intelligence because of the bias in the test itself.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:37:36 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: October 18, 2012, 05:45:15 pm »

A common trait among stupid people is thinking they're much smarter than those around them.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 510