Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 992582 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #5370 on: June 27, 2013, 05:42:54 pm »

If you are asking why it's not a super popular fantasy like the idea of a benevolent god, I would assume that is because for most people the narrative "God loves you" seems to be, over time at least, stronger then the narrative "God hates you" or "God doesn't care about". So in the long run one is easier to believe. Or at least, that is the case in the modern world. Where we no longer need anything from god then assurance and self worth.
Indeed. Throughout history, the deistic beliefs of a civilization tend to follow the hardship they face. Places with hard environments to live in tend produce apathetic or malicious gods. Places that are easy for humans to live in (i.e. bountiful equatorial regions similar to those of the African grasslands that humans evolved for) tend to produce benevolent or benign gods.

Modern Christianity faces a serious cognitive dissonance from people brought up in the latter category being asked to believe in a god written by people in the former category.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: June 27, 2013, 07:37:20 pm »

Feminist: Because she's a woman, and she's on Tumblr.
Someone needs to sig this.

The label 'feminist' does not describe very much. I could mean people who are fighting for women to be equal to men (despite the fact that they basically already are), people who think that women are better than men, or people who think that women and men should be segregated.

It describes a specific intellectual and political movement.  There's a reason people can say things like "second wave feminism".  There is a history behind the thing, it isn't just a label people have arbitrarily given themselves as you seem to be implying.  It may be that for Tumblr crazies (I don't have a Tumblr account, so I wouldn't know) but they don't speak for feminists as a whole.  Personally I think this author's blog post explains it better than I can.

Look at all those labels. S: Cisgendered? Demiplatonic? Aromantic? Panwhut? >_>
The 'about' is 75% labels...

Also, the phrase 'check your privilege' says nothing and a lot o things at once. S: It apparently originated from a nice intellectual essay some years ago, but eh.

While I can't speak to the first two, Aromantic and Pansexual are legitimate and useful labels.

Aromantic is to romance what asexual is to sex.  Its generally considered a subcategory of asexual, but since aromantics can still want sex they obviously aren't going to describe themselves as asexual because that's a very good way not to get laid.

Pansexual is an orientation in the same sense that bisexual is, except that pansexuals are attracted to people of ambiguous gender.  So a bisexual would be attracted to men and women but not the androgenous or ambigious.  Whereas pansexuals could go for any of those categories.

Just because some people abuse a word doesn't mean that word has no meaning :D
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: June 27, 2013, 07:39:57 pm »

Cisgendered means that you identify as the gender you where born as.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5373 on: June 27, 2013, 08:01:56 pm »

Isn't that just gendered?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: June 27, 2013, 08:10:48 pm »

You would think so.
It's latin, meaning "on the same side as". I think that its just easier to use in a setting where female can also mean male to female transgendered. Things can get confusing.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5375 on: June 27, 2013, 08:30:29 pm »

Ok, devils advocate but if you use the formal meanings of "sex" and "gender" (which you probably are if you're using the word "cis") then gender is learned/constructed and you aren't born as a gender.  So there shouldn't be a need to add "gendered" on the end of the word.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: June 27, 2013, 08:37:27 pm »

It's latin, meaning "on the same side as".

Latin has a great deal of highly specific prefixes like that :P
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: June 27, 2013, 08:53:02 pm »

IN ORTHER NEWS
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: June 27, 2013, 08:55:05 pm »

Everyone* is "gendered." "Cisgendered" is used to distinguish from "transgendered."

Complain all you like about the root words not matching up to the colloquial meaning. That's not important. The term is necessary to avoid ambiguity. Remember "heterosexual" didn't really exist as a term until after "homosexual" did, and for exactly the same reasons.

*'cept I suppose those gender neutral people.

gender is learned/constructed and you aren't born as a gender.
I've never heard anyone claim this. Seems to me there would be a hell of a lot more trans folk if it were true, too.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: June 27, 2013, 09:04:43 pm »

Cisgendered is an unnecessary distinction and anybody who actually calls themselves that amongst a flurry of other obscure terms should probably be dismissed.
gender is learned/constructed and you aren't born as a gender.
I've never heard anyone claim this. Seems to me there would be a hell of a lot more trans folk if it were true, too.
It is true in a sense, but not in the same way as transgendered people would tend to think of it. Humans do not show the ability to differentiate genders until around 6 years of age, and thus do not pay attention to the concept at all before this point. Mentally, they see everyone as being the same gender as them, even if told otherwise. I myself remember how in Kindergarten I did not immediately think in terms of boys and girls, and neither did anyone else. By 1st Grade I was, and the boy/girl camps were mostly established.

Gender is indeed learned, but in the sense that conservation of mass is learned. It must be learned as part of your development and cannot be avoided or unlearned.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5380 on: June 27, 2013, 09:38:32 pm »

From a word definition standpoint, sex is the physical aspects, gender is the mental aspects.

I guess my issue here is that you can be transgender without being transexual so there's a purpose in specifying there.  But you can't be cisgendered without also being cissexual.  I think.  And if you're cissexual without being cisgendered, the term transgender already describes you.  So neither the term cisgendered or cissexual is necassary, cis means the same thing while being shorter and less needlessly specific.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5381 on: June 27, 2013, 09:54:10 pm »

People calling one another 'nigger' in an online game.  ._.  Not so amazing since its so frequent, but fairly stupid nonetheless.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5382 on: June 27, 2013, 10:40:41 pm »

Saying you don't want to argue, in the same post as you made a argument, is really weak.

I love a good debate, but if you read my post I specifically say I don't want to argue here, meaning in this thread. If there's something I don't want to discuss, I'm smart enough to not discuss it. If a topic does stray into a hot topic I want to comment on, I'll make my point and suggest someone start a new thread so we can continue the discussion without derailing the entire thread too much, like I did here. I'm sorry I didn't make that clearer.

The entire point of my original post was to point out that someone else's belief isn't inherently stupid just because you don't believe in it. I feel like calling out sincere beliefs and ridiculing them goes against the spirit of this thread. There's obviously a grey area with truly off-the-wall beliefs and that's fine, but I don't feel like believing in God is one of those grey areas.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: June 27, 2013, 10:58:45 pm »

Cisgendered is an unnecessary distinction and anybody who actually calls themselves that amongst a flurry of other obscure terms should probably be dismissed.
Your assertion here is unsupported.

Why is a term for the opposite of transgendered unnecessary?

So neither the term cisgendered or cissexual is necassary, cis means the same thing while being shorter and less needlessly specific.
Well okay. If ya just want a different term to be used, I won't argue. Just "cis" would be fine by me.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: June 27, 2013, 11:05:39 pm »

Your assertion here is unsupported.

Why is a term for the opposite of transgendered unnecessary?
There's no operative need for it. You might have to explain that you are transgendered, you definitely do not have to explain that you are cisgendered. This differs from heterosexual and homosexual in that these terms inform whom you are willing to have sex with, which can be important information. A word for "not transgendered" is quite simply not going to come up with any kind of frequency.

Going out of the way to call one's self cisgendered, in my experience, is from people who are intent upon being as Special Snowflake as possible (as seen in the earlier example). Even though the vast, vast majority of people are not transgendered, these individuals feed their ego by setting up terminology for it.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 510