Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 992389 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #5415 on: June 28, 2013, 10:01:13 am »

It has a wiki page!

10 grand to anyone who disproves him? I might try... if I understood what the hell he's going on about.

"Dr Gene Ray is the
Greatest Philosopher,
and is the Greatest
Mathematician."

"The Greatest Philosopher and Mathematician has to tell everyone he is great."

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: June 28, 2013, 10:32:43 am »

Time Cube is actually pretty neat. I would totally do an analysis or disproof or something on it for a rhetoric class if I could. The biggest challenge for it is to translate it from garbled gobbledegook into English. Once you do that it makes sense, to some degree. He's applying the Pi = 4 fallacy to time, to some extent.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: June 28, 2013, 10:39:46 am »

Cisgendered means that you identify as the gender you where born as.
Isn't that just gendered?
Everyone* is "gendered." "Cisgendered" is used to distinguish from "transgendered."
That'd probably explain why I prefer 'gendered.' I'd much rather people stop dividing themselves from one another, unity is strength after all. Because everyone is indeed gendered.
The exact same line of thought could justify removing terms for sexuality (homosexual, heterosexual, etc), and just call everyone "sexual." Nice in theory, but this would make things quite awkward if you're being hit on by someone of a gender you're not interested in. Saying "I'm gay/straight" is much easier than "I'm not attracted to your sexual morphology." Terms have a point and purpose.

The heart of the problem here is people are different. We can be unified, but that doesn't mean we have to be all the same or to ignore each other's differences to do so. Our identities make us who we are, and identifying and cataloging all our nuances won't somehow pit us against each other. Individuality and collectivism can both exist simultaneously. We should celebrate difference and variety instead.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: June 28, 2013, 10:57:36 am »

You know, this could probably be it's own thread
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 11:02:52 am by GlyphGryph »

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: June 28, 2013, 11:07:56 am »

Time Cube is actually pretty neat. I would totally do an analysis or disproof or something on it for a rhetoric class if I could. The biggest challenge for it is to translate it from garbled gobbledegook into English. Once you do that it makes sense, to some degree. He's applying the Pi = 4 fallacy to time, to some extent.
Lessee, name calling, insults, posturing, rambling, holy fuck this is so awful It's amazing. I can't stop reading.
Mother and father gave me birth, not a queer jew god.
He blames soldiers dying overseas on their parents ignoring him.

He claims 4 days in 24 hours. He gets them by placing 4 reference points and 4 reference times.
A=00:00
B=06:00(sun-up)
C=12:00
D=18:00(sundown)
Next day is when
A=06:00(sun-up)
B=12:00
C=18:00(sundown)
D=00:00
And so forth. yeah. I don't see the pi=4 fallacy. I see plenty of misunderstanding geometry though.

There's also a good deal of racism flying around.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: June 28, 2013, 11:08:48 am »

The heart of the issue is that people like labels, and like being able to label people, because people want other people to fit into neat little categories, while also wanting their specific category to be seen as the default. They want to be normal, and they want anyone who DIFFERS be those who have to be explicitly labeled. This isn't to say they don't want a label - "normal" is a label - they simply want to decide what that label means.

I think there's a purpose to a word like cisgendered, because it's a useful qualifier in the kind of conversations it normally comes up in, and defining things by what they are not ("not transgender") is often inaccurate and fails to accurately describe what is being discusssed. That's fine!

Of course, the term has since been thoroughly abused, and instead of being a positive declaration of attributes (not in the sense of positive morally, but rather being a label defined by qualities a thing possesses rather than those it lacks) it's become a simple synonym for untrans - like many elements of language in the social movement, it's devolved into filling the same tribal purpose those who use it purport to advocate against - it's become nothing more than a negation (often a slur and ad hominem), and lost, in general use, many of the aspects that made it especially useful as a term.

Of course, the original need is still there, so it's going to continue existing even if everyone stops being idiots, but because everyone, everywhere, is too caught up in their own goddamn ego and need to feel important by excluding and trivializing the opinion of others while trumpeting how it's important that exceptions be carved out for them, in particular, because every improper use of language that doesn't serve their personal goals and soothe their ego is obviously an attack on their identity... blah.

Saying "I'm gay/straight" is much easier than "I'm not attracted to your sexual morphology." Terms have a point and purpose.

And herein lies the problem. Terms have a point and a purpose, but "accuracy", "clarity", and "acceptance" are very rarely a consideration. "Convenience", "identification", and "exclusion" are far more common.

"cisgendered" (and "transgendered" for that matter) can certainly be used for the first three, just as "gay/straight" can be... but if one thinks that's how any of these terms usually get used, I have a strong suspicion you may be mistaken.
This.  So much this.

The big reason I rally against labels so much is because each one has so much extra baggage attached to it. 

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: June 28, 2013, 11:14:11 am »

this is why I tend to call myself cystgendered.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: June 28, 2013, 12:45:40 pm »

this is why I tend to call myself cystgendered.
They have antibiotics for that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: June 28, 2013, 12:51:09 pm »

Guys, move this discussion to the dedicated thread that GlyphGryph made.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: June 28, 2013, 12:54:20 pm »

The only way to deny a theory that denies all of reality is to find internal inconsistencies. I think he was smart enough to avoid those.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: June 28, 2013, 04:26:40 pm »

It has a wiki page!
10 grand to anyone who disproves him? I might try... if I understood what the hell he's going on about.
That is the reason it has never been done. Nobody really has a solid idea of what he's saying and the meaning behind a lot of the word structure. So it's difficult to disprove it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: June 28, 2013, 04:28:23 pm »

It has a wiki page!
That is the reason it has never been done. Nobody really has a solid idea of what he's saying and the meaning behind a lot of the word structure. So it's difficult to disprove it.
I think it's more likely that anyone that out of it is never going to accept that they're wrong.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: June 28, 2013, 04:30:11 pm »

Or that anyone who makes an actual effort to understand it will go mad.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: June 28, 2013, 04:43:53 pm »

So we need Xantalos, then? Unless he can be affected by it too...
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: June 28, 2013, 05:51:47 pm »

So we need Xantalos, then? Unless he can be affected by it too...
Wait, Timecube?
I'll wait for you guys to figure it out. It's hilarious when you get it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 510