Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 990531 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #5865 on: August 13, 2013, 11:24:18 pm »

I find it quite fascinating that someone would know so much about the history of weird internet movements. You should write the Secret Chronicles of the Internet or something, sociologists of the future might be really grateful.
I would totally read that... LOUD WHISPERS! GO TO THE CREATIVE PROJECTS BOARD AND MAKE THIS A REALITY!
He he he, maybe. It'd take a lot of time, and truth be told I don't know much about the internet other than the big things. This'd count as a major event in the internet timeline in my opinion. Finding out the secrets would be a project in its own right :P

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: August 13, 2013, 11:26:10 pm »

All the more reason to do so. It would be truly epic.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: August 13, 2013, 11:42:27 pm »

I find it quite fascinating that someone would know so much about the history of weird internet movements. You should write the Secret Chronicles of the Internet or something, sociologists of the future might be really grateful.
I would totally read that... LOUD WHISPERS! GO TO THE CREATIVE PROJECTS BOARD AND MAKE THIS A REALITY!
He he he, maybe. It'd take a lot of time, and truth be told I don't know much about the internet other than the big things. This'd count as a major event in the internet timeline in my opinion. Finding out the secrets would be a project in its own right :P
Hey, for someone who is not all that familiar with all the involved boards this already counts as secret. Also dramatic titles make for a better sales pitch.
And apart from the entertainment value, it really is difficult to piece together information about the origins of social and cultural movements only a decade or two after the fact. Most accounts I know about smaller music cultures or niche youth movements end up conflicting or flat out wrong when there starts to be academic interest.
There is already a lot of interest in weird internet cultures, so it's pretty much guaranteed that someday someone is going to write a paper about that social justice shit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: August 14, 2013, 01:10:58 am »

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this was meant seriously.

Social autist (/v/)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: August 14, 2013, 01:12:16 am »

"My milkshake's just leaking."
Some teenage guuuuurlz were spitting milkshake onto the alpine slide thing in Vermont, so I told them to stop.
My aunt gave me a lot of shit about it.
Black lives matter.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5870 on: August 14, 2013, 03:17:43 am »

However, the number of goons who believed the propaganda soon outnumbered the trolls and so /SRS/ grew to become a formidable trolling force on reddit.

This strikes me as a thing that happens outside the internet.  Imagine if Glen Beck is just in it for the money, or trolling everyone...

While I know very little about the Tumblr Social Justice crowd (this board is the first place I've heard is significantly discussed) I have heard that they like to abuse the term "privilege", and have this picture showing how that can be hilarious:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Its basically a scoreboard for how disadvantaged you have.  Except that if you analyze it even a little, you'll realize that the numbers make no sense.  Blind is three times worse than paralyzed, being Muslim makes you less privileged even if you live in the Middle East, being very short apparently puts you at a net disadvantage even if you're rich, ect.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this was meant seriously.
Why is there no "east asia that's not China or Japan but not Thailand etc either" category I demand privilege points D:<

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: August 14, 2013, 03:19:17 am »

That's "Other".  The closest you have is... oh my. -1000.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5872 on: August 14, 2013, 05:22:12 am »

The first few white feminists are retaliating with soul-blogs:

There is a Spirit Rule in Albion (this is where my ancestors square up to your ancestors) that when we point a finger of blame at others, three fingers point back at us. This is a useful tool to have in our awareness because it makes us careful about that we accuse others of being. There is ALWAYS a truth in a psychological projection – otherwise it doesn’t work. To break a projection, however, needs a human being – I’m volunteering in this instance because I won’t stand by and let you make the mistakes we made if talking back to you will stop it. The human race can’t afford such acting out anymore and this kind of unconscious mob-think needs to stop.
Ironically a lot of what she says makes sense, if only she could also realize it applies to more than just women. Well admittedly, the ancestors of Albion part doesn't make sense, but the rest mostly does.

"My Sisters, the face you were showing to white women with your hashtag is a very powerful one for waking people up. Applied in more imaginative and thoughtful ways, but with full awareness of your responsibilities to our future, the powers you wield could benefit humanity enormously but to do this competently requires that you learn from your mistakes."

[Hashtagging of power intensifies]

Quote from: The Response
"You should check your white privileges.
The feminist movement should be about promoting real wymens issues but oppressive white ‘women’ are the only ones with a voice. A white ‘feminist’ gets hundreds of thousands of dollars to talk about how she doesn’t like video games while WoC are the most oppressed in society. White feminists only use us to gain publicity for their own cause. Whites have always used and oppressed us and still do."

Welcome to the Twilight zone?

The plot thickens.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: August 14, 2013, 05:27:06 am »

What is it about "Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say" that gives any random post a 66% chance of being about social justice warriors?

By the way, I scored 120 on the Chart.

KNEEL BEFORE ME!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: August 14, 2013, 05:30:20 am »

I find it hard to believe that a blind billionaire is worse off than someone who has a severe mental disorder.
What the fuck SJW.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: August 14, 2013, 05:48:45 am »

Are you kidding? The poor rich kid can't even ogle at all the underprivileged women!

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: August 14, 2013, 09:10:08 am »

It's an incredibly interesting phenomenon. Also it's likely Tumblr gained its SJW crowd simply by drawing from the same demographic as reddit [see; no neckbeards].
Fascinating.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: August 14, 2013, 09:23:37 am »

"My Sisters, the face you were showing to white women with your hashtag is a very powerful one for waking people up. Applied in more imaginative and thoughtful ways, but with full awareness of your responsibilities to our future, the powers you wield could benefit humanity enormously but to do this competently requires that you learn from your mistakes."

[Hashtagging of power intensifies]
Three hashtags for the Reddit kings under the sky
Seven for the Tumblrs in their halls of text
Nine for mortal Twitters doomed to die
One for the Dark Lord on his Dark Throne
In the land of 4chan, where the shadows lie
One hashtag to rule them all, one hashtag to find them
One hashtag to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them
In the land of 4chan, where the shadows lie.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:25:55 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: August 14, 2013, 09:34:43 am »

C-can I sig this?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: August 14, 2013, 09:40:02 am »

C-can I sig this?
Sure :3

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 510