Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 992288 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6060 on: August 27, 2013, 04:35:56 pm »

Diamonds burn at temperatures of I-can't-be-bothered-to-look-it-up but under enough pressure and heat they have been liquified. Also, artificial diamonds can be created by compressing carbon sufficiently.

Around 5000 degrees celcius. Enough to survive mantle temperatures.

The human body has 77000 calories, enough to heat a cup of water to 77000 degrees kelvin above room temperature.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: August 27, 2013, 04:59:57 pm »

Doing some maths which seem more-or less right (and assuming Neonivek's 77000 calorie energy in a human body. I looked elsewhere for the melting point of diamond though. It was more like 3500 degrees), the energy in a human body could bring a diamond of 179 grams to melting from room temperature.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: August 27, 2013, 06:59:05 pm »

So today, my friends and I were talking about overrated youtubers, and I said that I didn't like Pewdiepie because he makes rape jokes all the time, so one of my friends tried to convince me that if comedians stopped making rape jokes, the economy would collapse somehow.
Uh. I think we need a hall of fame, just because of this. Are you sure he wasn't pulling your leg?
He wasn't talking in a sarcastic tone of voice, and I asked him if he was joking, and he said no.

Murder is the only solution.

Contribution:

"White Republican Men were the leaders of the suffragette movement!"
- White republican man on facebook

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: August 27, 2013, 07:20:08 pm »

So today, my friends and I were talking about overrated youtubers, and I said that I didn't like Pewdiepie because he makes rape jokes all the time, so one of my friends tried to convince me that if comedians stopped making rape jokes, the economy would collapse somehow.
Uh. I think we need a hall of fame, just because of this. Are you sure he wasn't pulling your leg?
He wasn't talking in a sarcastic tone of voice, and I asked him if he was joking, and he said no.

Contribution:

I am confused. I thought suffragettes are those sticks people throw in the air and then catch again?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: August 27, 2013, 08:07:04 pm »

Contribution:

I am confused. I thought suffragettes are those sticks people throw in the air and then catch again?

Wiki-man to the rescue!

I prefer Bowie, though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6065 on: August 27, 2013, 09:29:59 pm »

I just searched and found that our body doesn't provide the pressure nor temperature to melt diamonds

Untrue. If you were to somehow harness all the Calories in the human body it is more then enough to melt a diamond.
But you can't. By 'our body' I mean our stomachs specifically. To be dissolved by acid we need 400°C and many atm of pressure.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: August 27, 2013, 09:32:46 pm »

I just searched and found that our body doesn't provide the pressure nor temperature to melt diamonds

Untrue. If you were to somehow harness all the Calories in the human body it is more then enough to melt a diamond.
But you can't. By 'our body' I mean our stomachs specifically. To be dissolved by acid we need 400°C and many atm of pressure.
Well, given enough bodies and a liberal application of magma...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: August 27, 2013, 09:40:12 pm »

Don't need magma, just bodies. Few trillion of them in outer space, or at least enough to form a gravity well, and you've got plenty of pressure and heat at the center of the floating ball of meat.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: August 27, 2013, 09:46:31 pm »

Don't need magma, just bodies. Few trillion of them in outer space, or at least enough to form a gravity well, and you've got plenty of pressure and heat at the center of the floating ball of meat.
At that pressure, wouldn't they just heat up and melt into meat-magma anyway?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: August 28, 2013, 01:52:48 am »

Related.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: August 28, 2013, 05:04:08 pm »

Related.

If you hadn't posted that, I would have.

MOLEWORLD.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: August 29, 2013, 10:34:57 am »

(When asked why Homestuck is shit)
Altough the real reason is because it supports, condone encourages trolling. For something as famous as it once was, that is terrible.
Wut? It doesn't really matter wether you like homestuck or not, that is stupid.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: August 29, 2013, 11:10:23 am »

For something as famous as it once was

...Are we talking about the same Homestuck?  :P
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: August 29, 2013, 12:30:02 pm »

Encourages trolling? Because it has characters called "trolls" who trolled the main characters for all of 6 in-story hours before getting over it and growing the fuck up?

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: August 29, 2013, 12:45:53 pm »

"If we cannot put [solar plants] it in the Mojave desert, I don't know where the hell we can put it."
- Governor Terminator

Silly Schwartz, how could the local desert wildlife possibly survive with some mirrors sticking out of the ground, and an underground power line!
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 510