Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 992437 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6735 on: October 14, 2013, 11:42:09 am »

I think he means it's easier to estimate at a glance.

I easily tell you my shoe is about a foot by glance, but if one told me to estimate it in centimeters, I'd be lost without a ruler.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: October 14, 2013, 11:43:35 am »

#1 was when we were studying dimensional analysis. I argued that the English system is better than metric for everyday use, because it is based on body parts. She responded with the standard arguments. Later that day, she denied the superiority of the binary system, even though I was defending it using the exact same arguments she had earlier.
In her defence, that's not even the slightest bit stupid - measurements being based on body parts is irrelevant, because body parts vary in size, so the only advantage to the english system is that people in certain areas already use it, which hardly offsets the tremendous gains of having a unified wroldwide system. Binary numbers, however, are inferoir to base ten (or base 8, 11, or any other number in that region) because their information density is too low - while a computer can only have ON and OFF, a person can write '4' with the same amount of effort as a '1'.

FAKEEDIT: You get used to that sort of thing. Also, your foot most probably is much longer than one ft.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: October 14, 2013, 11:44:37 am »

I easily tell you my shoe is about a foot by glance, but if one told me to estimate it in centimeters, I'd be lost without a ruler.
That's probably because you don't use metric much.
If you were to show me a thing I would have no idea its approximate length in imperial units, while I could give it to the nearest 5 cm.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: October 14, 2013, 01:21:12 pm »

That's probably because you don't use metric much.
If you were to show me a thing I would have no idea its approximate length in imperial units, while I could give it to the nearest 5 cm.

Eeeeeh

Yeah, guess that does make sense. I retract my previous statement.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: October 14, 2013, 01:38:53 pm »

#1 was when we were studying dimensional analysis. I argued that the English system is better than metric for everyday use, because it is based on body parts. She responded with the standard arguments. Later that day, she denied the superiority of the binary system, even though I was defending it using the exact same arguments she had earlier.
In her defence, that's not even the slightest bit stupid - measurements being based on body parts is irrelevant, because body parts vary in size, so the only advantage to the english system is that people in certain areas already use it, which hardly offsets the tremendous gains of having a unified wroldwide system. Binary numbers, however, are inferoir to base ten (or base 8, 11, or any other number in that region) because their information density is too low - while a computer can only have ON and OFF, a person can write '4' with the same amount of effort as a '1'.

FAKEEDIT: You get used to that sort of thing. Also, your foot most probably is much longer than one ft.
My point was that she ignored the exact same arguments she used to try and convince me. Personally, speaking as someone who trained himself to do math in binary, it's not that difficult and the information density is not much of an issue. I read an article by Fred Pohl which suggested the idea. Pohl went so far as to suggest a whole new system of numbers.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: October 14, 2013, 01:45:23 pm »

Problem is, that
a) Binary doesn't converse well with any currently existant unit system. (SI has been designed around powers of ten)
b) Human short term memory is pretty limited to about 7 different items.
c) What's the point. No real benefit, as opposed to standardization inherent in SI, which prevented a lot of stupid accidents.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: October 14, 2013, 02:13:16 pm »

My foot is only 11 inches, but then I have small feet.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: October 14, 2013, 02:14:44 pm »

My foot is only 11 inches, but then I have small feet.
I am just going to assume 11 inches equals 1 foot and 1 inch.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: October 14, 2013, 02:16:51 pm »

There's 12 inches in a foot, so his foot is still simply 11 inches.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: October 14, 2013, 02:58:06 pm »

Heh, you're assuming the english system makes sense.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: October 14, 2013, 03:05:34 pm »

Heh, you're assuming the english system makes sense.

This. 

And no, a full foot long foot is actually really big. Most people's feet are actually closer to 7-10 inches long. My feet, and I have BIG feet, are only 10 inches long. Mind you, I'm 6'1", or like 180 centimeters or something. I'm not a small person.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: October 14, 2013, 03:07:57 pm »

the english system
Is this a thing that people call Imperial Units?
Because we don't really use those any more apart from in cars. It's only really the US that clings onto using Imperial Units as the general system of measurement. Everyone else has converted over to loving the multiples of ten.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: October 14, 2013, 03:13:20 pm »

The English do not make much sense - the language , the measurements, the fact we managed to conquer half the world despite being a tiny island, the fact the American media thinks we all speak with received pronunciation or cockney accents, the fascination with the American elections... and that's just the tip of the iceberg. And I wouldn't want it any other way. And yes, despite using the good old Imperial system often, base ten is so much easier!
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: October 14, 2013, 03:33:57 pm »

The English do not make much sense - the language , the measurements, the fact we managed to conquer half the world despite being a tiny island, the fact the American media thinks we all speak with received pronunciation or cockney accents, the fascination with the American elections... and that's just the tip of the iceberg. And I wouldn't want it any other way. And yes, despite using the good old Imperial system often, base ten is so much easier!
Don't forget our propensity to conquer countries by having a flag.

Explorer appears.
 'You can't claim this land, 6 million people live here.'
 'Yes, but do you have a flag?'
 'Ummm..... no?'
 'So there.'
 Explorer plants flag. Later uses entire country as prison / tea plantation.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: October 14, 2013, 03:38:05 pm »

You know how it is. You either have tea with the vicar, or YOU DIE!

(I'd rather take death over cake, but chicken's fine too)
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 510