Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 992483 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6795 on: October 15, 2013, 03:00:09 pm »

The Canadians are one of the few countries who can say they not only defeated the USA in a way, but marched to their capital and burned it down.

Well they burned down our capital first. It's only fair after all.
Retaliation and all.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: October 15, 2013, 03:17:31 pm »

I heard some more "Why are the hot girls always lesbians BOO FRICKITY HOO" crap today. All I can say is it's annoying, especially when the girl they're talking about isn't actually lesbian, just rumored to be.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: October 15, 2013, 03:19:20 pm »

That probably partially works around the other way too. Something you can't get seems all that much more alluring.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: October 15, 2013, 03:21:17 pm »

I've definitely heard women lamenting that the guys they were attracted to were gay.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: October 15, 2013, 03:25:10 pm »

Mostly it's because people will look for any reason for a rejection other than themselves not being the other person's type. Same reason the "friendzone" term exists despite not being an actual thing.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6800 on: October 15, 2013, 03:47:51 pm »

Well if you assert that anything that exists as a concept exists as a thing, then everything ever "exists."
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: October 15, 2013, 03:49:31 pm »

I particularly like dragons existing. I made good money selling dragons in high school, and it's good to known the detractors were completely wrong about them not existing the whole time.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6802 on: October 15, 2013, 03:49:41 pm »

On the other hand, having a gender your target is not interested in -is- a bit of a stumbling block, and not one that you can fix.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6803 on: October 15, 2013, 04:05:45 pm »

Naturally, the only winning move is not to play.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: October 15, 2013, 04:23:53 pm »

It probably would have, but in another shape or form. The Versaille treaty pretty much ensured a war in Germany, but even without that the situation was dangerous in many countries.
Foch said that the Versailles treaty was a 20 year armistice, which is oddly accurate. And while the Versailles treaty certainly played a role, it's not said that it wouldn't have happened anyway. There has been a extremist right wing movement even in countries that were the winner of the WWI (France, UK, Italy), though they did not necessarily get to power.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: October 15, 2013, 05:33:20 pm »

Mostly it's because people will look for any reason for a rejection other than themselves not being the other person's type. Same reason the "friendzone" term exists despite not being an actual thing.
"Friendzone" is a thing. It only exists in TV/books/comics, but it exists.
I thought it just meant "one-sided romantic attraction with two-sided platonic attraction" - and that definitely exists, I can attest to that...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: October 15, 2013, 05:50:54 pm »

I thought it just meant "one-sided romantic attraction with two-sided platonic attraction" - and that definitely exists, I can attest to that...
No. It usually seems to mean befriending someone and expecting sex in return.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: October 15, 2013, 06:00:15 pm »

From what I've heard I thought it was basically synonymous with "humans are not good at subtle".
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6808 on: October 15, 2013, 06:54:23 pm »

Yeah, pretty much.

What the friendzone implies is that the only reason you're not in a romantic relationship is because of the friendship you share when the actual reason is more likely... s/he doesn't want a romantic relationship with you. People can't deal with the idea that they're not a goddamn perfect lover who interests everyone, like the kind of guy who hears a lady is a lesbian and says something like "well you ever got some dick in you" as if... actually, I can't come up with any logical reason why someone would say that, so I'm not going to bother

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: October 15, 2013, 07:14:29 pm »

Yeah, as others have said, "friendzone" is supposed to mean that friendship precludes romantic attraction (or at least gets in the way of it). In reality, people just look for any excuse other than the other person not being romantically attracted, and assuming friendship got in the way seems to be a common fallacious excuse.

One sided romantic attraction with two sided platonic attraction does exist, but "friendzoning" states that the platonic attraction is what made the romantic attraction impossible. It's especially dumb when you look at it like this, since the person romantically attracted wasn't deterred because the other person was a friend.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:16:21 pm by kaijyuu »
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 510