Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 990070 times)

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #240 on: August 08, 2012, 03:30:35 pm »

Woah, woah, woah.  Social life?  When did we get those in college?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 08, 2012, 03:33:49 pm »

I got one!

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #242 on: August 08, 2012, 03:46:14 pm »

Mr. Rogers was just as nice when off-camera.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 08, 2012, 03:51:24 pm »

Mr. Rogers was just as nice when off-camera.
Huh? *twitch*
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:56:51 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 08, 2012, 03:54:21 pm »

Well, I lived in a cool dorm. We were composed almost entirely of freaks, misfits and nonconformists. Most of whom had at least a 140 IQ. It was like one big happy mentally unstable bisexual pagan family.  :P

We had our own theater troupe, that put on plays just for our own amusement. And a regular basement poker night where people came fully dressed as a '30s speakeasy. We even had some Nerf shootouts when somebody tried to slip an extra ace into the deck. Good times, good times.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2012, 04:31:04 pm »

Cocaine's a hell of a drug

Jeez man, that's one crazy dorm.
Hello Hunam

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 08, 2012, 04:31:23 pm »

Not sure if it qualifies for this (since it's more just a silly slip of the tongue), but "250 megabytes of caffeine" in a glass of pop.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 08, 2012, 04:33:46 pm »

Wat. They have soda computers now.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 08, 2012, 04:36:17 pm »

Somebody should try to make a harddrive using as raw caffeine as a building material for as much of it as possible.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #249 on: August 08, 2012, 04:43:05 pm »

I personally had an awesome social life. I worked usually around 30 hours a week, got special permission for "excessive hours" almost every semester (which averaged around 20), and yet partied every weekend. And yes, I did indeed pay for my own schooling; scholarships really helped, though.

I'm entering college in like two weeks and find this pretty disturbing.

Considering I coasted through high school without ever studying.

I put very little effort into University and never studied in HS, although I still got 'A's. When I went to Uni, I got a 4.3 GPA a few semesters because of the way Honors was weighted, which is farcical. The only reason I can see people failing out of school besides being monumentally lazy--I'm thinking of the WoW stereotype--is due to financial hardship. So, for those of you youngsters headed off for higher education, I have but two warnings: 1.) Beware the financial snares of one of the largest and most vile industries in the world (Secondary Education) and 2.) I'm watching you ;D . But seriously, if you can manage learning DF, you can get a four point in college. Don't sell yourselves short. It's expensive as hell, so make the money you're throwing at institutionalized highway robbers worth it.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 08, 2012, 05:03:34 pm »

There's nothing hard about college. At least in my experience. But it does wear on you.

Here's three simple steps:

1. Listen. Really... Listen, read, pay attention to the material in whatever form it comes to you.
2. Find out what you educator expects from you. Sometimes harder than others, but in almost every case you'll have it by the time the first test is or paper is over. Only time this becomes a problem is when you only have 2 tests or papers the entire semester.
3. Give the educator what they're looking for. Sometimes they expect a lot. Sometimes they expect little. Sometimes they want you to meet their expectations, TO THE LETTER. Sometimes they're more open about what they want, but in every case, there is something they expect, something they're looking out for, so do your best to give it to them.

Once you understand that, and know how to make it work, there is nothing about college that is hard. At that point it simply becomes tedious. I burnt out in high school. Not because it was hard, but because it was tedious. My last year I didn't care and I didn't try, and I barely pulled C average grades. College started, and I was good for the first two years. My first year I failed a few major assignments and only managed middling grades, but that was just as I was figuring out the system. My second year I did great, only missing a bit because I had to take some math and never had a head for it. My third and fourth years, however, I just went through the motions. I was tired, but I was over half way there. By that point, however, I'd figured out how to deal with the system. Even with only half-hearted effort I still did pretty well.

In conclusion: College is not hard. You just have to keep at it, give them what they want, and not get distracted.

In restrospect: Might not have been the best thread for it, but hell, I'm not throwing this away now.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 08, 2012, 05:08:41 pm »

Damnit i just finished signing up for classes >__>
Way to go on ruining my hopes and dreams as a network engineer

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #252 on: August 08, 2012, 05:10:47 pm »

2. Find out what you educator expects from you. Sometimes harder than others, but in almost every case you'll have it by the time the first test is or paper is over. Only time this becomes a problem is when you only have 2 tests or papers the entire semester.
3. Give the educator what they're looking for. Sometimes they expect a lot. Sometimes they expect little. Sometimes they want you to meet their expectations, TO THE LETTER. Sometimes they're more open about what they want, but in every case, there is something they expect, something they're looking out for, so do your best to give it to them.
In conclusion: College is not hard. You just have to keep at it, give them what they want, and not get distracted.

^This. Some love regurgitation, especially if they teach their own books. Some don't. You'll figure it out pretty quickly just based on how a Prof/TA conducts themselves. Humor tends to be a good sign. As far as distractions? They will keep you sane, especially if you can still get things done on time.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 08, 2012, 05:16:25 pm »

This thread has been derailed too many times to count

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2012, 05:17:48 pm »

Oh, yeah. Find something to keep you sane. The distracted was more in regards to when you're being given instructions. Pay attention. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but the worst thing I ever found to do, was trying to do one class's homework in another class.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 510