Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002118 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #2655 on: November 01, 2012, 02:37:22 pm »

Someone at school stated that he wanted to go back in time and kill Isaac Newton so that calculus and modern physics would disappear, and he wouldn't have to learn them.

A teacher pointed out that other people were doing the exact same things at roughly the same time... so the kid said he would go back and kill them, too.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: November 01, 2012, 02:41:04 pm »

And that is a good example of why you can't use murder to solve your problems. Especially math problems.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: November 01, 2012, 02:42:17 pm »

Someone at school stated that he wanted to go back in time and kill Isaac Newton so that calculus and modern physics would disappear, and he wouldn't have to learn them.

A teacher pointed out that other people were doing the exact same things at roughly the same time... so the kid said he would go back and kill them, too.

But....you'd need calculus and physics to invent a time machine.

Tell him if he killed Newton, he'd be stuck in the past forever. WITHOUT INTERNET.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: November 01, 2012, 02:43:50 pm »

I'm now imagining a world where various sciences are kept from advancing past a certain point by time-travelling assassins.

I really like this setting.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: November 01, 2012, 02:46:28 pm »

I'm now imagining a world where various sciences are kept from advancing past a certain point by time-travelling assassins.

National Novel Writing Month is going on right now, you know :D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2660 on: November 01, 2012, 02:47:37 pm »

One problem.

You cannot defeat Isaac Newton without first mastering basic maths and physics.

By the time you can defeat him, travel back in time and kill him - thus trapping you in that era,

You become him.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: November 01, 2012, 02:49:02 pm »

National Novel Writing Month is going on right now, you know :D

I think this would make a better roleplaying setting than a book.

One problem.

By the time you can defeat him, travel back in time and kill him - thus trapping you in that era,

You become him.

This, on the other hand, would make a fantastic movie.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: November 01, 2012, 03:15:00 pm »

"God is all-powerful, you can't deny that with all the evidence in the Bible!" - Random christian dude

"If god is all-powerful, can God create a stone he can't lift?" -Me.

That guy was speechless after that.

A coworker of dubious intelligence I know, once said, "Read your bible, it always has something to help you out!"
Hm. A quick check into the bible on the subject of baking and rape-law yielded horrifying, yet hilarious results. She was not amused. And then I told her I was a muslim, and she flipped out. Good times.

To be fair, that statement can help you. Unfortunately, it only helps you if you studied philosophics, or bible studies or something. There's a lot of layers of meaning in the bible.

Most of which can be summarized as :

Be a nice guy, be forgiving, and enjoy yourself.

The Bible is very wise as long as you tear out and burn everything that isn't either the Book of Ecclesiastes or the portions of the Gospels included in Jefferson's The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: November 01, 2012, 03:24:19 pm »

"God is all-powerful, you can't deny that with all the evidence in the Bible!" - Random christian dude

"If god is all-powerful, can God create a stone he can't lift?" -Me.

That guy was speechless after that.

A coworker of dubious intelligence I know, once said, "Read your bible, it always has something to help you out!"
Hm. A quick check into the bible on the subject of baking and rape-law yielded horrifying, yet hilarious results. She was not amused. And then I told her I was a muslim, and she flipped out. Good times.

To be fair, that statement can help you. Unfortunately, it only helps you if you studied philosophics, or bible studies or something. There's a lot of layers of meaning in the bible.

Most of which can be summarized as :

Be a nice guy, be forgiving, and enjoy yourself.

The Bible is very wise as long as you tear out and burn everything that isn't either the Book of Ecclesiastes or the portions of the Gospels included in Jefferson's The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth.

I'm pretty sure a professionall Bible analyst might not share that opinion. It's just that some parts might easily be misinterpreted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2664 on: November 01, 2012, 03:47:33 pm »

And don't even get started on the grammatical translations.

Alnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: November 01, 2012, 08:44:14 pm »

Let's get back to posting silly stuff, ok?

"Albert Einstein, you know, the guy who created Frankenstein!" - My little brother

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: November 01, 2012, 08:49:33 pm »

I would love if Albert had a brother named Frank...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: November 02, 2012, 03:16:31 am »

I would love if Albert had a brother named Frank...
I see what you did there.

Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: November 02, 2012, 05:52:04 am »

The problem is what is the "right" interpretation. Ever since I learned Charles Manson interpreted the Beatle's White Album as a prophecy about the future domination of whites by blacks, I stopped paying to much attention to "interpretations". The Bible is effectively a Rorschard test: every body can intepret it in a way that suit him.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: November 02, 2012, 09:55:56 am »

One problem.

You become him.
This may have already happened. More than once. Didn't Vector have kind of a Newton fetish?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 510