Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 992560 times)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #5385 on: June 27, 2013, 11:24:31 pm »

Cisgendered is an unnecessary distinction and anybody who actually calls themselves that amongst a flurry of other obscure terms should probably be dismissed.
Your assertion here is unsupported.

Why is a term for the opposite of transgendered unnecessary?
For the same reason I don't need to specify that I am alive, I am an animal, I am a mammal, I am a primate, I am a hominid, I am a human, and I am a sentient human. Things that are more common can be assumed to be true until otherwise said.

EDIT: To be clear, I am not anti-transexual.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: June 27, 2013, 11:36:59 pm »

No, you're just content to pretend the stance that as a cis person you're natural... normal.. not needing an identification even... isn't bigotry in itself. At least most people have woken up to the whole "skin color crayons" thing, but the same lessons apparently need to be beaten out of each individual issue. :I
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: June 27, 2013, 11:55:04 pm »

Natural? Maybe. Normal? Yes. You say that like it means there's some kind of oppression going on. Which is more oppressive/anti-transexual: "I don't feel the need to distinguish myself from you" vs. "I'm NOT transexual"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: June 27, 2013, 11:58:19 pm »

Did you know that the Missouri Synod Lutheran church explicitly argues that the "gender-neutral" masculine is appropriate in order to designate the subordinate role of women to men?

Thought you might find that interesting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: June 28, 2013, 12:03:59 am »

This isn't a matter of feminine vs masculine, though. It's a matter of nothing vs actively pointing out a difference.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: June 28, 2013, 12:05:43 am »

Why do we have the word brunette?

Isn't that just normal?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: June 28, 2013, 12:06:56 am »

This isn't a matter of feminine vs masculine, though. It's a matter of nothing vs actively pointing out a difference.
The topic isn't about that, though, it's about amazingly stupid things people have said. She swas just giving an example of something stupid, maybe even trying to draw this discussion away from what we're talking about.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: June 28, 2013, 12:10:11 am »

Isn't that just normal?
I think that means brown hair.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: June 28, 2013, 12:11:17 am »

Yeah.

And that's what's normal, statistically speaking.  Why the hell would we designate that anything?  Why not just call it normal and be done with it?

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: June 28, 2013, 12:11:48 am »

Isn't that just normal?
Because it's defining a color of hair.

Maybe. Does it matter whether or not it's normal? I don't go out of my way to point out that I have brown hair. Does it affect your view of me in any way if I specify that I do? If it does, is it in any way a significant difference?
The topic isn't about that, though, it's about amazingly stupid things people have said. She swas just giving an example of something stupid, maybe even trying to draw this discussion away from what we're talking about.
I guess I'll admit I was wrong or something. This topic is getting really confusing to follow. I think I'll just drop back out of the discussion and into lurking now.
NINJAEDIT
Yeah.
And that's what's normal, statistically speaking.  Why the hell would we designate that anything?  Why not just call it normal and be done with it?
That's not what I was talking about though. It's fine to have a word for it. The question is why does it need to actively be said?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: June 28, 2013, 12:14:04 am »

Yeah.

Because that's not the default gene color or something? Otherwise you'd have to explain to a large chunk of the Netherlands why their hair is abnormal.
Also, French word.
Sig! Onol

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: June 28, 2013, 12:14:58 am »

Because if someone dared call my utterly fabulous hair "just normal" I'd be slapping so many bitches that pimps across the country would be out of a job. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: June 28, 2013, 12:22:18 am »

Uh-huh.  Brown hair is the average color for France, by the way.  Argument still applies.

And you have to explain to a large chunk of the transsexual population why their configuration is abnormal.  What, can't you imagine a culture where transitioning is a standard rite of passage?  I sure can.

So, would someone please explain to me--why is it that we need so many special words for my lustrous chestnut curls, but people who use the word "cisgendered" are making a big fuss and trying to appear more special than they are?  Or creating unnecessary division?

After all, my eyes are dark brown with an amber halo inside.  Just like, oh... most people.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: June 28, 2013, 12:25:01 am »

Uh-huh.  Brown hair is the average color for France, by the way.  Argument still applies.

And you have to explain to a large chunk of the transsexual population why their configuration is abnormal.  What, can't you imagine a culture where transitioning is a standard rite of passage?  I sure can.

So, would someone please explain to me--why is it that we need so many special words for my lustrous chestnut curls, but people who use the word "cisgendered" are making a big fuss and trying to appear more special than they are?  Or creating unnecessary division?

After all, my eyes are dark brown with an amber halo inside.  Just like, oh... most people.
Wait, when did this become about gender? I haven't really been reading the thread, I'm just arguing that there's no default hair color that all humans have initially and is changed by other factors, but that there's a variety of different hair colors that people are born with and this none of them can be called normal, no matter how many people possess that particular genotype.
Sig! Onol

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: June 28, 2013, 12:27:29 am »

We've been using hair color as a metaphone for sex (as in the type, not the act) and gender.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 510