Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 982751 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #5925 on: August 16, 2013, 11:02:43 am »

Middle class in France and Spain is also the same level of privilege as being an Egyptian trillionaire.  It's supposed to be absurd.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: August 16, 2013, 11:14:55 am »

Wait, I actually went back and read the privilege thing. If you think it was meant seriously, I'm honestly doubting that you have basic reading comprehension or critical thinking skills. Go back to third grade, man.

Being ugly makes you oppressed. Jews are more privileged than anyone else. Passing trans people count as privileged. The "social autist" label gives /v/ as an example. The list goes on - there's at least one obvious joke in pretty much every single section.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: August 16, 2013, 11:49:58 am »

Being ugly makes you oppressed.
Note here: "Ugly = oppressed" is too broad a statement, but I will say that body shame is a thing. A nasty thing.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: August 16, 2013, 12:04:07 pm »

Nuh-uh, body shame is beautiful.  How dare you shame people's shame!

Ok, that's not really what you're doing, but that's not going to stop me from accusing you.
* Ogdibus points furiously!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: August 16, 2013, 12:05:01 pm »

Yeah, but being a thing doesn't make it oppression. You can get ridiculed for being short too, but that doesn't mean short people are oppressed.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: August 16, 2013, 12:14:55 pm »

The list also fails to mention people named Dennis or peasants. They are very prone to being oppressed, I mean who hasn't heard of at least one of those?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: August 16, 2013, 12:19:04 pm »

Passing trans people count as privileged.
That just recovers part of the -75 that's already there.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: August 16, 2013, 12:44:42 pm »

I guess it could be read like that. Also it recovers 10 of the -500. Not very significant, I suppose.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's an incredibly interesting phenomenon. Also it's likely Tumblr gained its SJW crowd simply by drawing from the same demographic as reddit [see; no neckbeards].

I'm continuing reading back toward the start of this conversation and wow, this is like a compilation of every single dismissive lie anyone has made up about /SRS/ and a good chunk of the ones about social justice people on the internet in general.

Also I'd really like it if you stopped referring to LGBT people as "gays and traps".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: August 16, 2013, 12:52:01 pm »

I honestly think it's just a lot of young women who want to be good people and are pretty bad at it right now, and are also learning to explore their sexuality, mental situation and all that after a life of "you must be a sweet, pretty doll to please men.  No, I don't care if you're feeling bad right now, you're going to put on your big girl panties and please other people" (which might be okay in small doses... I... guess... but it's seriously endless).  There's very few tumblr SJW people who are above the age of 25, to my understanding.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: August 16, 2013, 02:17:40 pm »

Being ugly makes you oppressed. Jews are more privileged than anyone else. Passing trans people count as privileged. The "social autist" label gives /v/ as an example. The list goes on - there's at least one obvious joke in pretty much every single section.

They're just trying to work as many issues as possible into the chart.  Jews having it better is an actual thing that people believe.  What everyone else said about the passing trans people reducing the minuses for being trans.  And as for the jokes, making jokes /= trolling.  See every documentary ever that has any funny parts, and a whole lot of satire.  Also, you seem to be assuming that whoever made this chart is both smart and thought things through, which is a poor assumption on the internet.  Particularly in favor of the "they didn't think this through" argument, the blind v paralyzed v retarded... oddness... isn't funny and doesn't make fun of anyone in particular, yet is obviously unrealistic.  Also, the gaps in income ranges.  How would someone who put in enough thought to make a rather subtle parody (subtle because there's nothing explicitly saying "this is parody" or explicitly making fun of SJW or whoever) miss such an obvious problem?  Unless there's something funny there that I'm missing.

Finally, click on the link to Poe's Law within this very thread, and then stop insulting people's reading comprehension levels.

I'm going to stay away from the SJW conversation because, as I said before, I don't know the second thing about them.  Except that for some reason they kept coming up in the Tropes against Women thread, but I'm also staying away from that because it ate too much of my time, so whatever.  I just thought that chart was entertaining.  I think I made that clear in my first post.  Oh, and I have read a few posts abusing the term "privilege" on a very brief foray into Tumblr, so that part seemed fair.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: August 16, 2013, 02:24:47 pm »

We need more SJWs here. They are arguably the best (and definitely the most hilarious) thing the internet managed to spawn so far.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: August 16, 2013, 02:26:52 pm »

We need more SJWs here. They are arguably the best (and definitely the most hilarious) thing the internet managed to spawn so far.

it might be hilarious when you watch from a distance (and holy shit is it entertaining) but when you've got them all over a community you actually care about it's like a vermin infestation

unless you don't give a damn, in which case by all means. some people just want to watch the world burn after all.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: August 16, 2013, 02:30:11 pm »

I mostly mean links and pics of them in action :P. Don't need them here, thankyouverymuch.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #5938 on: August 16, 2013, 02:33:27 pm »

It's like a home video show; watching someone get hit in the nuts is funny, but when it happens to you...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: August 16, 2013, 02:46:16 pm »

Also I'd really like it if you stopped referring to LGBT people as "gays and traps".
When did this happen? I are confizzle.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 510