Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 982777 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #5940 on: August 16, 2013, 02:56:23 pm »

I agree with Naxza's last paragraph. So much. These home videos just aren't funny...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5941 on: August 16, 2013, 04:06:18 pm »

Also I'd really like it if you stopped referring to LGBT people as "gays and traps".
When did this happen? I are confizzle.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's an incredibly interesting phenomenon. Also it's likely Tumblr gained its SJW crowd simply by drawing from the same demographic as reddit [see; no neckbeards].

It was a little before I posted the chart.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5942 on: August 16, 2013, 04:18:23 pm »

Specific quote for that:
/SRS/ can also be seen in /LGBT/, where they failed to take root and galvanized the gays and traps there of their hatred for feminism

They're just trying to work as many issues as possible into the chart.  Jews having it better is an actual thing that people believe.  What everyone else said about the passing trans people reducing the minuses for being trans.  And as for the jokes, making jokes /= trolling.  See every documentary ever that has any funny parts, and a whole lot of satire.  Also, you seem to be assuming that whoever made this chart is both smart and thought things through, which is a poor assumption on the internet.  Particularly in favor of the "they didn't think this through" argument, the blind v paralyzed v retarded... oddness... isn't funny and doesn't make fun of anyone in particular, yet is obviously unrealistic.  Also, the gaps in income ranges.  How would someone who put in enough thought to make a rather subtle parody (subtle because there's nothing explicitly saying "this is parody" or explicitly making fun of SJW or whoever) miss such an obvious problem?  Unless there's something funny there that I'm missing.

Finally, click on the link to Poe's Law within this very thread, and then stop insulting people's reading comprehension levels.

I think you're assuming a lot of things about my argument that aren't true. I just said this is a parody.

You assume a lot of thought would need to be put into it - I don't think so. I think someone decided to make fun of the SJWs who think all of reality can be summed up as a labelled checklist of privileges and oppression, then probably spent 20 minutes writing it and posted it to 4chan. I don't think they actually cared enough about it to revise it, hence the errors.

Honestly, I could argue more, but I really don't feel the need to argue my point when the chart speaks for itself. The chart arbitrarily splits Europe into different privilege categories, two of which are labelled "meh" countries and "shit" countries. The religion section has a "Black & Jewish" label. /v/ is given as an example of autism (which really makes me think someone on 4chan made this - of course, 4chan is known as a den of SJWs so I guess that doesn't prove my point). There's a section for doing the privilege check on a Friday/Saturday night, implying that you must be oppressed if you don't have anything better to be doing.

Yes, not everything in this is a joke, like the blind/paralyzed/retarded section. There's a basic framework of pseudo-realistic SJW stuff in there. Note that these are the parts that seem least thought out, like the income ranges. That's because the creator didn't care about those parts. They're not the jokes, and they're not the point of the chart.

And heck, I haven't even mentioned the stuff that shows the author didn't know much about social justice warriors. For instance, asexuality doesn't count as oppression. SJWs are all about asexual oppression. The attractiveness section doesn't mention thin privilege in any way, even though they're all over that. And there are way more sexuality and gender identity labels that would have been jammed into those two sections.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5943 on: August 16, 2013, 04:49:25 pm »

What are SJWs? I keep translating it in my head to "Sexual Jewish Warlocks", but I'm pretty sure that's not it.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5944 on: August 16, 2013, 04:50:14 pm »

Social Justice Warriors.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5945 on: August 16, 2013, 06:19:25 pm »

-snip-

The point I'm making is that just because its stupid and wrong doesn't prevent it from being genuine.  And even if whoever made this is misrepresenting the SJWs, that doesn't mean they aren't one.

Yes, a lot of it could work as parody.  But extreme enough viewpoints have a way of becoming unintentional self-parody, and I just don't think this chart has a strong tell where we can point at it and say "there is absolutely, 100%, no way that someone being sincere would write this."
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5946 on: August 16, 2013, 07:00:34 pm »

Jews are more privileged than anyone else.
In popular imagination in the US, at least(though not necessarily in reality), this is true, but not because they're Jews (as the chart jokingly supposes) so much as because of the ancillary "privileges" associated with Jewish-ness. There are, of course, Jews in Israel (Middle East, -600) but most of the Jews who stumble upon that chart are probably American (+20). Most of these Jews are white (+25), excepting those Ethiopians and Chinese, very few of whom live in the US, and mixed-race (Other, -100) people with Jewish mothers, like Drake. There is a certain degree of truth to the popular notion that American Jews are disproportionately high on the socioeconomic ladder (Affluent, +10, or in a few rare cases Rich, +100). A slightly less accurate stereotype that also has some basis in reality is that Jews are often bankers (+25). If they are religious and good about keeping the Sabbath, they won't be doing it on Saturday night (-15).
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5947 on: August 16, 2013, 11:13:05 pm »

Somebody was sharing a link to an article about how my Republican Governor was converting to become a democrat, commenting how they were super happy with this and how he has no business in his party of choice.

The link was satire, I'm pretty sure :S
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5948 on: August 17, 2013, 09:07:30 am »

Reading through the BLOC forums, I had a look at the general chat. Somebody posted this thread. Once you've read the initial post please open the spoiler below and continue.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
EDIT: Oops, my BBcode appeared to have been missing there.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:10:59 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5949 on: August 17, 2013, 10:15:38 am »

So apparently the RNC voted to bar CNN and NBC from covering their 2016 primary debates because both channels are doing specials about Hillary Clinton. That's right RNC, you show those dirty elitist partisan bastards what's what!  ::)

Link. Other link.

I mean, damn. This is so stupid I'm not even sure if it's worth posting in the politics thread. I'm beyond trusting or caring about either party, but it's shit like this that makes me view the Democrats as the party of greater sanity as well as of lesser evil.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5950 on: August 17, 2013, 12:32:15 pm »

They just wanted to make sure that the networks would be against them in the future, so next time they do something like this their arguments will be valid.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: August 17, 2013, 12:51:03 pm »

Running a special on a likely future and former presidential candidate and former first lady? My god. The horror.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5952 on: August 17, 2013, 01:01:53 pm »

So apparently the RNC voted to bar CNN and NBC from covering their 2016 primary debates because both channels are doing specials about Hillary Clinton. That's right RNC, you show those dirty elitist partisan bastards what's what!  ::)

Link. Other link.

I mean, damn. This is so stupid I'm not even sure if it's worth posting in the politics thread. I'm beyond trusting or caring about either party, but it's shit like this that makes me view the Democrats as the party of greater sanity as well as of lesser evil.

This is the part where FOX news withers away and burns in it's dirt coffin, for being Republican, right? (before I get "the monologue", no, I don't watch Fox. Nor do I watch the partisan media corporations and/or organizations on the other side of the political spectrum]

In all seriousness, I'm glad some liberals can say that their favored sources have a political slant. Many try to deny it. Kudos.

Interesting to see how many prople still divide people into "Red vs Blue".

Also interesting is the idea that any party could be "of" sanity, or the "common good" (which, funnily, is whatever it is anybody wants it to be)

It looks to me a little like mob mentality.

Where you only feel comfortable about your values, virtues, and motovations (or lack thereof of aforementioned) as long as there is a movement, a revolution, a Glorious Band of Social Warriors (or, depending on your view, Social Warmongers), a politician, or (ironically) a giant media corporation (but dedicated to "the greater good", s'okay) that agrees with you and agrees to make you "feel good" about it beyond doubt.

Hmm... I have a snazzy, new, feel-good, all-inclusive (unless you disagree) new name for it. "Group Individualism". (dunno, somebody probly aka definitely thought of that before me, but oh well)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 01:38:00 pm by PatriotSaint »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: August 17, 2013, 01:20:57 pm »

Interesting how a lot of really big twits say "interesting" when they mean "stupid", as if obfuscating what they really mean makes them sound smarter.

And by interesting, I mean annoying as fuck.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5954 on: August 17, 2013, 01:25:50 pm »

Interesting how a lot of really big twits say "interesting" when they mean "stupid", as if obfuscating what they really mean makes them sound smarter.

And by interesting, I mean annoying as fuck.

Or, by "interesting", I mean "interesting".

But I can't say I disagree with you. I could always add in 20+ "stupid", if that's the cure for OCD at the moment. For the moment.

Anything in that post you'd like to discuss now?

Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 510