Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 982772 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6075 on: August 29, 2013, 01:03:21 pm »

"If we cannot put [solar plants] it in the Mojave desert, I don't know where the hell we can put it."
- Governor Terminator

Silly Schwartz, how could the local desert wildlife possibly survive with some mirrors sticking out of the ground, and an underground power line!
The same way that birds can survive around forests of wind farms.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You know, I'm waiting for some animal-rights (or at least someone on Tumblr) group to claim that using fossil fuels counts as animal cruelty, because you're burning dead dinosaurs.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: August 29, 2013, 02:43:18 pm »

So, despite the obvious similarities of solar panels and wind turbines (?), please explain why Bob the desert tortoise will meet a terrible end due to the evil humans and their nefarious shiny mirrors sticking up from the ground.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: August 29, 2013, 02:47:18 pm »

Yeah, I don't think solar panels will ruin the local wildlife.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: August 29, 2013, 02:50:18 pm »

So, despite the obvious similarities of solar panels and wind turbines (?), please explain why Bob the desert tortoise will meet a terrible end due to the evil humans and their nefarious shiny mirrors sticking up from the ground.

A change in environmental conditions. Suddenly, there's a bunch of black things blocking the sunlight, and building them (and all the things needed to maintain them and use them, like wires in the ground, roads and whatnot) takes a toll on the environment as well. We don't know enough about the effects of solar panels in deserts, as far as I know, to use them on a large scale yet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: August 29, 2013, 02:51:06 pm »

You know, I'm waiting for some animal-rights (or at least someone on Tumblr) group to claim that using fossil fuels counts as animal cruelty, because you're burning dead dinosaurs.

Oh sure, that's fine.  But the moment you start using dead humans to make biscuits its suddenly some big deal.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: August 29, 2013, 02:54:05 pm »

Oh sure, that's fine.  But the moment you start using dead humans to make biscuits its suddenly some big deal.
It's better to make soap.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: August 29, 2013, 02:56:57 pm »

A change in environmental conditions. Suddenly, there's a bunch of black things blocking the sunlight, and building them (and all the things needed to maintain them and use them, like wires in the ground, roads and whatnot) takes a toll on the environment as well. We don't know enough about the effects of solar panels in deserts, as far as I know, to use them on a large scale yet.

So, I quote the terminator; If we can't put it in the Mojave Desert, WHERE THE HELL CAN WE PUT IIIITTTT BLLAAAARRGGHHH?

And, just to clarify, you're saying that there's not a single place in freaking Death Valley that we can stick up a few mirrors and an electrical line in? And that Bob The Tortoise can't possibly live with said mirrors blocking the sun in a few places; i.e. the area right below them?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 02:59:40 pm by PatriotSaint »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: August 29, 2013, 02:58:10 pm »

So, I quote the terminator; If we can't put it in the Mojave Desert, WHERE THE HELL CAN WE PUT IIIITTTT BLLAAAARRGGHHH?

In orbit. All you need is about 36 thousand kilometers cable per satellite. Nothing can go wrong.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: August 29, 2013, 02:59:03 pm »

There's plenty of old factories and whatnot. They're already near all the roads and stuff, so we can just take down older things we don't need and put solar panels there instead.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: August 29, 2013, 03:06:59 pm »

In orbit. All you need is about 36 thousand kilometers cable per satellite. Nothing can go wrong.

FOR TEH PLANET

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #6085 on: August 29, 2013, 05:03:17 pm »

Frantic woman drives up with an unconscious man in the passenger seat, "Which way is xxx Hospital?"

The stupid person says "Right," to indicate he understood the question, then "Turn left here, and it's just ahead."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fortunately, she parsed it as intended, and turned left, not right.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: August 29, 2013, 05:07:37 pm »

There's plenty of old factories and whatnot. They're already near all the roads and stuff, so we can just take down older things we don't need and put solar panels there instead.
Reduced efficiency. Also, Idiots could get at them and break them.

And yeah, solar panels are pretty disruptive. Animals in desert generally rely on heat differences to regulate their biorhythm, so that little bit of shadow can make a huge difference.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: August 29, 2013, 06:57:20 pm »

Fortunately, Bob the tortoise, while too slow to outrun the coyotes, is still fast enough to move out of the way of the shadow cast by an immobile, fucking, solar panel. That may or may not rotate occasionally. Or into it if he fucking feels like it. Don't tell Bob what he can or can't do!

I'd be most concerned for the lives of the sagebrush, if anything.

Just build a goddamn nuclear plant, fucking terminator. There are at least a few good locations for one nearby.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: August 29, 2013, 07:22:01 pm »

How is shadow going to disrupt anything? Can't an animal just... move a few metres or something?

I'm really struggling to understand your point.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: August 29, 2013, 07:27:48 pm »

Don't you understand!? We're forcing those poor animals to walk to a slightly different part of barren desert in order to stay in the sun! Oh, the unhumanity!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 510