Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 982655 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6090 on: August 29, 2013, 07:30:31 pm »

Fortunately, Bob the tortoise, while too slow to outrun the coyotes, is still fast enough to move out of the way of the shadow cast by an immobile, fucking, solar panel. That may or may not rotate occasionally. Or into it if he fucking feels like it. Don't tell Bob what he can or can't do!
I was thinking more about some of the burrowing species. Say one happens to burrow near a solar panel. Shadow moves over, the sand cools down, and the animal emerges, thinking twilight has come. Which it hasn't. Animal overheats, dies, or wastes precious energy.

Effects are fairly minimal, but not nonexistent.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: August 29, 2013, 07:31:53 pm »

But there are plenty of objects in the desert that cast shadows.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: August 29, 2013, 07:34:28 pm »

Not in massive quantities and density of  a solar power plant.

but yeah, the effects are neglible.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: August 29, 2013, 07:35:05 pm »

ebbor, what is your avatar?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: August 29, 2013, 07:35:24 pm »

Really, worrying about shit like this instead of (say) what hydroelectric dams do to waterway ecosystems is pretty much rage-worthy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6095 on: August 29, 2013, 07:48:42 pm »

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: August 29, 2013, 07:51:00 pm »

It's the guide.

Quote from: -This guide
In many of the more relaxed civilizations on the Outer Eastern Rim of the Galaxy, the Hitchhiker’s Guide has already supplanted the great Encyclopaedia Galactica as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it scores over the older, more pedestrian work in two important respects. First, it is slightly cheaper; and second, it has the words “DON’T PANIC” inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover.

Really, worrying about shit like this instead of (say) what hydroelectric dams do to waterway ecosystems is pretty much rage-worthy.
You were going to need to build those dams anyway for energy storage.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: August 30, 2013, 05:32:59 am »

Dams are definitely worse than solar panels. I'd be fine if we had a survey of what a bunch of solar panels would actually do to the desert, and it turned out it didn't have an adverse effect on the environment. Until then, however, I'm voting we still need more data.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: August 30, 2013, 05:47:23 am »

I'd say that more damage would be done to the environment by the installation and maintenance of the solar panels than by the shadow they cast (though that is a valid point).

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: August 30, 2013, 05:56:18 am »

On a side note, do we have any idea what effects the large reflection would have on local weather systems. Not that it'll make much different, but it could change local weather.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: August 30, 2013, 07:41:45 am »

We... kinda' do? I mean, urban areas. More or less. Reflection or heat trapping being the cause of it is fairly irrelevant, I think? Effect would still be more or less the same. Not that there isn't plenty of reflection going on in those areas, too.

I don't think the (currently) better large scale solar options would have that much of a problem, regarding that. They're basically just freaking gigantic mirrors concentrating sunlight on a point. Not much heat/light spewing around everywhere. You don't want that, anyway. Wasted energy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: August 30, 2013, 07:56:56 am »

We... kinda' do? I mean, urban areas. More or less. Reflection or heat trapping being the cause of it is fairly irrelevant, I think? Effect would still be more or less the same. Not that there isn't plenty of reflection going on in those areas, too.
Urban areas increase temperatures by 5 to 10 degrees . Depending on time and location. The effects of that aren't very neglible, but they're drowned out by the effects of the mass of steel and concrete

I don't think the (currently) better large scale solar options would have that much of a problem, regarding that. They're basically just freaking gigantic mirrors concentrating sunlight on a point. Not much heat/light spewing around everywhere. You don't want that, anyway. Wasted energy.
I meant that the light is reflected rather than wasted on the ground, resulting in lower temperatures on average. Probably neglible, but the effects exist.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: August 30, 2013, 12:38:08 pm »

Frantic woman drives up with an unconscious man in the passenger seat, "Which way is xxx Hospital?"

The stupid person says "Right," to indicate he understood the question, then "Turn left here, and it's just ahead."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fortunately, she parsed it as intended, and turned left, not right.
Reminds me of a few weeks ago, when someone pulled up to me to ask where a specific street was(said street is a 6-lane highway, kinda hard to miss). Drives off before I finish explaining. I hope they got lost.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: August 30, 2013, 04:18:33 pm »

"A pint of ice cream is snack sized." -stupid person who apparently can't read the label on the back of the ice cream container

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: August 30, 2013, 05:08:01 pm »

While I'm open to the idea of solar panels being harmful, it seems implausible to me.  The world is already littered with millions of organic solar panels called plants.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 510