Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 982736 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6105 on: August 30, 2013, 05:17:22 pm »

While I'm open to the idea of solar panels being harmful, it seems implausible to me.  The world is already littered with millions of organic solar panels called plants.
Well, cover the desert in plants = No more desert.

It's not because it's organic that it can't be harmful to the environment.

((Starting to get a bit tired of the Organic/natural stuff is automatically good argument))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: August 30, 2013, 05:19:13 pm »

Perhaps more relevantly, our solar power and the solar power of plants are far different. Which is quite a shame, because if (and likely when) our solar power's efficiency is equal to that of plants, they will be very powerful indeed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: August 30, 2013, 05:31:29 pm »

Perhaps more relevantly, our solar power and the solar power of plants are far different. Which is quite a shame, because if (and likely when) our solar power's efficiency is equal to that of plants, they will be very powerful indeed.

As with many aspects of science and engineering, copying nature might be the best bet.
This is a blank sig.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: August 30, 2013, 07:32:32 pm »

"Michael Jackson bleached his skin." -person who didn't do any research before saying this.
No, he didn't. He had a skin condition. Look it up.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: August 30, 2013, 07:34:33 pm »

Technically he did bleach it, but only because of the skin condition you're talking about. He spent a lot of time putting on makeup to cover up the whitening of his skin, and decided to just bleach it all to no longer have to deal with that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: August 30, 2013, 08:00:13 pm »

Huh.

"Thin privilege is being able to die of natural causes." -some idiot on tumblr

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: August 30, 2013, 08:00:58 pm »

"Natural causes" refers mostly to things that obesity makes more likely for you >.<

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: August 31, 2013, 07:49:38 am »

"Natural causes" refers mostly to things that obesity makes more likely for you >.<
Hence the logic behind it. An obese person dies from an obesitas induced heart attack, a thin person from a "natural" heart attack.

After all, natural causes just means that we didn't know what caused it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: August 31, 2013, 08:11:14 am »

Did anyone save anything to do with short privilege? That shit was hilarious.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: August 31, 2013, 12:13:44 pm »

Did anyone save anything to do with short privilege? That shit was hilarious.
Doghouse diaries did a strip on advantages and disadvantages to being tall, and another one for being short.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: August 31, 2013, 12:16:41 pm »

One of my managers at the pizza place I work at got a phone call from a customer, yesterday.  It was one of those phone calls where, watching the reactions and listening to one half of the conversation, you can observe the poor bastard getting dumber every minute, just from exposure to whatever's on the other end.  The high point of the conversation: "The chicken caesar salad comes with caesar dressing.  That's why it's called a caesar salad."
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: August 31, 2013, 01:59:17 pm »

Obligatory.

In other news, I overheard someone saying at a restaurant "The Service here is so slow, we should have gone to [Fast food restaurant]"

FAST FOOD IS FASTER THAN EVERYWHERE.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: August 31, 2013, 04:43:08 pm »

obesitas
I love the way you use Latin to refer to a medical condition when a near-identical English form exists. It makes you look like a magick herbe and potion healer type from the middle ages.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: August 31, 2013, 04:48:55 pm »

obesitas
I love the way you use Latin to refer to a medical condition when a near-identical English form exists. It makes you look like a magick herbe and potion healer type from the middle ages.
Forsooth, I say,...

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: August 31, 2013, 05:27:56 pm »

"Look at this, this laptop is from 1988!" - My brother

I disproved this, at least to my own satisfaction, by telling him that the laptop could connect to wireless internet, which AFAIK didn't exist in 1988. There are all sorts of ways I could prove the laptop isn't that old, but that would involve technical specs which I couldn't be bothered to look up.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 510