Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 992397 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6495 on: September 18, 2013, 02:34:53 pm »

I've found that AAA games get pirated alot less than indies. Something like GTA should 'lose' about 1% to 3% of sales to piracy. And those people were going to pirate it anyway.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: September 20, 2013, 09:43:25 am »

I smell smoke.
Where there's smoke there's flamers.

On topic: Apparently mum was watching some talk show when there was a mother who basically said "I've been abusing my daughter since she was two, please help me." They gave the father crap for apparently not doing anything to stop her, but they didn't speak to the mother at all, which was a wicked pisser for me.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: September 20, 2013, 10:09:27 am »

Is Iraq part of the middle east?

BASIC GEOGRAPHY. WHY.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: September 20, 2013, 10:17:08 am »

On topic: Apparently mum was watching some talk show when there was a mother who basically said "I've been abusing my daughter since she was two, please help me." They gave the father crap for apparently not doing anything to stop her, but they didn't speak to the mother at all, which was a wicked pisser for me.

Well do they chew mothers out for not stopping the abusive father?

I mean if it is equal opportunity abuse. Assuming that was the stupid.

Err wait... *reads closer and the "didn't speak to the mother at all part*

Uhhh... Nevermind then... that would have been stupid either way. Even if it was just to go over the problem with her.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:28:11 am by Neonivek »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: September 20, 2013, 10:30:00 am »

Talk shows in general are stupid. They never actually solve problems.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: September 20, 2013, 10:32:43 am »

Talk shows in general are stupid. They never actually solve problems.

I loathe the ones that are made to make the problem worse.

It is sort of why I dislike the show Cheaters. Not because they catch cheaters but because the way the show is set up you know they are trying to capitalize on the drama of the victim...

And that is as far as I'll go since this is a getting off topic.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: September 21, 2013, 08:48:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Its basically a scoreboard for how disadvantaged you have.  Except that if you analyze it even a little, you'll realize that the numbers make no sense.  Blind is three times worse than paralyzed, being Muslim makes you less privileged even if you live in the Middle East, being very short apparently puts you at a net disadvantage even if you're rich, ect.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this was meant seriously.

So how many points do you gain for misspelling "Austist" and how do you qualify for a height of Manly Tears?

Gee, I feel (more? Less? "You're a teacher? Cool, I'm a technology!") privileged for having read that.
I know this is old, but still. How can I be less privileged for being a latino? That's kind of racist.
I think someone at some point basically proved that chart was a joke.

As for being less privileged for being Latino, it has to do with theoretical societal attitudes toward a person. So if you're Latino, the idea is that people are less accepting of you than if you weren't. I sort of get the idea, but, yes, it does border on racist in itself at times. It's all a part of Tumblr's sophisticated-to-the-point-of-incomprehensibility privilege ranking system.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: September 21, 2013, 08:52:04 am »

Its basically a scoreboard for how disadvantaged you have.  Except that if you analyze it even a little, you'll realize that the numbers make no sense.  Blind is three times worse than paralyzed, being Muslim makes you less privileged even if you live in the Middle East, being very short apparently puts you at a net disadvantage even if you're rich, ect.

So how many points do you gain for misspelling "Austist" and how do you qualify for a height of Manly Tears?

Gee, I feel (more? Less? "You're a teacher? Cool, I'm a technology!") privileged for having read that.
I know this is old, but still. How can I be less privileged for being a latino? That's kind of racist.

As for being less privileged for being Latino, it has to do with theoretical societal attitudes toward a person. So if you're Latino, the idea is that people are less accepting of you than if you weren't. I sort of get the idea, but, yes, it does border on racist in itself at times. It's all a part of Tumblr's sophisticated-to-the-point-of-incomprehensibility privilege ranking system.
I think on Tumblr the lower you are on that 'privilege ranking system' the higher you are in the pecking order. Kinda fucking weird.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: September 21, 2013, 09:03:33 am »

I think on Tumblr the lower you are on that 'privilege ranking system' the higher you are in the pecking order. Kinda fucking weird.
Of course. Spot on.

So a superrich1 highly attractive tall athletic white cisgender heterosexual Swedish Jewish investment banker doing this on Sunday or a weeknight and capable of adding will inevitably get lynched on Tumblr.2

But a disfigured, fat, ugly-faced homeless diseased autistic deaf blind paralyzed retarded gay black Middle Eastern3 intersex transgender Muslim scientist of "dodger" height (whatever that means) doing this on Saturday night and incapable of basic math would in theory4 run the town.

1. This is for a point that we already discussed, that the chart lists "plutocrat" at $1 trillion, while literally no one on Earth has that much money. So I'm substituting the imprecise "superrich" to give the same idea.
2. Ironically this essentially describes, minus the Swedish part, a good number of the lesser celebrities whom other Tumblrites worship.
3. Actually, were this person to live in the Middle East, their life would be tremendously difficult. I'll give them that.
4. I think there's a Tumblr out there by a person like this, but I can't be bothered to find out.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:23:31 am by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: September 21, 2013, 09:18:57 am »

There's no such thing as a fat butterface though :v

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: September 21, 2013, 09:20:28 am »

There's no such thing as a fat butterface though :v
That's true. Butterface would be the wrong term. I'll edit.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: September 21, 2013, 11:11:41 am »

To be honest, the mental image of a bunch of cables coming down from a treehouse is rather amusing.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: September 21, 2013, 11:15:52 am »

To be honest, the mental image of a bunch of cables coming down from a treehouse is rather amusing.
I dunno, I think Satellite internet might be more beneficial. Altitude gives a better connection.

Edit: On a side note, I recently learned we had a "colony*" there.

*Basically, an agreement with the Guatemalan government where we got some jungle they weren't using, and agreed to develop it for them. It went terribly wrong.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:17:48 am by 10ebbor10 »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: September 21, 2013, 11:43:05 am »

Belgian colonies have a history of that sort of thing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: September 21, 2013, 12:28:54 pm »

Belgian colonies have a history of that sort of thing.
We didn't decimate the indigenous that time. We sent our own poor people and petty thieves.
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 510