Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002127 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #7080 on: October 22, 2013, 04:37:33 pm »

but in the meantime there's not much wrong with eating the corpses.
I think the animals would beg to differ if they could. 

The political side is vastly preferable. My issue is that there are very few political parties or organizations that I would feel comfortable in supporting on this issue. PETA have the highest profile but they're daft as a brush.
I have ... mixed opinions about PETA, but there are many other organizations out there (PCRM, Farm Sanctuary, ALDF, etc.)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7081 on: October 22, 2013, 04:42:18 pm »

I like the way we ran out of stupid things, so now we're debating whether or not meat eating is a good idea.

Also, screw PETA. They aren't good in my book.
Animal testing is immoral and such, but they have the opinion that using animals in ANY way is EVIL!

I think my cats would beg to differ.

Let's not go into PETA being chummy with ALF, who are like real-life LCS except less stable.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: October 22, 2013, 04:42:57 pm »

I like the way we ran out of stupid things, so now we're debating whether or not meat eating is a good idea.

Also, screw PETA. They aren't good in my book.
Animal testing is immoral and such, but they have the opinion that using animals in ANY way is EVIL!

Cats use you, anyway.  Everyone knows that. 

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: October 22, 2013, 04:45:04 pm »

I think the animals would beg to differ if they could. 

Regarding the fact that they had been killed for meat, or that I was eating their corpse?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: October 22, 2013, 04:46:22 pm »

Nah, cause the only reason I'm not Vegetarian is because of chicken, and the only reason I'm not vegan, other than chicken, is cheese.
Err... I'm pretty sure the other items on the list still make you not a vegetarian. You eat meat. Many different types. Literally the only thing you don't is mammals. Maybe there's a name for that, but it's not vegetarian.

Fish is DEFINITELY considered meat. Bugs are sort of an edge case, but most people consider them meat too. If you say you're a vegetarian but that you eat fish, most vegetarians are just going to laugh at you. It's like saying you're a hacker because you guessed someone's password to their email (which was password1).
But if chicken didn't exist, I wouldn't eat animals. That's the point I wanted to make.

Wut. Seriously, though. I'm confused.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: October 22, 2013, 04:47:19 pm »

Animal testing is immoral and such
Animal testing is ESSENTIAL for research and development of new drugs and therapies.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7086 on: October 22, 2013, 04:49:20 pm »

Nonono, see, GO volunteered for the job, and he hates it.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: October 22, 2013, 04:51:14 pm »

PETA protests the owning of pets. Their ideals are very strange, I had to watch a few documentaries on them in school.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: October 22, 2013, 04:53:37 pm »

Animal testing is ESSENTIAL for research and development of new drugs and therapies.

Yeah, it's either that or testing something potentially harmful on humans. Although given the existence of VHEMT, I suspect some of animal-rightera would be fine with the latter.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: October 22, 2013, 04:57:41 pm »

PETA protests the owning of pets. Their ideals are very strange, I had to watch a few documentaries on them in school.
Oh, that. I've heard about the owning thing. End of the day, I'll let them do their thing. Bring on the cheesy chicken!

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: October 22, 2013, 05:01:21 pm »

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine would disagree.

Yeah, it's either that or testing something potentially harmful on humans. Although given the existence of VHEMT, I suspect some of animal-rightera would be fine with the latter.
Oh hey, I have some stickers from VEHMT.  Never would have thought I'd see that name mentioned. 

But, um, yeah, false dichotomy there.  It isn't "test on humans or animals or nothing".  For example.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: October 22, 2013, 05:09:12 pm »

Thing is, why is it more moral to use it on animals than it is on humans? Are humans somehow more superior than animals?

EDIT: Actually, I'll go make a thread so we stop spamming this thread with the animals rights stuff.

Not necessarily, but assuming they aren't superior, which we don't have much reasons to believe, there's no reason not to use them if you can pick. If you think human suffering is neither more nor less important to that of an animal, why would inflicting the same amount of suffering be less moral when you use animals?

And if human suffering trumps animal suffering, no issue either.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: October 22, 2013, 06:00:02 pm »

Humans are capable of consenting to testing while other animals aren't?
...this is reminding me of the bestiality/slaughter discussion we had earlier.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: October 22, 2013, 06:00:56 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=132352.0

OK, go here for the animal rights stuff. This thread is for stupid people/quotes, not debates.
Srsly people. New thread. Take it there.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: October 22, 2013, 06:02:15 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=132352.0

OK, go here for the animal rights stuff. This thread is for stupid people/quotes, not debates.
Srsly people. New thread. Take it there.
Whelp, in a meta context I guess my post belongs here because I completely missed that. I though greatorder posted scrdest's post or... something. Brain tired no work too good.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 510