Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004144 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #7380 on: November 18, 2013, 01:13:06 pm »

You're implying that modern alphabets (mainly Latin alphabet) don't leave things up for interpretation.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7381 on: November 18, 2013, 01:24:39 pm »

What I am fairly offended about is that TCM puts ancient celtic music (amongst others) in the "advanced grunting and perfecting banging" category. I mean, shit, when you enter "medieval" in Youtube's search engine, "medieval music" is the second suggestion, and this is the first result of the search. I dare you to dismiss it as "banging and grunting". It's like dismissing everything between the fall of the roman empire and the renaissance as "the Dark Ages".
Well, it's not just ancient celtic music. I mean, the Greeks are in there too, as are Egyptians, and all Asian civilizations.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: November 18, 2013, 01:32:26 pm »

You're implying that modern alphabets (mainly Latin alphabet) don't leave things up for interpretation.
it's not the alphabet's fault that filthy saxons cannot follow simple phonetic rules. it serves romance languages pretty well

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: November 18, 2013, 01:41:43 pm »

it's not the alphabet's fault that filthy saxons cannot follow simple phonetic rules. it serves romance languages pretty well
Can't tell if joking.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: November 18, 2013, 02:01:35 pm »

Can't tell if joking.
Now I'm having flashbacks to verb tenses and irregularities.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: November 18, 2013, 04:33:48 pm »

It's like dismissing everything between the fall of the roman empire and the renaissance as "the Dark Ages".

So, pretty much everyone except those who specialize in the field don't realize it's wrong? :P
Uh... No. How about anybody who had World history?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: November 18, 2013, 04:43:33 pm »

It's like dismissing everything between the fall of the roman empire and the renaissance as "the Dark Ages".

So, pretty much everyone except those who specialize in the field don't realize it's wrong? :P
Uh... No. How about anybody who didn't sleep through World history?
Ftfy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7387 on: November 18, 2013, 05:09:12 pm »

Didn't sleep through it and remember any of it. At that point, you probably cut 1/15th to 1/20th of the class per year, down to a minimum of whatever poor fools ended up getting a history degree. And the chances of them joining the "forgotten everything" pile increases with every year they spend in a low wage job outside their field.

E:... also assuming that the world history class they had was high enough level to not be horribly distorted, misrepresented, outright wrong, and/or with huge swaths of importing information flat out omitted.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 05:13:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: November 18, 2013, 05:33:51 pm »

Let me rephrase, AP world history. I couldn't sleep through my world history. The teacher made it a point to make the class as brutal as possible, to such an extent that even people who I'm pretty sure had IQs in the mid 200s were struggling to protect their GPAs' maidenhood. He was awesome, and made damn well sure we actually learned our shit while he was at it. If it weren't for the fact that he throws everybody a bone on the last day and basically gets rid of some of the horrible grades to bump you up, half the students that go through his class probably wouldn't pass.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: November 18, 2013, 05:41:58 pm »

So... you're wanting to rephrase that to "An actually decent world history class". I'm fairly sure I might as well have slept through the college history classes I had and, at this point, barely remember anything from them (which isn't to say I haven't picked up stuff over the years, but it wasn't because of those classes). Same for the dual-enrolled stuff I took in high school (which was American history, but the point stands. It was far from challenging* and not terribly engaging.). From what I've been able to pick up over the years... my experience was unfortunately a lot closer to the norm than yours.

Lucky you (seriously, we need more of that), but most folks aren't going to have had experienced that. As scrdest noted, more or less.

*I still remember one particular test quite well. I had been sick the week before, and I had no idea what the test was on, what chapter we were on... anything. I hadn't read the reading for that test (because I didn't know what it was) -- didn't even know there was a test that day until it started being passed out. I was literally unprepared to the point I would have known as much about the tested content on the day I walked into the class as I did when I took it.

Ended up scoring either a low A or high B, and doing better than a good 3/4ths to 4/5ths of the class.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 05:49:23 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7390 on: November 18, 2013, 05:47:44 pm »

I still prefer Gaelic, Anglish, and Esperanto, over the mongrel language English. :P And only one of those is at all easy to find material to learn it with! D:

Edit: Re: Teachers, we need to have a world-wide competition to get the best and brightest teachers to donate their time to creating a model of teaching strong-AI once we have those. And then give every student an AI teacher.

We can't do it before then because we need an AI that can be flexible enough to cater to the individual student. Already have enough problems with standardized testing.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7391 on: November 18, 2013, 06:40:03 pm »

Quote from: My mom's boyfriend
You know what you should do? You should make your own website, and get rich like those people on the internet.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7392 on: November 18, 2013, 06:58:57 pm »

You know what you should do? You should make your own website, and get rich like those people on the internet.
That's less stupid and more...easier said than done. I mean, a lot of the really popular websites that made their creators wealthy were pretty simple ideas, or even copies of ideas other people have had just done better or got luckier. Unless he was assuming that simply making a website at all would somehow make you wealthy.

Kind of like saying 'You should invent something amazing that everyone wants and become a billionaire!'
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: November 18, 2013, 07:11:20 pm »

I think I've done a perfectly accurate job in methodically labeling all periods of musical history. As for putting late medieval era together with pre-history, well, why not? Not much got done in the Dark Age. Peasants starved to death, knights beat each other with phallic objects, and royalty killed each other over wanting additional slices of pie or concerning which flavor of ice cream Jesus Christ preferred.
This was going to the stupid things you've heard people say, but then I realized it already was.
I mean you can't be serious.

My statement is actually a paraphrasing from a segment by Yahtzee.
And no, this isn't something that I take seriously.

What I am fairly offended about is that TCM puts ancient celtic music (amongst others) in the "advanced grunting and perfecting banging" category. I mean, shit, when you enter "medieval" in Youtube's search engine, "medieval music" is the second suggestion, and this is the first result of the search. I dare you to dismiss it as "banging and grunting". It's like dismissing everything between the fall of the roman empire and the renaissance as "the Dark Ages".

I'm just making generalization facetiously. I listen to a lot of classical music, and have similarly labeled that era as the age of "Serious white dudes in silly outfits." When I checked the thread out and found people defining eras of musical history, I decided why not make my own list, one rife with stereotypes and misconceptions.

I'm offended that you're obviously blinding dismissing the "Banging and grunting" aspect of music. What's wrong with some good ole' banging and grunting? One of my favorite mainstream rap hits this year has a bang/grunt-based harmony.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7394 on: November 18, 2013, 07:14:49 pm »

That's less stupid and more...easier said than done. I mean, a lot of the really popular websites that made their creators wealthy were pretty simple ideas, or even copies of ideas other people have had just done better or got luckier. Unless he was assuming that simply making a website at all would somehow make you wealthy.

Kind of like saying 'You should invent something amazing that everyone wants and become a billionaire!'

He has no idea about how the internet works. He can barely open his e-mail.

Apparently just owning a website can make you millions.
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 510