Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004203 times)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #7440 on: November 20, 2013, 03:14:56 am »

Waste of your time. He practically lives in a panic room.
He can go around the walls in one of his other 14 dimensions. Xantalos is an eldritch abomination, y'know.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: November 20, 2013, 03:21:41 am »

I am the panic room.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: November 20, 2013, 04:01:12 am »

Well you certainly -cause- panic. And mind-melting, can't forget the soul-searing brain-melting insanity.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: November 20, 2013, 04:41:20 am »

On the subject of alternate naming:
Honestly, a lot of (United-States-of) Americans identify by their individual state. For that matter, identifying by state allows for easier stereotyping that doesn't confuse Texans with Kansans. I dunno if this is relevant, by brain no worky.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: November 20, 2013, 04:48:48 am »

Panic Room sounds like a good name for a probably already is the name of a rock band.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: November 20, 2013, 06:32:33 am »

Panic Room sounds like a good name for a probably already is the name of a rock band.
Yeah, looks like it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: November 20, 2013, 08:12:17 am »

I am the panic room.

So the guy who made autocorrect is inside you pretty much all of the time?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: November 20, 2013, 08:23:37 am »

I'll accept the Euros calling us Yankees so long as they're fine with being called Euros, but amongst peers only New Englanders should be called Yankees.
But we actually have countries that aren't just named after a continent.
A continent named after a person. At least we aren't so arrogant as to have a continent (that isn't a continent) named "The Good Land".

Latinized form of Greek Ευρωπη (Europe), which meant "wide face" from ευρυς (eurys) "wide" and ωψ (ops) "face, eye". In Greek mythology Europa was a Phoenician princess who was abducted and taken to Crete by Zeus in the guise of a bull. The continent of Europe is named for her. This is also the name of a moon of Jupiter.

Confused now. Didn't watch the video, so that might be it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: November 20, 2013, 09:03:00 am »

I was referencing the "Eu-", the root for good.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: November 20, 2013, 09:05:58 am »

Well, it appears the etymology doesn't appear to agree with you on that. At least, not in so far as it found. It's not because it shares 2 characters that the words are related.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: November 20, 2013, 10:02:26 am »

Yeah, the root words of "Europa" aren't related to that affix. Though this is as good a time as any to rage over people who confuse "utopia" with "eutopia".

On the subject of alternate naming:
Honestly, a lot of (United-States-of) Americans identify by their individual state. For that matter, identifying by state allows for easier stereotyping that doesn't confuse Texans with Kansans. I dunno if this is relevant, by brain no worky.
As I said before... it doesn't really work that well externally. There are cultural differences between the states to a certain degree, but they're largely superficial and subordinate to regional culture, which in turn is subordinate to national culture. Take, for example, my home state, Kentucky.

In varying degrees, we're known for breeding and racing thoroughbreds, for brewing bourbon (and making delicious candy with it), for being the home of an asshole who happened to steal a chicken recipe, for being on top of a bloody huge cave system, for having the best college basketball team in the country (and it sure ain't you, U of L), for our eastern part being too much like West Virginia for comfort, for being one of the two states to not really pick a side in the Civil War, for having a majority of registered Democrats but still voting in a pair of right bastards to our Senate seats, and for being the birthplace of both one of our three best presidents and a pretty cool explorer.

On the flip side, we speak the same language as the rest of the people of the U.S. with accents broadly similar to many of them, practice the same religions in the same proportions (or not) as the rest of the U.S., eat the same foods (barring a few things special to the state like our hot brown), enjoy the same entertainment, have the same political disagreements, believe in the same institutions, value the same rights and responsibilities, etc.

You could take five people, one each from Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, Florida, and Texas, put them all in a room together, and by-and-large they'd all understand and empathize with each other, share similar worldviews (regardless of their positions on them), and probably agree on two or three big things (like, "It sure is great living in America"  :P). Probably the points in U.S. history where you could make a valid argument for there being two distinct nations within the state would have been during the Civil War, during the height of the civil rights movement, and during the Vietnam War. Those were all times where the cultural differences went beyond the surface level and became serious rifts within society, where people disagreed (and would hate each other) over basic ideological incompatibilities.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: November 20, 2013, 11:21:07 am »

-snip!-

Indeed. I've often met tourists from other parts of the nation (USA: We're so big that we go on vacation to ourselves) and I could instantly and readily discuss things with them and we'd have a pretty similar viewpoint. And the 'sure is great living in America' thing is a fantastic way to start a conversation with a tourist, because then you can both talk about why your particular slice of America is awesome. In F_D's case, this would be Jim Beam candy and stuff. In my case, it would be trailer parks and meth. I mean, incredibly low cost of living.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: November 20, 2013, 11:36:46 am »

-snip!-

Indeed. I've often met tourists from other parts of the nation (USA: We're so big that we go on vacation to ourselves) and I could instantly and readily discuss things with them and we'd have a pretty similar viewpoint. And the 'sure is great living in America' thing is a fantastic way to start a conversation with a tourist, because then you can both talk about why your particular slice of America is awesome. In F_D's case, this would be Jim Beam candy and stuff. In my case, it would be trailer parks and meth. I mean, incredibly low cost of living.
Home of the guy who invented basketball. I win.
Seriously, I live near the Legends in Kansas, and there are statues and plaques all over the front entrance area about awesome Kansas is.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: November 20, 2013, 11:45:01 am »

Southern California = best weather in entire country. Fact.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7454 on: November 20, 2013, 11:49:50 am »

-snip!-

Home of the guy who invented basketball. I win.
Seriously, I live near the Legends in Kansas, and there are statues and plaques all over the front entrance area about awesome Kansas is.

>Home of the guy that invented basketball.

That's nice. You forget that Kansas is literally just a plain for 90% of it's coverage, and the last 10% is foothills to the Rockies. Kansas is so flat that it's almost surreal. :P

Southern California = best weather in entire country. Fact.

... This is a fact I can agree with.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 510