Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 982715 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #7590 on: November 28, 2013, 11:30:54 pm »

Wait, did you just say my family had a disease? I was going to come up with some sort of polite, direct response, but you just created an assumption that labeled my own family mentally ill, along with millions of families  across the globe, including probably the majority, if not many, of families to which other users on this forum belong to. You can say whatever ever you want to me, but you bring my family into your bizarre ravings?

How dare you. I've never gotten into any disagreement on a forum, no matter how vicious, for someone to say something like that about my entire family, and in a message so awe-inducingly graphic.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: November 28, 2013, 11:36:49 pm »

In the spirit of being 100% fair, some us associate guys cussing their brains out like a gangsta with the bullies we grew up with in school. You know, the guys who spent their days degrading you, beating on you and spitting on the back of your head in class, sneaking into the stall adjacent to yours in the bathroom and throwing toilet water over the divider at you, nabbing any possessions you neglect to secure in a proper locker. And it does seem immature to act like that beyond middle school.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: November 28, 2013, 11:41:23 pm »

In the spirit of being 100% fair, some us associate guys cussing their brains out like a gangsta with the bullies we grew up with in school. You know, the guys who spent their days degrading you, beating on you and spitting on the back of your head in class, sneaking into the stall adjacent to yours in the bathroom and throwing toilet water over the divider at you, nabbing any possessions you neglect to secure in a proper locker. And it does seem immature to act like that beyond middle school.

It seems more than immature to commit serious harassment, theft, assault, and potentially assault with a deadly weapon (I can't quite remember how they charge people that spit on cops, but I would assume that you could press for the same. I seem to recall it involving something like 3-5 years in prison) at any point in your life. Those are crimes, and some of them are extremely severe. Just throwing that out there. Associating a manner of speech of with criminals, although understandable, is stereotyping. I curse rather often, but I would certainly never assault someone unless it was in defense of myself or another, nor would I or HAVE I ever stolen from someone, besides once when I was very young and didn't understand the concept of personal property.

And don't respond to Lord Bucket. He is a troll, he wants a reaction, move on with your lives and ignore him.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7593 on: November 28, 2013, 11:45:36 pm »

And don't respond to Lord Bucket. He is a troll, he wants a reaction, move on with your lives and ignore him.

m8

u wot

u wot m8

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: November 28, 2013, 11:47:29 pm »

Exactly what I said. He only wants to start an argument and I refuse to participate in it. I call it like I see it, and from every other post of his that I've seen, he's a troll. Rule number one of trolls? Don't feed them. You do as you wish, I won't be dragged into it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: November 28, 2013, 11:50:36 pm »

Exactly what I said. He only wants to start an argument and I refuse to participate in it. I call it like I see it, and from every other post of his that I've seen, he's a troll. Rule number one of trolls? Don't feed them. You do as you wish, I won't be dragged into it.

Let's widen your reference pool then and see if your opinion changes

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: November 28, 2013, 11:51:21 pm »

* LordSlowpoke shudders.

I for one refuse to believe these are not LB's genuine feelings on the matter. Whenever it's stereotypical or not, the only thing done wrong within that argument is actively insulting people (and in the heat of the moment you might not even be noticing writing it out)

Most of us make posts we regret later, it's what we (and Toady separately) make of them. And yeah, broad strokes here. I'm not going to point fingers as you probably know yours best.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: November 28, 2013, 11:56:35 pm »

When it comes to scatological language in every day usage I always think of the Catalan pre-meal saying.

menja bé, caga fort i no tinguis por a la mort! (Eat well, shit a good deal and don't be afraid of death!)
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: November 29, 2013, 12:00:58 am »

Do you really think that no one who greets you with a handshake and a nice 3/4 part in their hair, perhaps even obediently calling you "sir," went home to say "fuck," "shit," and "damn" as they pleased?  Or that they could choose to do so simply because they preferred it, regardless of familial social tradition?

If they do, that's no concern of mine. But to work with a metaphor...people who smoke generally smell like smoke. nd I personally find the smell of burned paper and tar unpleasant. If someone chooses to smoke, that's not my concern, it's not my problem, it's none of my business, and it's not my place to tell them where or not they're "allowed" to smoke. It's completely their affair. But if they light up in front of  me and start blowing smoke in my face...yes, that's going to be pleasant for me.

Some people's communication is like that.

something so infinitesimally irritating as people using language differently to him.

I see. So if I raping spoke like anal fixation this, you'd totally ruptured scrotum be ok with it?

Do you see how ridiculous it sounds to talk like that? How is that any different?

"Yo dog. Fuckin' shit be real man."

What does that even mean? And why on earth do some people think that "fucking shit" is a proper, reasonable, healthly ordinary and normal expression to include in a greeting? Do you know what fucking is? Do you know what shit is? So....do you realize what "fucking shit" means?

Yet people really talk like that. And to those of us who don't...it sounds absolutely twisted and bizarre. Just as twisted and bizarre as the raping-anal fixation-ruptured scrotum sentence above.

don't respond to Lord Bucket. He is a troll, he wants a reaction, move on with your lives and ignore him.

Actually, I expected no response to begin with. This is a venting thread, isn't it?

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: November 29, 2013, 12:02:31 am »

I agree with Lord Slowpoke on this matter. Lord Bucket is far too involved with this Forum in producing content that there's no way he could be a troll, and I hold his beliefs as genuine.

Upon reflection, I think I was in too 'hot' of a mood in my last post. I nearly included a direct insult at the end of my post, until I caught myself in a sudden burst of consciousness and edited it out. I realized even at that point I should never stoop to that level in any situation. I'm still upset about LB calling my family 'disease'd, but maybe he was simply used the wrong syntax in making a point and he meant something entirely different. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

I'm off for a good night's rest, and will come back here in a refreshed attitude tommorow.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7600 on: November 29, 2013, 12:03:40 am »

I decline to respond.
He's fucking with us.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7601 on: November 29, 2013, 12:12:44 am »

OK, I have very little idea what to say about LB's comments on this whole matter.

I generally say 'crap' and 'shit' and things because I tend to equate them as 'bad', as opposed to 'A pile of faecal matter'

For example: 'I thought X was crap' means 'I thought X was bad', as opposed to 'I thought X was faecal matter'

FAKEDIT: "Yo dog. Fuckin' shit be real man.", I believe, means 'Hi, man! Everything seems to be alright!'

What you're presently complaining about there would be like complaining about the French speaking French, as opposed to English.

My strongest day-to-day swear is "crap". On the internet, I get to be more colorful.

Colorful language is a common euphemism for swearing, by the way.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: November 29, 2013, 12:15:11 am »

I can and do curse a blue streak. In multiple languages, even. (which, it should be noted, many MANY languages have curses/swears which revolve around sex and defecation. It's human nature.)

Don't like it? Piss off, bitch. (Note: no actual urination or female dogs need be involved in your action.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: November 29, 2013, 12:18:23 am »

I tend to drop a cluster swear bomb when a lot of bad things happen in a short space of time. Generally, this is confined to games, and devolves from various words to me repeating 'shit shit shit shitshitshitSHITSHITSHIT!' over and over again.

For that I just use "dang".

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: November 29, 2013, 12:19:31 am »

When it comes to scatological language in every day usage I always think of the Catalan pre-meal saying.

menja bé, caga fort i no tinguis por a la mort! (Eat well, shit a good deal and don't be afraid of death!)

But in that expression, if I understand it...the use of "shit" is literal. I'm not objecting to the use of an arbitrary list of words that "some may deem offensive." I'm saying that I personally perceive it as fairly stupid to make a significant habit of using words that don't mean anything.

Remember, my original example focused far more on meaningless filler than the swearing: "yo dog, yeah man you know right?"

We've sort of shifted emphasis to the swearing part. As to the swearing...I get metaphors I get colorful language. I really do. I understand how saying "the beautiful, fluffy clouds reflected the light from the glimmering sunset into my eyes like fountain pouring water into the throat of a parched and dying man." Yes, there are a lot of flowery words there. Sure, it would be more succinct to say "The clouds are pretty."

But when people are using words that literally mean fecal excretions to "beautify" their language...yeah, I don't get that.

Hey, even if you're angry, and swearing to vent...I even understand that. But there are some people who swear as much as they breathe. There's no such thing as a wrench, it's either a fucking wrench or a god damned fucking wrench.

And to those people...yeah, that sounds completely stupid to me. But again, really it was the meaningless filler I was complaining bout. Swearing is just a subset of the filler. "God damned fucking wrench" is 75% filler. Only one of those words contributes useful meaning to the sentence and I don't really buy the explanation that it's an attempt to "beautify" language or make it "more colorful."

I'm still upset about LB calling my family 'disease'd, but maybe he was simply used the wrong syntax in making a point and he meant something entirely different.

I didn't intend to direct that at you personally. I apologize if it came across as a personal attack and I have edited that post to be more neutral in character.

Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 510