Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 982656 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #7620 on: November 29, 2013, 01:09:42 am »

If we don't defend profanity on an obscure internet forum, who will?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7621 on: November 29, 2013, 01:10:53 am »

It's a subtext thing. Empathic ability and all that.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: November 29, 2013, 01:12:06 am »

It's an opinion..which is somehow disregarding the factor of common sense in play. I see egotism. Everyone has a point, but these points are being swung around to cut and tear rather than make a point of discussion.

...But no, I don't know how important this is! D:

PPE: *Points to general forum rules*
*Points at common sense*

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: November 29, 2013, 01:16:27 am »

The fact is that 'fuck' has been used in a negative fashion as opposed to your 'example' of using "SMURF"! It's the meanings we give and how it was used.
Tiruin just dropped the F-bomb. That's the cue that it's over.
It's an opinion..which is somehow disregarding the factor of common sense in play. I see egotism.
...But no, I don't know how important this is! D:
PPE: *Points to general forum rules*
*Points at common sense*

Man, all I did was get offended and angry and then I had the need to release it somehow.

I should have been asleep already.

You people.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: November 29, 2013, 01:24:43 am »

smurfy snip

This entire post is, as far as I can tell, trying to argue that the word 'fuck' has no meaning other than 'have sex with', by listing a whole bunch of meanings other than 'have sex with' that are attributed to 'fuck'.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: November 29, 2013, 01:37:59 am »

I do love when the Stupid Things thread provides its own material. Saves the hassle of looking for it elsewhere.

On one hand I can agree with you, and on the other, you're vaguely insulting anyone (or everyone) that's been involved in the past few pages. So you're a meanie. Blah.

Spoiler: Plot Twist (click to show/hide)
As you can tell, my plan has utterly failed I and I must now commit Internet sepukku in penance.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: November 29, 2013, 01:39:10 am »

I do love when the Stupid Things thread provides its own material. Saves the hassle of looking for it elsewhere.

On one hand I can agree with you, and on the other, you're vaguely insulting anyone (or everyone) that's been involved in the past few pages. So you're a meanie. Blah.

Spoiler: Plot Twist (click to show/hide)
As you can tell, my plan has utterly failed I and I must now commit Internet sepukku in penance.

rip in pieces obama ;_;7

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: November 29, 2013, 01:39:40 am »

The word does have meanings. Heck, I could even link you to a dictionary. I'm not going to because that's the kind of wise-ass thing I'm trying to get over, but I could. Instead, I'm going to try to define them as I see them.

"Fuck you": I wish for you to be fucked (see below meaning).

"I'm fucked": I am in a situation that will inevitably end extremely badly for me.

"What the fuck is going on": This situation is confusing me to an extreme level.

I think you missed some context here. The post you're replying to was a response to this post from Blargityblarg in which he apparently accused me of "denying" swear words as homonyms.

So if you're going to defend his point...you need to tell me what specificlly the word 'fuck' means in each those sentences. Not what the sentences mean. Yes, you can construct complete sentences that have similar meaning as the example sentences, but that doesn't establish meaning for the word fuck in those sentences.

This entire post is, as far as I can tell, trying to argue that the word 'fuck' has no meaning other than 'have sex with', by listing a whole bunch of meanings other than 'have sex with' that are attributed to 'fuck'.

No, it was trying to demonstrate that your accusation here that I'm, as you phrased it: "denying that words can have more than one meaning" is not accurate.

The word "bow" both means a type of ribbon, as well as a device for launching arrows. The word has multiple meanings. "Fuck" as it is used is not simply a homonym. There's no clear meaning in the way it's used. It's simply a filler/emphatic, much like smurf. If I were to ask you for a concise definition for this alleged "alternate meaning" for the word fuck, you wouldn't be able to do it. The best you'd be able to do is provide a (very long) list is examples of it being used in sentences that had nothing to do with sex.

"Fuck! I fucking got fucked on every fucking attempt. This is totally fucking fucked."

"Smurf! I smurfing got smurfed on every smurfing attempt. This is totally smurfing smurfed."

These aren't homonyms. Yes, you can translate those sentences into real english without the swearing and without the smurfing, but the word 'smurf' as it's being used here doesn't really mean anything, and neither does fuck.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: November 29, 2013, 01:42:12 am »

I don't think anybody actually says 'this totally fucking fucked'. Maybe 'this totally fucking sucked', but not 'fucked' as in the situation itself fucked.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: November 29, 2013, 01:43:43 am »

I don't think anybody actually says 'this totally fucking fucked'. Maybe 'this totally fucking sucked', but not 'fucked' as in the situation itself fucked.
You missed an is in there. "This is totally fucking fucked" makes a bit mores sense.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: November 29, 2013, 01:44:10 am »

So if you're going to defend his point...you need to tell me what specificlly the word 'fuck' means in each those sentences. Not what the sentences mean. Yes, you can construct complete sentences that have similar meaning as the example sentences, but that doesn't establish meaning for the word fuck in those sentences.
That is a pretty unreasonable thing to demand of a context based language such as English. There are many times when we use more mundane words in a similar fashion to achieve pretty much the a similar effect.

For example, what was the point of putting 'pretty much' into the above sentence? Not much at all, really. But it does help convey tone, and that is important.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: November 29, 2013, 01:44:44 am »

The word does have meanings. Heck, I could even link you to a dictionary. I'm not going to because that's the kind of wise-ass thing I'm trying to get over, but I could. Instead, I'm going to try to define them as I see them.

"Fuck you": I wish for you to be fucked (see below meaning).

"I'm fucked": I am in a situation that will inevitably end extremely badly for me.

"What the fuck is going on": This situation is confusing me to an extreme level.

I think you missed some context here. The post you're replying to was a response to this post from Blargityblarg in which he apparently accused me of "denying" swear words as homonyms.

"Fuck" in the first sentence is a verb meaning "to curse; to have one fall under unfortunate circumstance".

"Fuck" in the second sentence is the exact same verb, except in the past participial form.

"The fuck" in the third sentence adds degree. There is no prefix or suffix that does this in English and most words that do so are adverbs. You are essentially saying that "very" is also filler; I'll agree that, in formal writing, it is. In informal settings, it's not. It's very useful. Saying that it "has no meaning" is entirely wrong.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:46:40 am by Putnam »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: November 29, 2013, 01:49:02 am »

I didn't want to get into this, but I'd like to remind everyone that body language and verbal tone make of more of how we communicate than the words we actually use.

In the instances of the word fuck, they do not have any one meaning. Fuck has evolved in such a way that now it is simply used to imply great exaggeration. It's a simple modifier, like plenty of other words within the dictionary.

What's going on, what the hell, and what the fuck are all functionally the same, yet each can be considered incrementally worse then their prior. In instances such as these, it's the tone and the usage of words, and not the words themselves, that are meant to convey the meaning of the sentence.

Seriously, the argument has dragged on long enough, can we leave it now?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: November 29, 2013, 01:51:41 am »

Quite honestly we can chalk all this up to English being weird. Well, languages in general, I suppose. We could communicate perfectly well with many fewer words. "Is Lordbucket a troll? In my opinion, no." can be condensed to: Lordbucket troll? My opinion no." Without losing any important information. Communication! However, that's not what people are used to, so it doesn't always work very well. So, even if the additional "Fuck"'s could be removed without losing any communication, it doesn't really matter, since most of the words could be removed from a given sentence without removing any level of communication.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: November 29, 2013, 01:52:28 am »

I would like to mention (since I seem to have forgotten my sepukku sword at home) that this is the probably the most usage I have ever seen of the word "fuck" in a semi-serious discussion.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510