Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About \raw\ files  (Read 669 times)

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About \raw\ files
« on: August 18, 2006, 06:40:00 am »

I glanced at them quickly. I think I could decode enough of it to create a non-carnivorous fox that was called "rabbit", or other similar things, but actually doing new creatures that had all the right bodyparts and nothing extra? Probably not.

Before I try, I'd like to know when the creatures appear. If I change a \raw\ file, do I have to generate a new world to see the changes? Do I have to generate new animal population to an area by e.g. creating a new fortress? Does it allow for the new animals to appear into old forts just as any other animals on the lists? If I change an existing animal (like Fox) and one already appears, does that cause an error?

Also, has anyone seen bears (Grizzly bears or Black bears) anywhere? It seems they should appear on temperate woods about as often as as the other rare animals, but I haven't seen any. Temperate lands are the ones that have deer and fox, with few wolfpacks, cougar and raccoons thrown in every now and then. Or do they just disappear for winter before I have noticed them?

The game is still awesome-awesome. Ah, the wonders of a Legendary Carpenter. Pity I'm running out of trees. A skilled jeweler is also a great boon. An example:
<<Felsite>>     1710¤, 100[
This is a Felsite mechanisms. It is encrusted with well-crafted Aquamarine and Rock crystal and encircled with bands of finely-crafted Emerald. On the item are images of flies in Aventurine by Ulib Gikenmebzuth.

Janne )`*

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: About \raw\ files
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 10:40:00 am »

Concerning when something would appear, all animals are generated along with the world (based on data about where they appear). So if you were to delete a creature's header in the raw files, the world might not run at all or crash at some point where that animal is supposed to be. You can place animals in your old world by replacing all the data of some creature besides the header. Then the new animal should appear where the old creature type did.

So if you want a new creature, you'll have to either replace one's data or generate a new world after adding one in some raw file (just remember to make some entries about population and where they appear).

Note: This is based on my experiences with editing and could be wrong. :\

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: About \raw\ files
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 04:42:00 pm »

That's all correct.  I haven't yet thought about how to import new creatures into old worlds -- temperate forests do not have all of the available creatures, just some of them, at random, for example.  It would have to randomly select where to put the new creature, and so on.  Not a monumental task, but it drifted off high priority.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!