Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Glorious Unicorn: OOC Thread  (Read 5662 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Glorious Unicorn: OOC Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 05:52:21 pm »

I think I'd rather prevent truly I AIs.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 05:52:50 pm »

Can you guys set up a General Discussion on Ethics of AI or something? This is just irrelevant clutter in regards to the game.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 06:00:54 pm »

This is acceptable.

Though I wouldn't say make it illegal to make them, just don't make anything beyond VIs, since there's very little reason to really need it.

Also, if you just treat them like sentient beings then they're rather unlikely to WANT to kill you. so many more interesting things to do than genocide.

:/ Not allowing them to be created is like not allowing babies because they MIGHT end up as Hitler.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 06:02:41 pm »

GUYS. STAPHT IT.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 06:03:48 pm »

GUYS. STAPHT IT.

Why, it's not like there's a ton of OOC discussion we're interrupting :/

But whatever.

Demons Run doesn't have any reason to kill you guys, as she could kill more people by chilling with you and killing things that try to fuck with you.
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 06:04:15 pm »

NEVER! It's too much fun.

I'm more against creating AIs because, to adjust your metaphor, they might turn all of us into Hitler. AIs are a moral can of worms.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 06:05:36 pm »

NEVER! It's too much fun.

I'm more against creating AIs because, to adjust your metaphor, they might turn all of us into Hitler. AIs are a moral can of worms.

:/ Much as I think that humans are bastards and agree that might happen, I'd prefer they be created, but be treated as full citizens in every way possible, both in their lawful obligations and their rights.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 06:20:28 pm »

That's unlikely to happen. Especially because someone has to want to create them. AIs aren't that much better than humans.
Sig

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 06:35:40 pm »

GUYS. STAPHT IT.

It's still irrelevant BS. -v-

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 07:41:01 am »

This is acceptable.

Though I wouldn't say make it illegal to make them, just don't make anything beyond VIs, since there's very little reason to really need it.

Also, if you just treat them like sentient beings then they're rather unlikely to WANT to kill you. so many more interesting things to do than genocide.

:/ Not allowing them to be created is like not allowing babies because they MIGHT end up as Hitler.

I agree with Ragnarok on the the AI things.
Best way to avoid Terminator is to think of AIs as people, instead of "that thing I can use to RULE THE WORLD" which is pretty much what the creators thought in those movies.

GUYS. STAPHT IT.

It's still irrelevant BS. -v-

Chill out man, like 90% of this RTD has been irrelevant BS, and its hilarious :P

Oh and one of the best things I found on the whole AI thing and the possible implications of how it would be used was a very well thought out webcomic by the name of Freefall. Basically in that universe AIs (including a genetically engineered wolf-people as well as the normal robot versions) are pretty much second class citizens at best.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:45:00 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 08:15:44 am »

Best way to avoid Terminator is to think of AIs as people, instead of "that thing I can use to RULE THE WORLD" which is pretty much what the creators thought in those movies.
To be fair, Skynet's general plan was horrible. It wasn't just their choice of goals.
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 08:20:21 am »

To be fair, Skynet's general plan was horrible. It wasn't just their choice of goals.

Actually the thing with Skynet is it HAD no real choice of goals. I mean it was literally trained FROM BIRTH to kill people.
Skynet is the AI equivalent of what "Dwarf Childcare" would do to a person. And frankly most movie AIs aren't any better.

Its the Nature vs. Nurture thing. AIs aren't naturally killbots, our media just generally puts them in scenarios where ANYONE would go crazy.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 08:32:15 am »

I didn't mean Skynet the AI, I meant Skynet the guys who made Skynet.
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 08:52:10 am »

Oh. Well yeah those guys were jerks.
Retarded jerks.

Actually no. That's offensive to retarded people to be compared to the people in those movies.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 2 [3]