Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 67

Author Topic: Curiosity Mission: Shutting Down 2016  (Read 131375 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:01:57 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity Mission: N165 Slightly Singed By Curiosity Lazer
« Reply #376 on: August 21, 2012, 03:37:07 am »

The little rock that could.  :D

And apparently has a name now...Coronation (presumably from the crown-like shape?)
From being the first thing lasered on Mars. :P

You know, aside from the Alien Brain.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 21, 2012, 04:31:54 am »

I hope they keep track of that rock, and that in 60 years I'll be able to take my great grand-kids to a museum and tell them "See, that N165. Use to have the cutest twitter account!".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 21, 2012, 07:07:14 am »

NASA announce new Mars mission for 2016.
It's not a rover; it's a drill that will go down 5 meters and help us figure out what happens in the core of our neighboring terrestrial planet.
A little bitter-sweet though;
We should all keep in mind that along with the selection of this mission, NASA had to choose not to do two other fantastic missions, one to hop from place to place around a comet, and another that would have gone to Titan and float a boat on its liquid natural gas ocean. How cool would these have been?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 21, 2012, 07:33:43 am »

And if NASA had a larger budget, they could do all of those  :'(

I think the States could increase NASAs budget like 5 times if they, say, taxed churches and gave that money to NASA.[citation needed]

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 21, 2012, 07:36:24 am »

And if NASA had a larger budget, they could do all of those  :'(

I think the States could increase NASAs budget like 5 times if they, say, taxed churches and gave that money to NASA.[citation needed]
They could only just about double it. However, I think they should just double the budget. Nasa has an estimated Return investement of at least 2 to one

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 21, 2012, 07:47:43 am »

Man, this nuclear SUV also got a X-Ray/Neutron gun. Did NASA replace its design guidelines with a single sheet of paper sporting "RULE OF COOL" in colourful letters?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 21, 2012, 08:20:28 am »

Even better: The neutron gun was built by the Russians.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 21, 2012, 09:48:56 am »

NASA announce new Mars mission for 2016.
It's not a rover; it's a drill that will go down 5 meters and help us figure out what happens in the core of our neighboring terrestrial planet.
A little bitter-sweet though;
We should all keep in mind that along with the selection of this mission, NASA had to choose not to do two other fantastic missions, one to hop from place to place around a comet, and another that would have gone to Titan and float a boat on its liquid natural gas ocean. How cool would these have been?
D:

I totally would have gone with the Titan boat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_Mare_Explorer

I mean, come on...how much are you really going to be able to tell about the Martian core based on a 5m hole in the ground?
Versus floating a nuclear-powered, first-ever space boat on an alien sea of hydrocarbons, looking for methane-based life? No contest.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 21, 2012, 11:39:03 am »

I'm kinda sad thet didn't just planned to give the boat tanks of oxygen and burn that methane for energy.

As for the 5-m hole, the aim is to do seismologic studies to know if Mars got a molten core, and if yes why it doesn't have plate tectonics.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 21, 2012, 12:29:33 pm »

Presumably the mantel could be cooled but the core still molten.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 21, 2012, 12:41:55 pm »

Yeah, it's less about the hole itself and more about sending/recieving sounds through the head of the drill to figure out what is in the surrounding rock, and even deeper.

As for the choice, Titan would take a long time, as might the comet idea, depending on which comet they chose. Right now they have a lot of support for Mars, via Curiosity. Also, 2016 is a relatively short time frame as far as design to realization goes in space missions. (Ignoring the 50-60s space race.)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 21, 2012, 12:52:27 pm »

I get the aim of it, I just think you'd need to go significantly deeper than 5m. Like 500m.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 21, 2012, 12:56:52 pm »

I don't think you could remote drill that, and I really don't think nuking Mars to make a hole will go over well with anyone.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 21, 2012, 12:58:20 pm »

I don't think you could remote drill that, and I really don't think nuking Mars to make a hole will go over well with anyone.
Nonsense. Dig deeper! What could possibly go wrong? I'm sure there's not a Space Balrog locked in the core....

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 67