Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 67

Author Topic: Curiosity Mission: Shutting Down 2016  (Read 131036 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity Mission: N165 Slightly Singed By Curiosity Lazer
« Reply #390 on: August 21, 2012, 02:02:01 pm »

I don't think you could remote drill that, and I really don't think nuking Mars to make a hole will go over well with anyone.
Nonsense. Dig deeper! What could possibly go wrong? I'm sure there's not a Space Balrog locked in the core....
I hope not. These guys hate getting woken up during hibernation.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 23, 2012, 06:49:42 am »

Apparently some of Curiosities wind sensors got damaged. Well, not everything can go right .

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 23, 2012, 12:59:43 pm »

Gentlemen....the rover. It roves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

36 million miles and $2.5 billion to get there, and they're doing donuts in the sand. I heartily approve.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity Mission: Roaving Roavers Ravage Red Rock Recklessly
« Reply #393 on: August 23, 2012, 01:19:16 pm »

I think they were just trying to scare the rock.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Curiosity Mission: Roaving Roaver Rotationally Ravages Red Rock Recklessly
« Reply #394 on: August 23, 2012, 01:38:48 pm »

It's even more beautiful than I imagined.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 23, 2012, 01:44:32 pm »

One of the wheels is coming right toward me! :( I feel so small and helpless. :(
I don't know if these twitters are cute or creepy.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 23, 2012, 01:50:51 pm »

My daughter has been somewhat unimpressed by all this. Her only question is "Can we go there next summer?" Since the answer is no, she's all "Whatever....gonna go watch cartoons."

It's difficult to convey to a 5-year old that this is a Big DealTM because we're only 55 years removed from getting anything into space to begin with. To her, that's 11 lifetimes.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 23, 2012, 03:33:47 pm »

My daughter has been somewhat unimpressed by all this. Her only question is "Can we go there next summer?" Since the answer is no, she's all "Whatever....gonna go watch cartoons."

It's difficult to convey to a 5-year old that this is a Big DealTM because we're only 55 years removed from getting anything into space to begin with. To her, that's 11 lifetimes.
I hear ya, bro. I'm trying not to be depressed over it, but man.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 23, 2012, 03:35:15 pm »

To be fair, and I'm not saying it's not a big thing, but we've been sending these robots to other rocks for a good long while now as well. Yeah, they've gotten better(We've put wheels on them now!), and it is nice to have better and better pictures of these places, but at some point you want to stop mapping out the trip and you just want to go.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 23, 2012, 03:54:58 pm »

If it weren't for my daughter, I'd happily volunteer to go to Mars and never come back. Provided A) They continually send me some form or another of food [Fire me a shipping container of frozen pizzas, pop tarts,  every now and again and I'll be good for a long, long while.] and B) I have basic necessities (solar panels, stuff to cook with, an internet connection, etc.)

That'd be pretty awesome, methinks.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 23, 2012, 03:56:31 pm »

Hope you don't mind a really horrible latency on that internet connection. By the time bay12's forums load, 8 more posts will have been made.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 23, 2012, 04:05:00 pm »

Hope you don't mind a really horrible latency on that internet connection. By the time bay12's forums load, 18 more posts will have been made.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 23, 2012, 05:44:50 pm »

Hope you don't mind a really horrible latency on that internet connection. By the time bay12's happy thread loads, 38 more posts will have been made.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 23, 2012, 05:47:44 pm »

No, I don't mind. Besides, Mars needs Ninjas.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 23, 2012, 06:13:04 pm »

Those periods of no internet is when I would sleep. Or...you know, actually do work.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 67