Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67

Author Topic: Curiosity Mission: Shutting Down 2016  (Read 131438 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity Mission: Back On Track, I Guess.
« Reply #960 on: December 31, 2013, 08:46:12 pm »

Curiosity and Cassini will be shut down due to budget cuts by 2015-2016
Why does NASA get all the budget cuts.
Easy target. Republicans block any reduction of the military or tax rises, paranoia blocks any cut to Homeland security, Democrats block any reduction of social security.
So basically its just congress continiung its current stupid trend. That works.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity Mission: Shutting Down 2016
« Reply #961 on: December 31, 2013, 10:20:31 pm »

The issue with space is that it still just isn't feasible.
Back in the age of exploration people would happily go years without seeing a ship because they could trust that whoever was on it would go to some far-off land, trade some supplies for exotics, bring the exotics back and be completely reimbursed.

If we had a system for completely stripping asteroids of platinum and bringing it back, that would make NASA a lot more popular.
Even better if we had a new super-element somewhere out there.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 31, 2013, 10:24:27 pm »

And the issue with that argument is that it never will be feasible until people are willing to take a short-term loss on it.

Not to mention all the stuff NASA actually does make in the process of the whole space thing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 31, 2013, 10:28:19 pm »

And the issue with that argument is that it never will be feasible until people are willing to take a short-term loss on it.

Not to mention all the stuff NASA actually does make in the process of the whole space thing.
This. I'm sure way back in the wind-and-canvass era there were plenty of people who thought exploring the ocean was a pointless waste of time and resources, and look how well that turned out!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 31, 2013, 10:36:24 pm »

This. I'm sure way back in the wind-and-canvass era there were plenty of people who thought exploring the ocean was a pointless waste of time and resources, and look how well that turned out!
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and state that some of my ancestors probably don't think it turned out too well.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 31, 2013, 10:37:38 pm »

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and state that some of my ancestors probably don't think it turned out too well.
I meant for the people sending the ships out. Besides, so far as we know we won't have to worry about such things with asteroid mining.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 31, 2013, 10:39:29 pm »

I meant for the people sending the ships out. Besides, so far as we know we won't have to worry about such things with asteroid mining.
Given people being people, we should always assume the worst.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 31, 2013, 10:46:58 pm »

Pardon my ignorance, but for a project that largely revolves around driving a remote rover around, analyzing samples, and interpreting the results, exactly where is the expense that they need to cut the project? I get that it takes a staff of highly trained, intelligent people to man, maneuver, and interpret Curiosity's results, and that means healthy wages and equipment upkeep, but really, where is the big expense?

I hate this. What's the point in dumping all of our money into security and support for the baby boomers when there's nothing left in our "secure," "healthy" state? It's like building a keep and dying slowly inside, with only cold stone walls, stands of armor, and a tiny, tinkly fire to find meaning in. I get that each needs funding, but does each need the whole budget?
That's not ignorance, you've hit the nail on the head.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 01, 2014, 07:04:56 am »

There's no big expense. Curiosity costs 50 million USD per year in upkeep. That pays for ground station maintenance, personnel, and back-up rovers (When the interplanetary rover gets stuck, you kind-off want to try things out on Earth first to see it they'll work).

That very same argument also accounts for all fundamental science, and the majority of most human inventions. Truly, it has more holes in it than Swiss Cheese. You don't need asteroid mining for space to become profitable, or anything else like that. ((Additionally, it is feasible. I mean Curiosity did land on Mars, after all.))

Point is, the basic economic return of Space investments  lies somewhere between 2-5$ per dollar.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 01, 2014, 11:46:36 am »

Trouble is, the costs go up a hundredfold if we want to do anything more complex. God help your pocketbook if you want to send people to some other celestial body. I'm not saying we shouldn't be putting that money in, or that America doesn't spend too much on the military, but most of the people who have the capital to fund a mission to space are generally unwilling to do so.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 01, 2014, 11:47:34 am »

Yeah, well, we've collectively got it into our heads that the correct solution is the most "intuitive". Want to be safe? Pay a bunch of guys to kill people you feel threatened by. Want to be rich? Lower the biggest bill you pay at once in the year (taxes). Want to reduce government spending so you can do this? Science is just an exercise in egotism, after all.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 01, 2014, 11:55:00 am »

America is basically the biggest collective joke in the universe.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 01, 2014, 12:00:54 pm »

Mind you, when I said "we", I meant "most people", not just Americans. Ambition helps temper the problem a lot, but that always loses steam once you've grown up being told you live in the best country in the world, which is why America's such a good exemplar of this. Still, it'll happen to just about any dominant culture, eventually. What's left to achieve when you're on top? All your efforts become centered on maintaining the status quo, which inevitably fails because that's not how you got the status quo to happen in the first place.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 01, 2014, 12:21:50 pm »

Trouble is, the costs go up a hundredfold if we want to do anything more complex. God help your pocketbook if you want to send people to some other celestial body. I'm not saying we shouldn't be putting that money in, or that America doesn't spend too much on the military, but most of the people who have the capital to fund a mission to space are generally unwilling to do so.
Hundred-fold is a gross exaggeration. Merely doubling the budget would suffice.

Besides, sending people to other places, while interesting, is not the primary goal of any space organization. Robots can be build at the fraction of the cost, and go farther. Honestly, I don't want a ticket to Mars, but currently the situation is becoming silly.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 01, 2014, 12:54:22 pm »

You also may remember that NASA allowed everyone on the internet the opportunity to have their name stored on the MSL's computer. EDIT: My name, and the names of thousands of others, are now on Mars!
Buried and forgotten on the Mars, it looks like.

Curiosity killed the cat, after all.

This is stupid. Now I feel sad.

._.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67