Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 67

Author Topic: Curiosity Mission: Shutting Down 2016  (Read 129920 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity Mission: TOUCHDOWN, SCREW MARTIAN ATMO, PARTY TIME LAW DECLARED
« Reply #255 on: August 06, 2012, 02:18:50 am »

While you might want to support your favorite band space program by buying their albums taxes, keep in mind that the record company federal government takes most of the profit! If you really want to pay your favorite band space program, attend their concerts and buy their T-shirts!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 06, 2012, 02:24:08 am »

I've seen some suggestions thrown around that Curiosity could theoretically go find Spirit, free it from the rock it is stuck on, and clear its solar panels of dust. Now there's an idea...

Neat as this sounds, it won't happen. For one thing poor Spirit is probably so frozen that she's beyond saving at this point, and Curiosity didn't really land that close to Spirit. Keep in mind the plan is for Curiosity to spend at least two years just driving around in that red dot.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 06, 2012, 02:52:58 am »

Neat as this sounds, it won't happen. For one thing poor Spirit is probably so frozen that she's beyond saving at this point, and Curiosity didn't really land that close to Spirit. Keep in mind the plan is for Curiosity to spend at least two years just driving around in that red dot.
The nuclear fuel on Curiosity will last 15 years, and they aren't that far apart. Spirit and Curiosity are closer together than any other man-made objects on Mars.

Spirit was designed to survive the Martian winter almost completely shut down, so it could still be viable, especially considering how far past mission it lasted.

I think it's at least worth a shot.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 06, 2012, 03:42:15 am »

Problem is, you're spending 2 years** of a more advanced rover to go get a less advanced and heavily damaged* rover. Add to that that Spirit was accidentally dropped in a less interesting area and that Curiosity was not designed to try and repair other robots.

*It lost 2 wheels and had problems with a third before it got itself stuck. Add to that frost damage to electronics.
**Optimistical guess. Might be longer.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 06, 2012, 03:43:03 am »

So, looks like they only managed to get the rear camera picture this pass-over. Eagerly awaiting the press conference at 9am PST!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #260 on: August 06, 2012, 03:50:37 am »

MARTIAN PARTAY TIME

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 06, 2012, 03:56:31 am »

I love you science. I love you so much. I am going to spend my whole goddamn life courting you if this is what I get out of it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 06, 2012, 07:41:30 am »

I think my reaction this morning to hearing the news on the radio could best be summed up as:
"HOLY FUCKING SHIT IT ACTUALLY WORKED??!?!??"   :o :D :D :D

EDIT: First thing Curiosity sent back a picture of was its own shadow. Does this mean six more months of Martian winter?  :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:39:11 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 06, 2012, 09:01:56 am »

XKCD continues to be relevent.

EDIT: Remember how the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter was directly over head during landing? It snapped a pretty good picture of the lander with it's parachute open.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm watching the update press conference now. The rover landed on a pretty level surface and doesn't appear to be damaged. They'll spend the next few days activating and checking the antenna and mastcam. The first color photo should arrive in two days.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:36:22 am by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 06, 2012, 11:40:05 am »

Damn, that is a sweet pic.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 06, 2012, 12:54:12 pm »

Regarding Curiosity and Spirit...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #266 on: August 06, 2012, 01:18:10 pm »

Theoretically there is enough time to perform a rover rescue mission.

It would be a secondary objective, but still, who knows.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 06, 2012, 01:53:54 pm »

Theoretically there is enough time to perform a rover rescue mission.

It would be a secondary objective, but still, who knows.
There might be enough time, but the question is wherether there's enough rover left.  There ain't much reasons to go and pick up that rover. The chances of it being functional are low, and even if we can get it working it won't be usefull anymore. Though it would be interesting to see how Mars affected the rover.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 06, 2012, 02:16:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure NASA isn't going to allow the rovers to use the power of friendship to rescue each other from harrowing doom and then traverse the barren landscape together looking for the last remnants of civilization while avoiding the ravenous indigenous population, all while dealing with their emotional prospects and spirit's mysterious dark past.

I think I just mashed half of the TVtropes site together making up that joke.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 06, 2012, 02:20:14 pm »

I'm pretty sure NASA isn't going to allow the rovers to use the power of friendship to rescue each other from harrowing doom and then traverse the barren landscape together looking for the last remnants of civilization while avoiding the ravenous indigenous population, all while dealing with their emotional prospects and spirit's mysterious dark past.
Fanfic time. NOW!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 67