Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Bethesda + Stalker = ?  (Read 42640 times)

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bethesda + Stalker = ?
« on: August 01, 2012, 06:03:03 am »

It's only a rumour at present but .....

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/31/bethesda-have-rights-to-stalker-claims-galyonkin/

If it does turn out to be true then i'm not sure how to feel about it.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bethesda + Stalker = ?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:29:08 am »

They could do it.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:45:00 am »

Ok... im scared... why do i have bad vibes?....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 06:52:52 am »

Stalker had that very particular eastern/slavic soul that I hardly think Bethesda can emulate. I also don't see how it would make sense for them to put aside their fallout IP by releasing a new stalker game.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:00:16 am »

Gonna be consolized like Skyrim.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 07:02:21 am »

Dear Bethesda,

Please don't make a STALKER game, please. Make another Elder Scrolls, people like you for that! Sure, people liked Fallout 3, even me, but... Really, was it what we wanted?

STALKER cannot fit into your style of developing that I oppose but can see works for you. The game relies on a combination of greed, fear and terror. I haven't felt too scared to move in any dungeon in Oblivion or Fallout 3, but in The Dark Valley I couldn't move an inch after encountering the nastier things in there. This is due to the game designers who gave you the urge to move (Nice loot, a solving of the mystery), the fear (Dark corridors, silence, was that the growling of a monster or the wind?) and the terror (Oh God no, bloodsucker!), which creates an incredibly immersive feeling and makes you feel like a scared Stalker in an abandoned lab filled with demons who will tear him in two if he makes a wrong move.

Another thing is that they create a nice system and engine. The color is suitably washed out, the combat visceral and quick, the deaths anger-inducing and unfair. This really, really helped the atmosphere of the game: you were more likely to bleed out from your gunshots then you were to die from a direct shot. A nice blend of shooter and RPG. Do you really think you can make an engine from scratch that can work with that, or do you think the Gamebryo engine can stand up to the heights of A-Life and those fucking monolith gunfights?

I bid you adieu, Bethesda. May we only meet with a new Elder Scrolls.

P.S Apparently it's hip hating Bethesda and that means I can't complain about it, so this isn't a complaint, it's a letter.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 07:10:27 am »

They could be buying it for a reason other then making a game with it. They could resell it, or just keep a possible competitor with Fallout out of the market (or so I heard.).

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 07:17:04 am »

Yeah, I hope so. Again, I'm not confident that they can do this.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 07:38:52 am »

To be honost there are worse companies that could have bought it. But if Bethesda try to make their own Stalker game... It just wouldn't feel right. As Drakale said, the game has a unique feel to it that Bethesda would not be able to emulate. They could make something playable, but it would end up feeling empty.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 07:39:15 am »

Shame. As much as I want a new Stalker (oh god, I want a new Stalker game so badly), I don't want it made by Bethesda. I've seen them trying to do horror sections in Fallout and the Elder Scrolls games, but they just... can't.

When Bethesda keep me still, it's because I'm scared of my character dying.
When GSC keep me still, it's because I'm scared.

As everyone here has said, it's the atmosphere that takes Stalker up a notch. I'm not sure whether a console/PC version would necessarily be as bad as everyone makes out, but if Bethesda don't bring in at least a few of the ex-GSC devs to get the tone right, then Stalker is a dead property.

On the other hand, if they're just buying it to keep it out of the market, I'm in two minds. It'll be nice to have the Stalker series end with grace intact, instead of milking it for all it's worth (Blizzard, i'm looking at you), but we'll never get another one, and that makes me sad.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 08:03:43 am »

Yeah.  Fallout 3 was fun for a while but it felt soulless.  I was never immersed, I was always playing a very okay game.  I don't want that for STALKER.

Shoes...

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 08:07:13 am »

Oh gods please no.

m0nster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 08:08:02 am »

If the news is true it doesn't mean that Bethesda Game Studios will develop the game.
ZeniMax Media is the parent of severals other video game developers besides Bethesda Game Studios that could work on it: Vir2L Studios, Mud Duck Productions, ZeniMax Online Studios, id Software, Arkane Studios, Tango Gameworks and MachineGames.
Or it will be only published by Bethesda Softworks and developed by a outside studio like Obsidian Entertainment.

But I'm pretty sure either way we won't (if at all) get a game capturing the whole S.T.A.L.K.E.R. feeling.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 08:26:05 am »

Eh, i'm all for it. Contrary to popular belief I didn't actually think they ruined Fallout (considering the game was dead anyway) and the Elder Scrolls (which is still pretty entertaining if not to my particular tastes) so i'll be giving it a playthrough if they do make it.

If not, hell, I have the old stalker games.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 08:30:59 am »

I never liked Stalker anyway. Seemed like half the game was running away from bears, and the other half was running into magical air fairies.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5