Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Bethesda + Stalker = ?  (Read 42631 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bethesda + Stalker = ?
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2012, 10:01:18 pm »

I'd genuinely like to see Stalker done with Bethesda's Fallout engine, it's much better suited to doing a free roaming FPS/RPG than the engine GSC was using. But I am worried about how this will turn out, maybe this will be the best Stalker game yet, maybe it will be a big letdown, maybe it will just be something mediocre.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2012, 10:05:56 pm »

I'd like to see it done on Beth's engine purely for modding. It would be pretty sweet, I can see aspiring game designers taking the faction wars from clear sky and making it work, which would be awesome. I loved those. Shame they never worked.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2012, 10:16:20 pm »

Everyone please stop hating on Bethesda, it's getting annoying as fuck. I personally like Skyrim, Oblivion and Fallout 3. It is getting annoying to see people yelling at them just becasue they didn't make those games excatly like orignal. Also, why is simplifaction so bad, I thought the game system in Skyrim was fun and intunntive. I thought over complex systems were supposed to be bad in vidya games since they make it harder to play. I prefer my game to be simplfied rather than complex. at least in game mechanics, so why is what Bethesda is doing so "bad?"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways, if Bethesda tried to make a STALKER game they'd do a terrible job and completely miss the point of the series. It would probably be a Fallout clone, in my opinion. Although I doubt they'll make a STALKER game, probably just wanted to get a competing game off the market or sell it off later.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2012, 10:16:55 pm »

I guess Bethesda + Stalker = Infighting. :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2012, 11:57:03 pm »

For all the very legitimate complaints towards Bethesda, I'm going to say that Skyrim was an improvement over Oblivion. I know they didn't make New Vegas, but being pretty well accepted as an improvement over FO3 I'd wouldn't put it past them to learn a few things. I dunno about a Bethesda Stalker game, but I'd say I can't hate the company as a whole. Also, I haven't played it, but I'm told Bethesda HAS succeeded at being scary before with their Call of Cthulu game.

The game contains a number of bugs, which have never been officially patched. For example, during one mission the player needs to fire a cannon at enemy wizards. On some Windows systems the enemies are not rendered by the game at all, making it very difficult for the player to hit them.

..of course, they ARE still the same Bethesda we love/hate...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2012, 01:27:02 am »

For all the very legitimate complaints towards Bethesda, I'm going to say that Skyrim was an improvement over Oblivion. I know they didn't make New Vegas, but being pretty well accepted as an improvement over FO3 I'd wouldn't put it past them to learn a few things. I dunno about a Bethesda Stalker game, but I'd say I can't hate the company as a whole. Also, I haven't played it, but I'm told Bethesda HAS succeeded at being scary before with their Call of Cthulu game.

To be frank with Call of Cthulu, once you get your hands on a gun it gets ridiculously easy and hard.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2012, 02:41:30 am »

I personally don't think they could do it. They just have not showed the dark grit in any of their games. I don't think they can do the atmosphere or style properly at all.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2012, 02:46:49 am »

Not once has a Bethesda game made me react the same way a bloodsucker in the night, a controller in an abandoned building or the X-labs have. Somehow I don't see it starting now.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2012, 09:53:57 am »

The reason so many people are afraid of "dead" old series being revived by the wrong companies is that it'll diminish the chances of a "proper" game being released. Especially if people will start associating the brand with the new game. They aren't saying it will ruin the old games, just that they're afraid it will ruin the chances of new games like them of the same series.

Man, that guy reminds me a lot of No Mutants Allowed community.
Hey now while we were appalled on the fact Fallout 3/NV went straight off course with the main series, some of us do like how they turned out especially 3 on the eastern side of the states.

"I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy. Have you seen him?"

That line pretty much sums up what level of quality F3 was on.
Love, scriver~

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2012, 10:40:36 am »

The reason so many people are afraid of "dead" old series being revived by the wrong companies is that it'll diminish the chances of a "proper" game being released. Especially if people will start associating the brand with the new game. They aren't saying it will ruin the old games, just that they're afraid it will ruin the chances of new games like them of the same series.

Man, that guy reminds me a lot of No Mutants Allowed community.
Hey now while we were appalled on the fact Fallout 3/NV went straight off course with the main series, some of us do like how they turned out especially 3 on the eastern side of the states.

"I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy. Have you seen him?"

That line pretty much sums up what level of quality F3 was on.
LIBERTY PRIME ATTACK THIS COMMUNIST

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2012, 11:08:31 am »

Everyone please stop hating on Bethesda, it's getting annoying as fuck. I personally like Skyrim, Oblivion and Fallout 3. It is getting annoying to see people yelling at them just becasue they didn't make those games excatly like orignal. Also, why is simplifaction so bad, I thought the game system in Skyrim was fun and intunntive. I thought over complex systems were supposed to be bad in vidya games since they make it harder to play. I prefer my game to be simplfied rather than complex. at least in game mechanics, so why is what Bethesda is doing so "bad?"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways, if Bethesda tried to make a STALKER game they'd do a terrible job and completely miss the point of the series. It would probably be a Fallout clone, in my opinion. Although I doubt they'll make a STALKER game, probably just wanted to get a competing game off the market or sell it off later.

Wow can i copy paste that? Because you clearly nailed what i was thinking and would be faster :P
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2012, 01:14:20 pm »

While Stalker was in no way special or innovative on the technical side, the atmosphere it created made this game very interesting. Bethesda would ruin it. They would just rip out and flanderize the most obviously attractive elements of the prequels without even touching the attitude behind them.

And they would massively dumb it all down for casual console players. Being the invincible super hero who can get away with everything makes the game boring for everyone else. The "Hardcore" mode in New Vegas was an insult to every non-braindead player.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2012, 02:21:47 pm »

New Vegas was made by Obsidian, not Bethesda.
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2012, 03:53:19 pm »

To be fair, I (at least) didn't get New Vegas (or FO3, or Oblivion, or Skyrim) with the expectation of them being super-hard survival RPGs. I got them because I wanted to shoot and stab lots of things with lots of other things. Going into a Bethesda game with the expectation of it being anything other than a buggy hack'n'slash action game is a tad foolish. S'not to say that they're a bad dev, just a very predictable one.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2012, 04:37:52 pm »

It's sort of remarkable how they've turned being awful bugtesters into a selling point.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5