Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Evil biomes... should there be more reward to balance the risk?  (Read 18525 times)

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
Re: Evil biomes... should there be more reward to balance the risk?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2012, 08:39:21 am »

Slime you gotta admit Freez has a point, why send all your precious little Urists (Urist here refers both to currency and migrants) to a place where they have no chance of survival?

Ruins- Why not?

I've always loved the idea of fell moods but they are rare :( , and an evil seems like the appropriate place for a couple of dwarves sneaking around trying to axemurder eachother :D

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 08:46:51 am »

Slime you gotta admit Freez has a point, why send all your precious little Urists to a place where they have no chance of survival?
Why not?

Shit, sending hundreds of dwarves to die is our hobby here. Evil zones need to raise the stakes, and by "raise the stakes" I actually mean "have 50 migrants turned into life-hating undead thralls by an evil rainstorm before they can reach your gates".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2012, 09:13:33 am »

Slime you gotta admit Freez has a point, why send all your precious little Urists (Urist here refers both to currency and migrants) to a place where they have no chance of survival?

Only the first 7 are (somewhat) precious. The rest are expendable.

In fact, dwarf-killing rain is more of a bonus than an impediment.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2012, 09:23:38 am »

Good biomes are not dwarfy, you elf.
Said like someone who's never watched a hapless dwarf being speared by a unicorn.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2012, 09:36:08 am »

Only the first 7 are (somewhat) precious. The rest are expendable.

In fact, dwarf-killing rain is more of a bonus than an impediment.
I prefer minecarts over rain for that purpose, but I guess everyone has their taste.
Of course I don't care for all the little beardy fishdissectors but the people down at the mountainhomes probably do.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2012, 09:57:45 am »

Lemme set this straight... evil biomes SUCK... but I like the way they suck.  I wouldn't mind if they sucked more.  But every other aspect of the game that involves a considerable amount of risk also comes with significant rewards.  Breaching the cavern levels gets you access to underground trees, better the further you go.  Magma... is just amazing, yet has its own risks associated with it, not the least of which being in the form of fiery, fiery death either from the magma itself or... other things associated with it.  Cotton candy's the best stuff there is... but has its own very significant risks.  As it stands, in terms of alignment, good biomes give good reward (the best booze in the game, and very useful wood) for no risk, whereas with evil the rewards are a lot less in terms of practical uses.

I agree, the risk vs. reward for good vs. evil biomes should be reversed.  The best booze in the game should definitely be in evil biomes.  Where all the other civilized races eschew the danger, the dwarves strike forth... all in the name of a legendary drink!

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2012, 10:26:12 am »

gzoker cancels reading the bay12forum -chuckles at post title-
gzoker has trouble breathing

Well, I'm don't want to get into the "the game is alpha, balance at this point is nonexistent, yadda yadda..." argument, but it's true.
You can always mod the game to your liking, or download one, if you don't know how.

In my opinion evil biomes shouldn't have more reward, mostly because they couldn't. I mean, in this game there is no ladder, or achievement system, you don't get points for anything. You accumulate wealth, but that isn't really an indicator of how well you played, or how fun it was.
You say good biomes has the best booze as reward. Well, it's really not. It doesn't really effect your game how valuable goods the dwarves use, it's more like a preference, a meta game. And this is my point: the reward is in the meta game.

Of course if you want to evaluate every action in terms of risk and reward, then consider this:
Losing is Fun. Fun is rewarding. Evil biomes->more losing->more fun->more reward.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Willadie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2012, 11:04:44 am »

Ponies are not dwarfy, you bronie.
Dwarves are not pony, you floating guts.
Modding isn't vanilla, you hacking scum.
Vanilla is too easy, you purist simpleton.
Stacks of 100 elephant zombies aren't easy, you generalizing-purist hater.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2012, 11:28:53 am »

If there were any means to prevent further reanimation of a given creature and to kill husk apart from atom-smashing then the evil biome would be reward by itself. Until then it's a place to send those who say the game is boringly easy.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 11:53:10 am »

Challenge is its own reward.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2012, 12:00:38 pm »

Let me echo the challenge is its own reward. Evil biomes and their huskified goblin sieges are about the only thing that will crumble me at this point.

But back in 31x, before the alignment plants got borked for awhile, I made a new evil shrub that produced the best booze. I forgot about it for awhile afterwards though. But now that I'm thinking about it, and the evil biomes have gotten a challenge upgrade, I might put it back in and make it more valuable than ever. Now my dwarves will have an actual rp reason to settle that god forsaken evil forest of blight. They want the best brew to ever exist, and don't care what they have to go through to get it.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2012, 12:05:24 pm »

Now my dwarves will have an actual rp reason to settle that god forsaken evil forest of blight. They want the best brew to ever exist, and don't care what they have to go through to get it.

What did you name the shrub and the booze?

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2012, 12:32:20 pm »

Ponies are not dwarfy, you bronie.
Dwarves are not pony, you floating guts.
Modding isn't vanilla, you hacking scum.
Vanilla is too easy, you purist simpleton.
Stacks of 100 elephant zombies aren't easy, you generalizing-purist hater.
Elephant zombies aren't trap avoid, you persistent quoter.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2012, 12:43:20 pm »

Now my dwarves will have an actual rp reason to settle that god forsaken evil forest of blight. They want the best brew to ever exist, and don't care what they have to go through to get it.

What did you name the shrub and the booze?

I called them Moonberries and they made moonshine. Basically the opposite of the sunberries/sunshine.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2012, 12:56:35 pm »

I called them Moonberries and they made moonshine. Basically the opposite of the sunberries/sunshine.

Moonshine as the ultimate dwarven booze?  Sounds good to me :D!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5