Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Evil biomes... should there be more reward to balance the risk?  (Read 18550 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: Evil biomes... should there be more reward to balance the risk?
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2012, 08:56:40 am »

but you need to be on an evil biom to have silver colored clothing ... does that not enougth to "balance" ?  Anyway things are not balanced.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SLIVER BARBS

THEY ARE SLIVER BARBS

THEY MAKE BLACK DYE

NOT SILVER

BLACK

D:

Looks like you are losing the battle with silver barbs.
Maybe all those necroseiges at SilentThunders are making you hallucinate...

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2012, 09:25:32 am »

But seriously guys.

Fucking eyeball bushes, muscle tissue grass and blood rain.
Do you NEED another reason to embark on an evil biome? Like, really?
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2012, 09:28:46 am »

I very rarely go to evil bioms but I have a good time when I do so I dont think we need anything more rewarding thab survival.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2012, 11:19:04 am »

Fucking eyeball bushes, muscle tissue grass and blood rain.

Its like the DF version of the Contra / Gradius / R-type flesh-worlds.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2012, 01:46:25 pm »

a 500% migrant rate boost.
This must the the most horrifying idea I have heard. Expecially in evil biomes.

"Another wave of 'em! Urist, close the gates! For Armok's sake close the gates!"
Horrible screams of the migrants and the shrieks of those who can no longer run because of dehydration/hunger/lack of sleep and succumb to the undead horde and the remains of those who came before.
Wailing of thrall fishcleaners and
Abandoned halls filled with the moans of the ghosts of migrants who never made it to the gate.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2012, 02:51:33 pm »

You could build a solid fortress off the two hard-coded waves alone if those were also increased by 500%. Imagine it -- the first year, seven dwarves come, dig in, and are joined within the year by 50 others. Then the doors close. For a few years, the surface is undisturbed save by the dead and those waiting for death, and the scattered goods of murdered wagons slowly returning to the ground. Then, suddenly, the doors are thrown open and 40 dwarves clad in the finest shining metal rush forth and cleanse the surface in a wave of glorious, bloody violence.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2012, 02:56:17 pm »

You could build a solid fortress off the two hard-coded waves alone if those were also increased by 500%. Imagine it -- the first year, seven dwarves come, dig in, and are joined within the year by 50 others. Then the doors close. For a few years, the surface is undisturbed save by the dead and those waiting for death, and the scattered goods of murdered wagons slowly returning to the ground. Then, suddenly, the doors are thrown open and 40 dwarves clad in the finest shining metal rush forth and cleanse the surface in a wave of glorious, bloody violence.

Only one, teensy, tiny flaw in your plan.

The dead will just get up again.

You can only really do two things with undead in evil biomes:
atom smash
push them off the edge of the map

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2012, 03:01:45 pm »

atom smash
burn
bury
cage

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2012, 03:13:19 pm »

atom smash
bury
cage
In the case of keeping them on map, but immobilised/trapped, do they affect FPS at all?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2012, 03:15:31 pm »

atom smash
bury
cage
In the case of keeping them on map, but immobilised/trapped, do they affect FPS at all?
If they're in a 1x1 ditch they shouldn't path, which means no, it doesn't affect FPS. Nothing's stopping you from putting them in one cage too however (I've tried - it works) if you feel like you'd much rather not have them on the map at all (as they can contribute to the wild animal cap when not caged).

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2012, 03:21:23 pm »

If they're in a 1x1 ditch they shouldn't path, which means no, it doesn't affect FPS. Nothing's stopping you from putting them in one cage too however (I've tried - it works) if you feel like you'd much rather not have them on the map at all (as they can contribute to the wild animal cap when not caged).
I didn't think you could pit or re-cage zombies, as the haulers would freak out?

Are you saying you can put them all in a single cage?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2012, 03:23:56 pm »

I didn't think you could pit or re-cage zombies, as the haulers would freak out?

Are you saying you can put them all in a single cage?
I put zombie pigs on chains, and they walked on top of them just fine. As in literally walking on top of the zombie pigs.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2012, 03:54:30 pm »

Evil has plenty of advantages. For example, my traps in such regions generally involve a pit of zombies. My training rooms also have such pits.

If the ability to unleash a horde of undead on invaders isn't a plus, I'm not sure we're playing the same game.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2012, 03:56:15 pm »

I'm not good enough to live in an evil biome yet, so I post out of ignorance.

Do caravans still come?
It seems like they would always die right away, so it would seem like the guard:merchant ratio would increase with each failed visit, as well as the time between visits.  If no caravan ever makes it to trade, they stop alltogether and you only see one every 5 years.  If they do make it in, the prices are sky high.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2012, 06:52:06 pm »

Only one, teensy, tiny flaw in your plan.

The dead will just get up again.
Yeah, it wouldn't work so well in a reanimating biome. But I've got a nice site that doesn't reanimate but is completely covered by thrall clouds. Also, it's a swamp so it rains a bunch and leaves piles of thrall dust all over the site. At least there's a cave to hide in, if you can clear the trolls out first.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]