Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Melting Items  (Read 1384 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Melting Items
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:17:17 pm »

Will dwarves ONLY melt down objects you specify for melting?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Melting Items
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:19:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure, yes.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:24:30 pm »

They should be getting a job cancellation saying something about "no items available to melt" or something if no items are designated for melting.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:25:15 pm »

[sarcasm] no , they will melt whatever they see . [/sarcasm]
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 04:26:15 pm »

Excellent. The goblin civs I am at war with drop inordinate amounts of iron arrows, so we have plenty of melting fodder.

Actually, this world is strange for many reasons. Dwarves and elves being extremely close, as are humans and goblins. I keep getting engraving's of so and so eating Human McWossname alive.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

eRaz0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 08:04:38 pm »

Followup question - dropping metal items into magma (provided not magma-safe)..  is that the same yield after cooling? Or is it less efficient? Are the (molten copper) even usable?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 08:29:56 pm »

Followup question - dropping metal items into magma (provided not magma-safe)..  is that the same yield after cooling? Or is it less efficient? Are the (molten copper) even usable?

No, it's a waste of perfectly good metal. Globs are about the same size as an amulet or book, that is, rather small.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 08:34:10 pm »

I thought stuff was destroyed utterly in magma.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 08:59:17 pm »

Non-magma safe metal items will not be utterly destroyed. They first melt into a puddle of unusable metal.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 09:50:59 pm »

Stuff that falls through the magma and into the magma flow is destroyed. Unless you're moving magma around and dumping into that, dumping into magma is synonymous with dumping into magma flow.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

eRaz0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 04:43:56 pm »

- I ask because in a a previous version, you could dump non-magma safe metal items into a magma cistern, drain or cast the chamber into obsidian, and recover some of the metal  (at first it would say (molten copper) or whatever but eventually it would cool).. but my recollection of that process is hazy.. haven't played for a while.

Just thought I'd see if that process was still valid.  Seems like it's a waste of time now.