Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rather Complicated Race Creation  (Read 2902 times)

Raineh

• Bay Watcher
  • Eminently Predictable
    • View Profile
Rather Complicated Race Creation
« on: August 02, 2012, 06:23:29 pm »

So... because I have a habit of overcomplicating things for myself, I've realised I need to ask for help. Mostly because of tissues/materials, to be honest. :-\

Anyway, the aim is to create a four-armed, snake-themed (so, no legs) race with steel bones and a unified fat/muscle/skin (imaginatively dubbed slime) tissue that... is immune to temperature. This is the bit that's giving me trouble: working out what I need to define to just get the body up and running; everything else is comparatively simple...

I have this for body shape:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And these for tissues, which I'm much less certain of:

The only material I've added so far is the goo template (which has an inorganic counterpart that's literally just the template itself because I'm easily confused), which is just a slightly modified fat one:

Now, the main problem? I'm horribly confused trying to work out material templates when defining creatures, and I presumably need to work out how to actually layer tissues... and that means trying to work out how the default plans can be edited if I value not having to list things tissue by tissue. Which is where the material template confusion comes in, along with wondering what materials the organs are made out of and whether I have to change them any more...

So, in summary, my questions are:
  • What do I still need to define before making the race itself?
  • How would I include steel and that goo in a material template?
  • What editing to the default tissue templates in there needs to be done? Is it just removing some of the arguments and altering relative sizes?
  • What are the organs made out of and do I need to edit them to have their making sense?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:25:18 pm by Raineh »
Completely insane, honestly.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Rather Complicated Race Creation
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:56:52 pm »

1. Take a look at dwarves; they've got everything you COULD need. Some of that stuff isn't needed; playtest to see what you took out but needed.
2. Look at bronze colossi and such.
3. Add FIREIMMUNE.
4. I'm not sure. Just leaving them as-is SHOULD work--they use their own materials and tissues. Still, playtest!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Raineh

• Bay Watcher
  • Eminently Predictable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:39:03 pm »

• Umm... that doesn't help with what's causing me problems. At all. That falls back on the detail plans, which I'm not sure how to edit, which is why I made this.
  • Not what I meant. What I mean is, is it required to have material templates for, say, steel, and if so how would I add it (since all the materials seem to go whatever_template).
  • That comes after the stuff that's giving problems...
  • So... they don't use skin/muscle?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:15:55 pm »

1) your answer lies in b_detail_plan_default.txt with the ARG# arguments. If you scroll down to something like [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS], you will notice that it has things like [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:BODY_UPPER:ARG3:50:ARG2:5:ARG1:1]. Then if we look in the creature itself you can see that it has [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]. This means that ARG1=SKIN, ARG2=FAT, and so on. This means when the game goes to layer the upper body it puts a layer of 50 of ARG3 (MUSCLE), then a layer of 5 of ARG2 (FAT), then a layer of 1 of ARG1 (skin).

4)Organs actually use tissues titled "STOMACH", "GIZZARD", etc.; which can be seen in b_detail_plan_default.txt once again where it has things like [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:STOMACH:STOMACH:100]. Unless you are planning on having custom organ meats then you should be fine just using the vanilla ones.

I originally would have given some answers to 2/3, but I appear to have run out of time for right now. If nobody has answered them by the time I get back then I'll go more into detail on their answers.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Raineh

• Bay Watcher
  • Eminently Predictable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 06:13:54 am »

Hmm... right, right...

Is the reason that it defines materials in that situation because the default tissue templates refer to local_creaeture_mat?

Raineh

• Bay Watcher
  • Eminently Predictable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 07:25:32 am »

Oh, um, never mind, I seem to have finished it on my own. Somehow. XD

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 01:09:16 pm »

Oh, um, never mind, I seem to have finished it on my own. Somehow. XD
Good then! Is everything working ok with it? Nothing popping up in your error logs?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Raineh

• Bay Watcher
  • Eminently Predictable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 10:07:34 am »

Yeah, everything is working fine. Probably need to lower the pain sensitivity of the bones though and regen everything but aside from that... it's all working fine.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 10:08:46 pm »

Can we see it? Here at Bay12, we always love a good mockery of nature!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Raineh

• Bay Watcher
  • Eminently Predictable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 08:03:15 am »

Sorry for the delay... >.<

But, um, yeah:

Most interesting thing of note is that if they hit something with those tails, it tends to go soaring across the screen.