Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: resources and trade goods for an empire management rts\pnp tbs  (Read 2541 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: resources and trade goods for an empire management rts\pnp tbs
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 04:37:31 pm »

it's low fantasy at least for an earlier release. not that i'm opposed to higher fantasy but i think i have enough work on my hands without inventing fantastic creatures. religion and myth might play a part as more than crowd control, though.
As for your suggested resources, i'm abstracting out the most basic things. i did spoke of grain and fish, but i think those will be grouped simply as basic food
what i'm asking for are trade goods that would provide a few bonuses, even if just to humour the most picky nobles or provide a slight boost to happiness in cities, but would otherwise be necessary. things like clay, wood, stone, textiles, etc. won't be represented as cities are assumed to have access to these by default, or equivalent alternatives.
basic resources will be money, food, population, and reputation\glory\respect, something like that that would boost morale and diplomacy

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 09:44:27 pm »

Fancy schmancy things and bonus-givers, huh?  Okay, then, I repeat tar.  Water-repellant coating, plus disinfectant, plus lovely smell that enhances your sauna and/or food.  Unless you think this would be hard to explain to players.  Here are some easier ones . . .

Salt.  Or, heck yes, SPICES in general.

If horses are a bonus-giving commodity, there's always livestock.

For luxuries, anything art-related would do.  Zeus: Master of Olympus had "statues" as a commodity, along with things like wine and olive oil just as you have.

--Rexfelum

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 10:43:29 am »

statues and art pieces are not specifically tied to a region, and livestock i'd say would fit into the generic food resources i'm abstracting away. horses are important though as they are military tools, so i'm modelling them as a commodity

salt, hum... good idea. i'll do a mechanic for food decay, where food stockpiles diminish by a percentage independent of consumption, and salt could diminish food decay. any other bonuses for salt?
tar, i don't know how to gamificate it's properties. bonus to infrastructure and shipwright? that's too similar to the bonuses wood would give, and i'm guessing it'd be produced in the same regions

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 01:57:16 pm »

First, salt is a flavoring and outright valued by itself.  You know the whole "equal in worth to gold" thing, right?  If you want luxuries, salt (and general spices) count.

Salt is also useful in curing hides, making various chemicals, and combating disease.  Soldiers need salt along with other nutrients.

Yeah, tar is weird, maybe not my best suggestion.  It depends on how much redundancy you want.

--Rexfelum
Pages: 1 [2]