Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Just another drawing-a-day  (Read 20211 times)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just another drawing-a-day
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 03:26:04 am »

I think that Day 13's image didn't turn out so great. When colouring in photoshop you should generally make a new layer and change the layer type to either overlay or multiply when adding to something that already exists. Overlay is good for adding colour to greyscale images, and multiply sometimes works better in places where you have whitespace that needs to be coloured.

If you're adding colour to lineart and it's on a layer of it's own then make a new layer under it and colour on the new layer. It's clean and simple, and if you need to erase something that crossed a line you won't destroy your lines.

As for the heavy blur of the image, use a different brush or be prepared to zoom in and define your subject. If your main focal point isn't clear and crisp it will look blurry and out of place.

If you need any tips or help with photoshop I'd be more than happy to give advice. I use it fairly often so I should be able to answer pretty quick if I'm online.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 03:15:20 am »

Thanks for the advice The Fool, If I have any questions I'll ask you

Working on this I realized that line weight does make a difference so I will try to vary it next time.
Spoiler:  Day 14 (click to show/hide)

If you are wondering about the building in this, its the Einstein building in Potsdam, Germany.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:41:14 am by somebody »

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 02:36:46 am »

Well, I found out why terkiry couldn't see the images, Sadpanda.us (the image host) doesn't work in South America.

I really have reservations about making his head a toaster, I want to make an all kitchenware version of this and an all kitchen appliance version.
Spoiler:  Day 15 (click to show/hide)

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
  • dungeon master with questionable motives
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 06:10:29 am »

Hey, those are looking really nice. I especially like the kitchenware dude.

I'm not too great at drawing myself so I don't have any advice, just keep going they look great so far! :)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 11:15:34 am »

Well, I found out why terkiry couldn't see the images, Sadpanda.us (the image host) doesn't work in South America.

Most of the time I have to manually copy and paste the address to see it if it's from sadpanda and I live in Canada. I think it's my ISP that's stopping most images from loading right away. Personally I use imageshack, and that isn't a bad option if you're just doing a daily image thing.

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 02:56:27 am »

Is there any tool in photoshop that can be used for lineart?

Spoiler: Day 16 (click to show/hide)

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 04:18:11 am »

Wow the last one is really great
For lineart you can best use the pen tool, if you're into disproportionally high effort
Or just set the opacity higher for your strokes, also reduce their diameter or something for details

If you try the pen tool you'll be occupied for a while  ;D

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 09:07:46 am »

Wow the last one is really great

Does Photoshop have an option to reduce the effect of pressure on brush strokes? I think that might help with consistency, but I use a mouse.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 09:14:23 am »

Does Photoshop have an option to reduce the effect of pressure on brush strokes? I think that might help with consistency, but I use a mouse.

I would reduce brush opacity if you're using a mouse. It's the opacity option at the top that's next to the brush type drop-menu. Anything else will result in solid black lines.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 12:10:50 pm »

(I was trying to help, not asking for general help in someone else's art topic.)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 12:26:20 pm »

(I was trying to help, not asking for general help in someone else's art topic.)

Oh. Sorry. I'll try and answer this differently then.

If you want to refine lines the eraser is your friend. Make the lines you want and refine the edges with the eraser to make the shapes you want clearer. Just stick to the brush tool, and alternate back and forth with the eraser. I use the b and e keys to speed up the switch.

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012, 02:34:44 am »

Well, I lost what I was originally drawing to a crash, so I drew a myconid instead.

Also a question I forgot to ask yesterday, How do I convey movement?
Spoiler: Day 17 (click to show/hide)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 01:06:41 pm »

Here. This one is mostly right.

http://www.howcast.com/videos/501646-How-to-Show-Movement-in-Drawings-Illustration-and-Drawing-Tips

One thing that is briefly mentioned, but not emphasized is the shift in weight. If someone is running, they're shifting their weight forward and leaning. If someone just got hit hard by something, they'd be noticeably off balance. Things like that are important.

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 02:48:30 am »

@The Fool: Thanks for that.

I realized today that I could be doing so much more with this thread. Instead of just doing 1 drawing a day, I decided that it would be better if I tackle a subject I'm weak at and get feedback on it along with the daily drawing.

Spoiler:  Day 18 (click to show/hide)

I did a drawing of a person and I'm wondering where my mistakes are.
Spoiler: Weakness- NSFW (click to show/hide)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 10:24:22 am »

Your daily picture needs a focal point from where all lines are drawn from. The buildings on the street appear to be twisting in an odd way. I'd suggest looking up articles on drawing in perspective.

Human anatomy problems:
 - Arms too long. They should be ending with the tips of the hand stopping just above the knee of a person in a neutral stance.
 - Legs too big. The legs should also be more slender in most cases. Unless she's quite muscular they shouldn't be that wide.
 - Head too small. The human body is about 8 heads long. This one is about 12 or more.
 - Breasts are weird, especially the fold of skin under them. There are several good tutorials for drawing breasts out there, just look some up and try them out.
 - The pose seems forced and unnatural, but that can be fixed with practice. Try this site for a more structured practice: http://www.posemaniacs.com/

Just be warned that it can be quite quick if you're not used to drawing poses. Draw the shape and then come back to detail it if you still have time. The shape is the most important thing, because where the weight is being placed is determined with the shape.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18