Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Voile Fortress - v1.5 - Koas are Striking the Earth  (Read 21096 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Voile Fortress - v1.5 - Koas are Striking the Earth
« on: August 06, 2012, 10:24:38 am »

Please wait warmly.

So what is this mod, you ask? Well, really it's pretty small as it all it does is change the playable civ to Koakuma. Dwarves remain in-game, and should get along with the Koakuma civ just fine. I at least, have not seen them start out warring with one another. Dwarven RAWs aren't changed, so their caravan should arrive in the Autumn in the second year and beyond. Should.

This started out as little more then a pet project of mine, and I shared it amongst some friends, and I figured: Why not just share it with the DF community at large? What's the worst that could happen! They're kind, upstanding, and only slightly mentally insane people after all. While I eventually plan to add more features that'll help make the Koakuma civ be more standout, as it stands now this is what they have as pros and cons:

Pros
- Koakuma have higher regeneration, agility, and disease resistance on average then other races.
- Atelier building will eventually allow them to access a wide variety of materials via alchemy.
- Mana industry!
- Credits to who made the Sawmill mod, as the Koakuma use it.

Cons
- They cannot use adamantine, at a later point they can use it in alchemy to produce other things, but it won't be as good as adamantine.
- The steel they make isn't dwarven, which is to say it's weaker and the original steel RAW has been re-named to dwarven steel and is only produced by the dwarves.
- Their wings, headwings, and tail may or may not be protected by armor. I'm not too sure on this one, but in my experience, they tend to lose wings really easy.
- They are human-sized, so they can't actually wear any armor salvaged off smaller creatures.
- A high female to male ratio means you may want to be careful how you use the males. (3 to 1, to be exact)

What is a Koakuma?
Koakuma is a character from Touhou Project, and my inspiration for this project is the Suika Fortress mod. While Suika is more aesthetically correct, Koakuma is one of my favorite characters so I decided to do this anyway. Koakuma literally means "little devil".

Credits
By default the mod is packaged with Phoebus tileset, so all credits go to him for those tiles.
Original Koa base icon is credit to a friend of mine, although all the professions are done by me.

I'll probably prettify this at some point or another. And make it look more organized.

Download is here:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6745

Changelog:
v1.3
- Added in Winged Spears, Half-Pikes, and Long Bows for Koakuma civ
- Trolls and Ogres given a petvalue
- Tea Mushrooms. Because why not?!
- Mana reactions now use Strand Extraction instead of Concentration
- Sawmill uses Woodcutting instead of Carpentry, and only yields 10 planks instead of 20.
- Koakuma stats have been tweaked
- All female humanoids have breasts (may be removed)

v1.3.1
- Minor bug fixes caused by me reading the wrong tokens (Labor tokens =/= Skill tokens)
- Koakuma given custom language

v1.4
- Orichalcum and Mithril added to the Mana Furnace. Orichalcum is made from copper and gold with a mana gem, and Mithril is made from aluminum also using a mana gem. Orichalcum is stronger then Koakumian Steel and Mithril is about half as strong as Adamantine.

v1.5
- Suika civilization added. For now they use mostly Dwarven set-ups. Although they are far, far stronger and have a very limited selection of weapons. They aren't intended to be playable, but if you do try them out well... they may be a bit too strong. Suikas use all Japanese-named weapons, armor, and clothing.
- Koakumian Steel is renamed to "Crude Steel" and every Civ (except Elves) has access to it now. Including Goblins! Crude Steel is still about half as good as Dwarven Steel.
- New folder 'optional' has the 'silly' Koakumian language. If you use it, remember to back up your original!
- Tweaks to Koakumian civilization should allow them to actually expand and should prevent them from being small, tiny one-city civs now.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:29:28 pm by krisslanza »

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Voile Fortress - v1.0 - Koas are Striking the Earth
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 11:08:21 am »

AWESOME

This sounds very fun. But can they fly? :O

Also, the top position in Koakuma society should be Assistant Librarian. What a lofty goal :P So are they still [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]?

My wooden badge was delicious.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:44:18 am »

AWESOME

This sounds very fun. But can they fly? :O

Also, the top position in Koakuma society should be Assistant Librarian. What a lofty goal :P So are they still [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]?

The wings are set-up with [FLIER] but I don't think they have it "enabled". I could, but I can't recall if it particularly matters in Fortress mode or not.

I should do something like that at some point, as it stands I just tweaked a few positions (Chief Medical Koakuma, instead of Chief Medical Dwarf), but I'll change the whole ladder at some point.

And yes, they keep [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] for gameplay reasons. I mean, if we take that out, how else can we have tantrum spirals caused by lack of booze! I say it could be reasoned that they drink the alcohol as it's a good source of Faith or... something.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 11:48:01 am »

It's the only thing that can combat the dullness of filing books all day long ;)
My wooden badge was delicious.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 11:55:34 am »

It's the only thing that can combat the dullness of filing books all day long ;)

Speaking of books, with the VALUE token seemingly gone, I wonder how the value of books is calculated now. As it stands I haven't used books, tomes, or grimoires for anything beyond them being a valuable trade good. I've considered them being used in "training" workshops, like some other mods, and possibly as reagents in more advanced alchemy reactions.

I do think the game is only set up to allow you to make books though right now. I'm thinking of adding in a Koa-only animal that is only good for its leather as well, something that matures quickly so you can always have a good supply of leather handy to make vellum and books from. Although, I guess there's animals in-game that would already fit that criteria.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:51:35 pm »

Wow it's been a month almost already? Time flies.

I don't have an update ready still, mainly because I started working recently and on top of that I have some online classes to do, so what little freetime I can squeeze out, has been spent playing games instead of well, doing coding and brainstorming of ideas. I've got some though.

I'm going to do away with the "Runed" stuff and turn it all into a "Mana" industry, as it were. The basic mana unit will be free to make, like rune crystals, but better ones will be made via other methods (a working idea is the next tier up, is made from plants). Right now, I just have a Mana Furnace planned, which will basically roll a wood burner and furnace into one, but mainly for now focuses on a way to make fuel-less starts easier, as you can make charcoal a far more viable source of fuel in exchange for mana.

I'm also thinking of adding some more plants, mainly some more tea plants to add a bit more variety into the mix. I'm working on redesigning the leadership roles as well, so they won't simply be using Dwarven ranks.

That's about all I have planned for now, just thought I'd give a heads up and let people know this isn't dead.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 01:16:47 pm »

Following this.

So is Patchouli gonna be a mega-beast? Or still no plans for her yet?

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 05:16:07 pm »

Following this.

So is Patchouli gonna be a mega-beast? Or still no plans for her yet?

At the time I'm not sure. At one point, I fiddled with the idea of finding a way to make a "Patchouli" sub-caste or something, that would handle all the admin-jobs. But I think that wouldn't work out too well.

It's certainly something I could do at some point, but for now, I'm more focused on things I know how to do (I've never tried fiddling with megas).

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 05:58:36 pm »

Updated to 1.1!

New changes/features:
1. All Runed stuff removed and rune crystals. Replaced with "Mana" buildings, although you can only make "dull mana gems" for now. I'm still thinking on normal and beyond. Sorry about that. Also added in the Mana Furnace which is a more efficient Wood Burner that can help you with a good supply of fuel.

2. Several noble ranks renamed. The baron rank is now 'Minder', count is 'Assistant Librarian', duke is 'Chief Librarian', and the monarch is 'voice of Patchouli'. These particular nobles are also restricted to female Koakumas only. Hammerer is now known as an 'Enforcer of Silence'.

All in all, not much. But I wanted to get SOMETHING out.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Voile Fortress - v1.1 - Koas are Striking the Earth
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 05:08:29 pm »

Voile Fortress: Slaves to Patchouli

Ah, wonderful work so far. Can't wait to see more added to this.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Voile Fortress - v1.1 - Koas are Striking the Earth
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 05:19:56 pm »

Voile Fortress: Slaves to Patchouli

Ah, wonderful work so far. Can't wait to see more added to this.

If I could only add that to the game somehow. I wanted to rename the capital to something new but... I couldn't find it in the raws. It's probably somewhere obvious, and I just totally missed it.

But I'm glad you like it! I wasn't expecting some kind of smash hit, like Genesis or something, but it pleases me that I can have some people download it and enjoy it. I'm currently just working on refining the whole Mana industry before I try to add in an Alchemy system I think. And trying to further "unique-ify" the Koakuma civ.

Also a part of me is tempted to play up the whole fanon view of Koakuma being a succubus, but... iffy on that. Also, not sure how to explain the "male" Koakuma...

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Voile Fortress - v1.2 - Koas are Striking the Earth
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 10:16:54 pm »

Updated to 1.2

Mostly just some minor bug fixes. Koakumas will now only have access to "Koakumian Steel" instead of Dwarven Steel. The sawmill will now produce "plank blocks" instead of just a "block" of an unknown material.

Weapons have been changed a bit. Short swords and pikes removed, two-handed swords and morning stars added. Also hand axe removed. I just felt the pikes were kind of a bit much when they also have spears. I'm trying to think of some further weapons to give all the weapon skills a bit more variety.

Turnips can be grown and converted into normal mana gems, which has a small chance to yield Gold Turnip seeds which can be grown and turned into Bright Mana Gems. Due to the way the game works, you can just embark with the Gold Turnip seeds and all that though... so not sure how I'll fix that.

I... think that's everything. If any bugs, or something not working right lemme know.

Bellmaker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 08:52:47 pm »

Excellent work, Kriss~

We ought to do a Succession Fort with this mod.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 09:09:06 pm »

Excellent work, Kriss~

We ought to do a Succession Fort with this mod.

The idea has crossed my mind a few times. I'm unsure how well it might catch on, given this isn't a mod where you play as dorfs after all...

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 07:08:02 pm »

Well I ended my last fort a little while ago. So downloaded the new Koa update and will make a small fort to try it out. Will let you know if I run into any bugs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7