Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Voile Fortress - v1.5 - Koas are Striking the Earth  (Read 21133 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Voile Fortress - v1.2 - Koas are Striking the Earth
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 07:13:16 pm »

Well I ended my last fort a little while ago. So downloaded the new Koa update and will make a small fort to try it out. Will let you know if I run into any bugs.

Thanks! How did your old one go?

I'm currently kind of having too many ideas, and not sure which I should include. I keep being tempted to add in some Dark Souls references or something... and I'm thinking of adding in more varieties of tea somehow... and then I keep thinking if I should play up the 'succubus' angle... or if their should be breasts in the game and... yeah, see? I'm so bad at staying focused.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 07:41:30 pm »

It was just a fort that I was playing with some architecture and fort layouts. Just popped hfs and let the demons have fun with the dwarves. Just looking around for an embark site now.

More tea varieties shouldn't be too hard to do, mainly just coming up with names there. And dark souls could be interesting.

As for the succubus angle, I don't care either way, but I do lean towards no. But if you think you got some good ideas that plays off that, go for it. Otherwise just leave it as is and the people who do want the genitals and the like in game can copy from the succubus mod that is already released.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:56:44 pm by Patchy »

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 07:52:13 pm »

It was just a fort that I was playing with some architecture and fort layouts. Just popped hfs and let the demons have fun with the dwarves. Just looking around for an embark site now.

Ah, the most tedious part of the game for me sometimes. I always stress on trying to find just that PERFECT embark...

EDIT

Yeah, I don't think it'll be hard. Just an idea, and I'll see how it turns out.

And I don't really. Other than... I dunno. Boobs, I guess. I wasn't thinking of using the Lust Demon mod to the extent it does really, so I guess playing up the succubus angle is kinda moot. Not to mention the "male" Koakuma could wear clearly female stuff...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:16:29 pm by krisslanza »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 09:46:13 pm »

Well. I have no idea of the anime. But was there ever a real pairing for her? You could re-name the male caste to the love interest of the fandom.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 09:59:45 pm »

Well. I have no idea of the anime. But was there ever a real pairing for her? You could re-name the male caste to the love interest of the fandom.

Touhou isn't really an anime, and of the entire cast you have, like... four? Males. And only two of them showed up in the games - Genji, a flying turtle with a beard, and Unzan, a giant pink cloud thing.

So... yeah. The only real fanon love interest for Koakuma tends to be Patchouli. Who isn't a man.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 10:06:57 pm »

Found a spot and embarked, even has a night-creature lair on it, and it had elf for dinner. So should be fun enough for now. Will start playing on it tomorrow.

And Pufferfish, as many fans will yell at you for, Touhou is not an anime. It is a series of bullet hell games. That is practically a touhou trope in of itself. The thing with touhou too, is almost every character is female. There are only a handful of named males in it. Granted the fans have many pairings for the various chars anyways. And I'm not sure who all except for Patchouli they have paired Koa up with, if any.

Edit: Ah ninja'd

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 10:19:06 pm »

Found a spot and embarked, even has a night-creature lair on it, and it had elf for dinner. So should be fun enough for now. Will start playing on it tomorrow.

And Pufferfish, as many fans will yell at you for, Touhou is not an anime. It is a series of bullet hell games. That is practically a touhou trope in of itself. The thing with touhou too, is almost every character is female. There are only a handful of named males in it. Granted the fans have many pairings for the various chars anyways. And I'm not sure who all except for Patchouli they have paired Koa up with, if any.

Edit: Ah ninja'd

Lemme know how it goes! Perhaps share a screenshot or two.

I've seen Koakuma paired with Daiyousei a few times. Probably because they're, technically, art-less midbosses.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 08:42:04 pm »

Well didn't get any time to play tonight on it. Though I did note a few little things I ran into while embarking last night.

The Koas get to embark with unicorns and trolls? If that is intentional, the unicorns are appropriately priced, but you may want to check the pet value for trolls, so they cost more than 1 point.

While naming the fort and group, I did notice a few oddities with the words. I think the most likely cause is from the fact you have assigned them their own Koa language, but haven't made a Koa language file for them. You'd either have to set them back to using dwarfish, or create a file for them. The below link should take you to a utility that works nicely and quickly for creating a language, I've used it before for a race modding experiment of my own.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47332.0

I can post a screenshot of the mini-map or maybe the night creature's lair now if you like. But otherwise it is fairly plain looking right now as I haven't done anything but embark and save for the moment.

Edit: Well here is the mini-map anyways. There is likely an embark wide aquifer of 1 or 2 z-levels maximum depth, will know for sure when I actually start digging. The Koas are also in open war with the goblins.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:57:24 pm by Patchy »

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 08:50:19 pm »

Well didn't get any time to play tonight on it. Though I did note a few little things I ran into while embarking last night.

The Koas get to embark with unicorns and trolls? If that is intentional, the unicorns are appropriately priced, but you may want to check the pet value for trolls, so they cost more than 1 point.

While naming the fort and group, I did notice a few oddities with the words. I think the most likely cause is from the fact you have assigned them their own Koa language, but haven't made a Koa language file for them. You'd either have to set them back to using dwarfish, or create a file for them. The below link should take you to a utility that works nicely and quickly for creating a language, I've used it before for a race modding experiment of my own.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47332.0

I can post a screenshot of the mini-map or maybe the night creatures lair now if you like. But otherwise its fairly plain looking right now as I haven't done anything but embark and save for the moment.

Thanks for that link, I'll look into that. I think the Koas use a Koakuma language, but it doesn't actually exist.

And yeah, the trolls and ogres have that 'problem'. Koakuma has the tokens to use evil AND good things, but in the raws, trolls and ogres have a PETVALUE of 1... I'm unsure of an appropriate price for them, so I haven't really changed it.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 09:00:31 pm »

Every male is Rinnosuke, who fathers every child in the universe.

DONE.

The only alternative is Cho-Marisa, that cloud and Youmu's dad. We aren't even going to talk about the turtle.
My wooden badge was delicious.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 09:08:25 pm »

Every male is Rinnosuke, who fathers every child in the universe.

DONE.

The only alternative is Cho-Marisa, that cloud and Youmu's dad. We aren't even going to talk about the turtle.

Clearly the solution is just the "male" Koakuma is MAAAAAGIC!
I've seen odder things. There was this race of fairy-like creatures in a browser RPG, called Shyde, who actually reproduce by the power of love - as Shyde were all women. Well, they sometimes had Champions, but they could actually reproduce by the POWER OF LOOOOOVE (which has yet to be weaponized by dwarves).

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 09:09:15 pm »

I'd say make them at least as expensive as some of the larger domesticated animals. Trolls are a good bit stronger than your average dog and shearable without needing pastureland. They also live 800-1000 years, but kids are slow to mature and you can't butcher trolls without ethics modding, but at 1 point you could sure bring a lot of them.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 09:20:30 pm »

I'd say make them at least as expensive as some of the larger domesticated animals. Trolls are a good bit stronger than your average dog and shearable without needing pastureland. They also live 800-1000 years, but kids are slow to mature and you can't butcher trolls without ethics modding, but at 1 point you could sure bring a lot of them.

Yeah, true. I just hadn't really changed it because... well, I was the only one using it for so long. I'll see about comparing the price of some larger domestic animals and repricing them.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 03:58:45 pm »

So played a bit today. And jotted down some more stuff.

1: I never used the sawmill mod before, but 20 planks per 1 log? Isn't that a bit much? Of note is that the skill uses carpentry of course, and the plank reaction causes the koa to level up in carpentry at a very high rate. Completing 1 plank reaction is like 20 carpenter actions. Try changing your reaction to produce 1000 planks and use a no-skill Koa to do it. You'll get an insta-legendary. xP

2: The reactions to produce mana gems from your normal turnips returns no normal turnip seeds. I suppose that could be a way to keep turnips as a rare commodity, especially since the only way to get seeds from them is to let the koas eat them raw.

3: The mana gem reactions appear to be working as intended. Of note is, mana gems can be cut and encrusted. Perhaps giving them a value can be nice too, so you can use them as a decent decoration source.

4: Books.... Currently seems to have no use for them except as very low value trade goods, considering the 3 leathers and 3 jobs to make one. I suppose the value on it would've been better had I used something better than a dabbling leather worker. But right now, I'd see most people just sticking with their standard uses for leather. Perhaps making books required for the building of the mana furnace and altars would work, as well as make them into reagents with a small chance of being used up in mana reactions. Also if you've ever seen the display case mod, you can do something like that with books. Take 2 blocks and 3 to 5 books or something and build them into a reactionless 1x1 workshop as decoration and call it a bookcase. Could be the Koa equivalent of statues everywhere.

Well I be done for now, if I notice any other oddities or come up with a good Koa idea, I'll let ya know.

Edit: Was thinking since the koas seem to be developing towards a wood based economy vs the usual dwarven stone ones, I'd write a little reaction for them that I may use on the next fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wooden mechanisms for the Koas.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:23:58 pm by Patchy »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 04:23:34 pm »

I'll have you guys know that I ship Koakuma with Shou.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7