Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cook - Brew - Mill  (Read 4107 times)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cook - Brew - Mill
« on: August 06, 2012, 10:59:11 am »

I'm sure someone has suggested this before.  I would like to point out this specific idea because it is probably fairly easy to implement.

In the Z --> Kitchen menu, one can toggle whether a type of food should be cooked or brewed (or both, or neither).  Can we add "mill" to that list?

For example, if I wanted to brew all Longland grass into alcohol (for example), but not make any flour with it, I can't do that through this menu at this time.  If I use my quern at all to mill plants, it mills anything that can be milled, not what I specify.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Cook - Brew - Mill
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 04:21:36 pm »

Scrap the z - Kitchen menu entirely and replace it with a per-workshop menu! Lets you set materials to be used for every workshop seperately.
Possibly even the z - Stone and z - Animals menus.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 05:13:00 pm »

In the Z --> Kitchen menu, one can toggle whether a type of food should be cooked or brewed (or both, or neither).  Can we add "mill" to that list?
This would definitely be a good idea
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

HoshiGiniro

• Bay Watcher
  • Gamer Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 09:30:51 pm »

this would also help people like me who wants to know exactly what my dwarfs are doing at all times and if i could control what they are milling through any menu it is worth being added in my opinion being able to tell them they can only mill cave wheat but not the longland grass would definitely be something any civilization would do

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:02:31 am »

I belive workshop profiles are planed to include what types of stone/wood/plant/items, they use.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 12:39:05 pm »

That's a pretty good idea. When I want flour or sugar, I want flour or sugar, not dye, dammit!
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 01:52:32 pm »

One way to do it for now is to have a stockpile give to the mill workshop only the things you want to be milled.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 04:37:37 am »

One way to do it for now is to have a stockpile give to the mill workshop only the things you want to be milled.

Dedicated stockpiles are actually a pretty powerful tool that it took me a long time to fully appreciate.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

HoshiGiniro

• Bay Watcher
  • Gamer Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 06:21:24 pm »

that is one way but once all the cave wheat is up if you have the mill command on repeat they will go for the other millable items

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 07:49:50 pm »

that is one way but once all the cave wheat is up if you have the mill command on repeat they will go for the other millable items

No, they won't.  If any stockpile gives to a workshop, that workshop can only take items from stockpiles that give to it.  If those stockpiles go empty, the workshop shuts down.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

HoshiGiniro

• Bay Watcher
  • Gamer Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 02:00:11 am »

No, they won't.  If any stockpile gives to a workshop, that workshop can only take items from stockpiles that give to it.  If those stockpiles go empty, the workshop shuts down.
i did not know that *runs to the wiki*
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:08:08 am by HoshiGiniro »

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 06:30:00 am »

Note that once a workshop takes from a stockpile, it ONLY takes from its dedicated stockpiles so EVERYTHING it uses needs to be in one.

If you have a dyeplants stockpile giving to your quern, you'll need to set up a boxes & bags furniture stockpile that only accepts leather/silk/cloth/yarn items and make that stockpile give to your quern too. Failure to do this results in job cancellation spam instead of dye.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:34:01 am by lazygun »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 07:22:45 am »

Or, connect a second stockpile.

Good idea, OP. What else should be added?

Scrap the z - Kitchen menu entirely and replace it with a per-workshop menu! Lets you set materials to be used for every workshop seperately.
Possibly even the z - Stone and z - Animals menus.
No.
1. I like getting the menus set up so that I know plump helmets and other valuable plants, and well as alcohol of course, won't get cooked once I embark. If we did this, I'd have to wait until I built a kitchen, not find myself embroiled in a tantrum spiral or something at the time so I remembered, and redo it every time I added a kitchen. Moreover, if I got a new food to change the Cook status or wanted to change the Cook status on some item, I'd have to do it once for every kitchen.
2. What would you need this for that a few linked stockpiles can't solve?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

HoshiGiniro

• Bay Watcher
  • Gamer Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 03:31:37 pm »

i still agree that in the z- kitchen menu there should be a third option for mill for the mill-able items so you can turn it off or on like you can already do for cook and brew

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 01:01:42 am »

I'd definately agree with that as well - the kitchen menu is a very handy tool to have, and lets you avoid a lot of annoying micromanagement.

I would also suggest a similar toggle for letting the dwarves eat something raw, as well.
Pages: [1] 2