Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Starship Corporation (Building/Management)  (Read 30245 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Starship Corporation (Building/Management)
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2013, 08:00:54 am »

This is how you can tell more experienced programmers from less experienced programmers. You see this in a lot of indie projects... and on a lot of KS backed ones too.

I thought the game was eventually supposed to be released for free at some point, or am I confusing this with something else?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2013, 09:50:30 am »

I think there's supposed to be a free single-player version, and then a multiplayer portion that you need to donate/pay for (once only I think?).

I'm mostly holding out hope that he's working on a lot of stuff behind the curtains and just being really bad at keeping his audience updated on what he's up to.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2013, 01:08:37 pm »

I've seen it WAAAY too often, this whole kickstart abuse.

Good intentions are many, but commitment gets lost somewhere down the line when a dev suddenly has a decent amount of money. It's kind of silly really, use the money to fund your project, finish it, get the help you need, don't be greedy, release and then reap not only the benefits of additional money from sales, but the renown that comes from being one of the few devs that actually comes through on promises.

Not saying that's the case, but it IS what it appears to be....
Poysky Productions

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2013, 01:32:01 pm »

Well, there's two parts to this... I've been meaning to make a topic on this for months now, but I guess I'll just put the gist of it over here.

First, I have to say I don't think it's KS abuse. I don't doubt people do have good intentions. I don't doubt they really think they can make a game. Heck, it always seems so simple when you're thinking about it - but the technicalities creep up on you, and there's a lot more to game development than just starting to type out code. What I think is that, as potential Kickstarter backers, it is up to US to decide what gets funded and what doesn't. As long as there's a "market" for dreamy eyed fellows who have never coded anything but think they can do it, they're gonna use KS! If nobody funds projects from people without portfolios, well then, you'll start getting projects from people that HAVE portfolios. It really is that simple. I've made a conscious decision to entirely stop backing projects from people who don't have some serious portfolios. If you haven't walked the walk, I'm not going to fund you... not because I doubt your sincerity or your intentions, but I do doubt your capabilities. The problem isn't so much becoming greedy as it is actually MAKING a game.

This is becoming particularly true as new engines like GameMaker and Unity allow you to quickly hack together something that looks like an initial game. The problem is that behind the scenes, it's spaghetti code all over the place, and impossible to extend properly. As you add more and more duct tape to hold new features together, you get very strongly diminishing returns on the time you're investing into programming the game, because everything is breaking apart.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2013, 02:43:52 pm »

I've seen it WAAAY too often, this whole kickstart abuse.

Good intentions are many, but commitment gets lost somewhere down the line when a dev suddenly has a decent amount of money. It's kind of silly really, use the money to fund your project, finish it, get the help you need, don't be greedy, release and then reap not only the benefits of additional money from sales, but the renown that comes from being one of the few devs that actually comes through on promises.

Not saying that's the case, but it IS what it appears to be....
That's not KS abuse at all.

There are always more way for a product to fail  then for a produce to succeed. Which means, that no matter how you fund, it, most projects will fail.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2015, 10:10:58 am »

The Steam Store page for this went live.
Figured I'd necro this thread with the news seeing as I first heard about it here at B12.
It's not out yet, but it's getting closer.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2015, 11:43:15 am »

Huh, that's looking pretty snazzy, actually.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2015, 02:20:43 pm »

Curious! I shall keep an eye on this. I was wondering what happened to it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2015, 02:26:22 pm »

Geezzz i tought it went vaporware, im glad to see i was wrong!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2015, 09:06:30 pm »

Definitely worth watch.  I notice they don't list the price, they might be upping the price from what the initially quoted.  They should still give the preorders and Indigo contributors the game without any extra cost.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 10, 2015, 08:56:41 am »

Huh, glad someone caught this. I had donated a long time back but had written this one off as vaporware as well.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 10, 2015, 09:00:12 am »

don't remember if I donated or not. anyone can share some generic text from the confirmation email so I can search it back?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 10, 2015, 09:50:53 am »

I'm not sure with the case for you, I have my paypal receipt from three years ago for Starship Corporation Pre Order.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 10, 2015, 11:08:38 am »

It doesn't look like I have a confirmation email, but there are a decent number of emails from Indiegogo entitled "Updates from 'Starship Corporation'" (of course, if you didn't use them then you won't have those emails). Search also for "Coronado Games".

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2018, 09:20:56 pm »

This actually got a final release.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11