Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Starship Corporation (Building/Management)  (Read 30255 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starship Corporation (Building/Management)
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2012, 09:58:30 pm »

BUGS?! In ALPHA?! What kind of crazy game has those?! How could we as a community have any perspective whatsoever in this?!

Sarcasm aside, this game looks to have significant potential, although multiplayer is just a bad idea. The ship design interface is complex, difficult, yet intuitive and even with only one hull available at the moment there are many ways to get the ship within spec for the contract. If approached in the right way, this game could very well be great. Only time will tell.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2012, 10:45:49 pm »

Wait really?  Did you fulfill the contract?  I'd deemed it physically impossible to fit so many items into so little space - and that's saying something.  I personally claim to be a master of the space-folding arts and the creation of more space on the inside of otherwise rigid items.  If I say it doesn't fit, that means a lot.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2012, 02:39:10 am »

The ship design interface is complex, difficult, yet intuitive and even with only one hull available at the moment there are many ways to get the ship within spec for the contract.
Elaborate? As far as I could tell, having even half the necessary rooms pushed the crew requirement over the limit, making the contract unfulfillable.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2012, 03:26:26 am »

This is not an alpha. This is worse than a tech demo. FFS, the developers didn't even bother to check the possibility of their winning condition.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2012, 05:00:14 am »

Also, there is one med room that is needed and can't be placed (always greyed).

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2012, 05:27:31 am »

A screen shoot would be great.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2012, 06:05:30 am »

You don't need all the things in the thing at the top, only thing things in the panel on the right (ie, you only need what was asked of you, not everything needed for the ship to do everything). It's still impossible due to the required crew being over the max crew limit.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2012, 07:19:37 am »

This is not an alpha. This is worse than a tech demo. FFS, the developers didn't even bother to check the possibility of their winning condition.

Dariush, it's cool to have high standards. That said, leave them at the door when exploring Alphas or just play finished games. This type of overly harsh criticism is unnecessary and unwarranted. This was a proof of concept the dev delivered to show the overarching feel for one element of his proposed game while he tries to raise funding to make it. It is not a game yet, should not be judged as a game yet. Create a list of issues you have with the concept, concerns you have about the direction of development and suggestions you would like to see implemented. If you can't be bothered with any of that why not go to any thread about completed games and bash away?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2012, 08:06:03 am »

You don't need all the things in the thing at the top, only thing things in the panel on the right (ie, you only need what was asked of you, not everything needed for the ship to do everything). It's still impossible due to the required crew being over the max crew limit.

You should cut down on maintenance to reduce the crew members needed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2012, 10:59:32 am »

"Tech Demo" is right.  It shows that the buttons can be clicked and that the game engine works.  It doesn't show gameplay, it's not trying to at this point.  It's just showing you that it's not hot air and they are actually developing it.

I think there's too many games that have playable alpha state, makes you forget that a lot of alpha development is getting the engine complete and THEN adding content and purpose.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2012, 11:40:47 am »

I'm pretty sure the demo mission is impossible.

Still can't put enough tech crew. Also, before exporting the plan(which is how I assume you tell the game you're done), it said I lacked a galley, although during the export it said I had one, but said I went over the crew limit(I didn't). I also didn't connect all the EEVs.
Not sure why a short-range cargo hauler needs so much stuff or crew. There was only enough room for two cargo bays, which didn't take up as much space as I thought a ship dedicated to cargo transport would. Plus, all that empty but unusable space ???.

Might be more fun when it's more finished.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2012, 11:42:29 am »

hmm , made in gamermaker.
wut

When you make such heart-breaking statements, make sure to supply them with proof. :(

It says here:
Background:

My career started off with 3D Animation for advertising, then Character Animation for the Game Company Jowood - Neighbours from Hell. I created the Lasertag game company “LazerCombat” www.lazercombat.com that is currently run by my brother Stefan. I had no programming experience prior to starting this project except a little scripting in Adobe Director and Flash, but I quickly learned to use the excellent tool GameMaker for my plans. I make this game because I am dying to play it – so you can be sure I will finish this project.

But I don't see any problems on it being made on Game Maker though. Truly there are A LOT of bad games made on Game Maker, but it's because of
a) it has a free version
b) it's easy to make a crappy game and publish on their website for anyone to see

But there are some good games made with it too. Like Wanderlust: Rebirth and Gunpoint(still in alpha, but it's awesome). And from what I saw, he knows what he is doing.
didn't one of our fellow bay12ers make Crazy Lazer Space using gamemaker? Shook or someone. I cant remember their name right now. But the game is quite well made, and brutally difficult.
Yup, angry lazer space is made by shook.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2012, 01:16:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure the demo mission is impossible.

Still can't put enough tech crew. Also, before exporting the plan(which is how I assume you tell the game you're done), it said I lacked a galley, although during the export it said I had one, but said I went over the crew limit(I didn't). I also didn't connect all the EEVs.
Not sure why a short-range cargo hauler needs so much stuff or crew. There was only enough room for two cargo bays, which didn't take up as much space as I thought a ship dedicated to cargo transport would. Plus, all that empty but unusable space ???.

Might be more fun when it's more finished.
You need to power stuff by shift+dragging from the generator to things to be powered. Each generator can only power 10 things (power relay counts for all corridors and doors), and only on the same deck as it.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2012, 02:31:21 pm »

I was incredibly interested in this game, until it was revealed that there were bugs in the alpha.  Iterative design doesn't exist, so I can be 100% certain that these issues will be a permanent plague upon the game.  Thank you for the warning.

Actually, scratch that.  I just remembered that I'm not a complete numskull.  This looks pretty neat, can't wait to see what it looks like in a year or so.

E: What has just caused me to lose all interest is the fact that I'd need to pay $100 in order to get the entire game.  Bugger that.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 02:58:24 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2012, 04:06:55 pm »

Wait really?  $100?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11