Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space Program - Logistics & Info  (Read 51334 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space Program - Logistics & Info
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 10:04:27 pm »

N.I.G.H.T.M.A.R.E.

Neutralizing Intruders Greatly Honors This Management Association, Rarely Ethically

I love you.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 10:06:44 pm »

I love you.
Reading that gave me a warm fuzzy feeling... despite you being a total stranger...  :-*?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 10:07:48 pm »

P.E.A.C.E

Protecting Earth alliances completely ethically.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 10:15:41 pm »

If elected the Head of Mars Colony Defense, I shall to erect a wall of cage traps in a hollow spherical formation all around mars. It shall be impenetrable... unless Terra allies with clowns.
*read with french accent*
"Elected"? No no, monsiuer. The time for elections is past. All positions must be claimed, and be Approved by either moi or President Fancy pants.

I claim head of Earth relations. As only a person with sanity can correctly deal with humanity without flipping out and shooting at the diplomat.
Diplomatic Realtions Empty of terran-Angering Magma, or DREAM. Lame, I know, But i'm tired.

EDIT: Ninja corai beat me to it. I nearly got doom, but I couldn't think of a second O.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 10:30:41 pm »

I claim head of Earth relations. As only a person with sanity can correctly deal with humanity without flipping out and shooting at the diplomat.
...call being our ambassador, since I feel I am the only one capable of communicating with otherworldly life without starting a war within the first ten seconds.

While I highly doubt you'd be able to do a better job than me, I grant you the position. Mainly due to the fact that I will probably be too busy dealing with assassination attempts motivated by a deep-rooted hatred for my choice of lower bodywear.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2012, 10:33:16 pm »

Admittedly I haven't read a single post in any of the B12 space program threads, but this all looks extraordinarily silly.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2012, 10:34:03 pm »

...call being our ambassador, since I feel I am the only one capable of communicating with otherworldly life without starting a war within the first ten seconds.

While I highly doubt you'd be able to do a better job than me, I grant you the position. Mainly due to the fact that I will probably be too busy dealing with assassination attempts motivated by a deep-rooted hatred for my choice of lower bodywear.

Thank you sir.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2012, 10:41:34 pm »

Admittedly I haven't read a single post in any of the B12 space program threads, but this all looks extraordinarily silly.
Firstly this probably belongs wiht the open discussion thread. That is ruled by brainfreez and waffle. Waffle is pretty passive, but Brainfreez is a harsh, if absoulutely crackers, dungeon master.

Second, We thank you for your interest, but We are entirely serious. Seriously.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2012, 10:47:25 pm »

I'm claiming Minister of Extra Terrestrial Affairs (META). My job will be to affair the terrestrials of extra ministry. Oh, and throwing colonies, because that's kind of my gimmick these days.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2012, 11:18:33 pm »

Socks are worth killing for.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 01:37:14 am »

Hey all of you who posted to watch!  YES YOU! Do you see that button right next to Reply, which I know you clicked, that says "Notify"?  Yes!  You can click that one instead, and no one has to see how interested you are!  You can save literally TENS of keystrokes!  Keystrokes which could instead be employed programming a Martian colony ship!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 01:41:36 am »

And you could have saved even more keystrokes by keeping your little rant to yourself  ;)
Get back to work, colony ship-slave!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 02:31:58 am »

Hey all of you who posted to watch!  YES YOU! Do you see that button right next to Reply, which I know you clicked, that says "Notify"?  Yes!  You can click that one instead, and no one has to see how interested you are!  You can save literally TENS of keystrokes!  Keystrokes which could instead be employed programming a Martian colony ship!
Do they get added to "show replies to your posts", I have a faint memory of someone saying they didn't.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 03:43:24 am »

Realistically, the moon should be the jumping point for any large scale operations in space. A lunar base would be fairly cheap to setup, resource-wise, due to pre-existing research done on building there. Lunarcrete has quite a few advantages over other building materials for lunar operations. It is not, however, airtight; you'd have to use a secondary sealing material. Additionally, research has been done into 3D printers using lunar dust as their printing material; combine that with something like RepRap.

Transporting a large number of people off earth to your selected colonization site is going to be expensive and resource intensive. It'd be more efficient to launch a bare-bones 'ark' from earth, and collect supplies from a lunar base before heading towards your destination. Fuel, oxygen, building materials, water and food can all be prepared at a lunar 'gas station'. If the 'ark' is only used to ferry supplies/people between the moon and, say, Phobos, it'd be safer and more efficient to then get the people onto/off the planet via shuttles from their orbiting satellites, and let the 'ark' be specialized for the long distance trips between the moons.

In regards to long durations in low gravity, research has recently successfully been done into gene modifications that prevent bone loss for mice in low gravity environments.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 04:52:57 am »

Heh.

So...logistics and info.

Apparently, we have chosen to set up or main colony on Mars. I have been self-appointed Head Biological Officer, and no one has argued. We have considered genetic engineering to deal with various problems; the best suggestion insofar as that goes is to create symbiosis with photosynthetic bacteria, which I guess isn't all genetic engineering. Also, we're planning a war with Terra once we get established. Well, some are, I'm advocating more peaceful solutions, like THREATENING war and death from above and all of that.
Logistics? This is tricky. To survive attack, likely most of our stuff will be deep underground. Also, power will be based on geothermal and solar. Food will be grown either with artificial light or in big greenhouses on the Martian (or Lunar--I've suggested a military base on Luna for better access to Terran orbital space. Not that reliance on surface greenhouses would be a good idea, so close to Terra...) surface. Asteroid mining would probably be a good idea, and along with that some kind of Ceres-based, erm, base would be neat. These widely-flung bases would make communication an issue, so each base or spaceship should have a captain/mayor/whatever with absolute power until he comes back to an area in contact with some other power. Naturally, if they violated the guidelines or goals outlined by Central Command (probably on Mars), this would be treason, but punishment would be light(er?) on those who simply followed the captain's orders. After all, what could a single spaceship do that's worth losing a well-trained crew who was interested in not risking the ship? Speaking of soaceships, they should be covered in photovoltaic cells except for the thingy that expels waste heat; this both increases available power AND makes us harder to detect by Terran ships. Obviously, most of this would be under debate or is already, but most of it is (IMNSHO) reasonable and logical.
1. Mars has been geologically death for the last million years. You're going to have to dig deep to find a temperature difference enough to provide geothermal
2. Mars has a 6 year storm cycle. During the storms, solar power input can fall as far back as to 1% of normal levels, and surface equipment is going to be destroyed.
3. Mars has no magnetical field to shield it from solar flares. A flare will seriously damage any and all surface equipment, like solar pannels.

Due to this fact, I strongly suggest that the main power source of the martian base should be nuclear. A few tonnes of nuclear materials will last ages, especially if they are being supplemented by solar power. Also, the heat from a nuclear reactor can be employed to melt ice, and even turn it into hydrogen, which can be used to fuel our ships. Besides, we can also reuse the fuel or turn it into nuclear weaponry.

Also, solar pannels are terrible at absorbing sunlight. Even the most efficient pannels reflect about 60%. Painting the ship black would make it more stealthy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24