Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to find things to fight?  (Read 1817 times)

Nightcaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to find things to fight?
« on: August 04, 2012, 10:55:17 pm »

Greetings. I've recently started playing this game, only an Adventure mode type, not really a Fortress kinda person.

I've gotten the hang of a few things, thanks to the wiki generously provided, except I've never found coverage of how I can find enemies. I need to fight enemies to advance my character, so that I will be able to take on tougher things and grow. I have not found anything to fight, not even by traveling. I can't get anything to jump me. One time, Kobolds jumped me, but at my beginning stage, I'm in no shape to fight them.

Any tips on how I can find singular, or multiple weak enemies to train on? I'm stumped on this.

On a slightly unrelated note, I have been having trouble finding any shops. Plenty of houses, plenty of people with different crafts, but nobody in which I can buy from. Are there specific places that I can find shops, or is it a matter of wandering around and finding "Shop" in the specific structures list during travel? I'm overdue for some armor, or at least a staff (unless there are no staves in this game).

Thanks for helping out a newbie, I hope I asked good, specific questions politely.  :)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to find things to fight?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:58:02 pm »

Ah, yes. New adventurers are not uncommon my hordes to pounce on and devour.

Try going up to someone, talking with K, asking for service. If you are lucky you may get a vampire or werebeast, which are impossibly easy to fight (and torture, to get your skills up)

Fast travel to a city and go to the keep, there should be tons of shops around the keep.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 11:03:06 pm »

Oh man, i know the feeling you must be having.

Alright, to find some harmless animals to brutally dismember and torture for the purpose of training skills, i recommend you travel a little bit from a town, go into sneaking mode(Shift + S) And just walk around until you find a bird or something. You can find a bunch of crabs if you can find a beach.

And shops, the way this works is, there are hamlets, and there are towns/cities. hamlets never have shops. Towns/Cities almost always have temples, shops, and a keep you can rob for free with no bad side effects.

Sadly, there are no staves in the game, but im sure there is/will be eventually be a mod that includes them.

But yeah, to find creatures, go into sneak mode, and just wander around.

And a quick word of advice, whenever you aren't fast traveling, you should be sneaking, you ALWAYS want to be the first one to see the other person, and this will stop you from randomly taking a bolt in the knee out of no where unless you bump right into a bowman.

Whatever you do, DO NOT ATTACK A STRAY CAT OR DOG. Just don't, you know how on Legend of Zelda games if you hit a chicken too many times a few hundred chickens come out of nowhere and rape your face? Well, that will happen in this game, just, there will be dogs, turkeys, peacocks, people, and etc. chasing you looking for your head on a pike.

But yeah, thats all the tips i really have for you, good luck in your adventures.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 12:56:37 am »

Talk to peasants.  ask about surroundings.  Usually they mention an animal roams here or mcdouchbag has a lair there.  or jump right into bandit killing quests(services).  Unless you plan to cheese or know what you are doing I reccomend bringing a friend(found in houses, fortresses, shops, and keeps), if only to the river...

If you do get some animal
 make sure you either snap its legs or choke it, to prevent running.

also remember, if one thing sees you, neutral or not, you stop sneaking.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Nightcaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:42:48 am »

Thank you for all of the helpful replies. I've managed to get a bandit killing quest, as well as the maximum amount of companions currently (2). I was heading to the site on foot (not travel), and then elves attacked us. My companions tore apart two of them in record time, and I tried to help with the last one by wrestling his weapon out of his hand. I accidentally used my arm for that instead of my hand, so I had to switch it, but missed. As a result, my head was cut off in one hit. He managed to get my head in ONE HIT. I can barely aim for anyone's upper body, but it only takes him one hit?  :-[

Thanks for the advice, it's helping a lot so far. Hopefully I'll find better ways to read the map as I go, because I still don't understand the cartography system, and get lost very often. Ironhand's tileset really helps, but I'll probably have to remove it later so I can get myself used to the ASCII (even though it strains my eyes).

EDIT: I have finished the quest, just barely. It was a very close call. I disarmed a lot of weapons, bit an elf's ears and nose off, and when I was starting to leave the site after killing the target, a crossbowman came to avenge his comrades and took all three of us, being me and my companions, to the ground. I crawled out of the site while they went and took care of the crossbowman, and we traveled back to town, although I think I'm missing a companion...  ???

Overall, quite an epic adventure I was able to visualize just through one quest. This combat system is really nice, I wish I could say the same about trying to navigate the game.  ::)

I can't wait to learn more about how DF works, and improve my skills. :) Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:46:59 am by Nightcaper »

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 02:01:22 am »

He just has more experience and practice than u. Train up your skills and you'll do better

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 10:29:31 am »

He managed to get my head in ONE HIT. I can barely aim for anyone's upper body, but it only takes him one hit?  :-[
Now that DF draws from historical populations, you get a lot of war veterans showing up here and there... Not to mention Elves tend to have lifespans of immortal.

Immortality + war veteran = Earned a lot of skills = Better than someone just born with skills :P

You gotta earn dem stripes